Record Collector Nov 2009 - Morrissey Top 50

terrancestamp

FINALLY!!! I am sure the list will create great debate here. Morrissey will adorn the cover of the magazine that hits newstands on Nov 19th. Should be fun!

Re: Record Collector Morrissey Top 50 out next week.

FINALLY!!! I am sure the list will create great debate here. Morrissey will adorn the cover of the magazine that hits newstands on Nov 19th. Should be fun!

ooooh. can't wait!

:D This issue is well overdue.
I sent RC an email in 2006 and I was told "Morrissey will be featured next year". LOL

So thrilled. Thanks for the good news.
:thumb:

Thanks for the heads up this will be interesting reading

I suppose the only way to get a copy of the magazine will be to order the back issue than, do not see any link to order just one copy...:rolleyes:
Cheers Moz

I'm sure it's going to make me regret selling both copies of the clear vinyl IBEH 7" I had, even tho I got a lot for them.

i went to bed last night wondering what would be on the list.

Anyone Stateside want a copy, let me know - I'll get you one and post it on for cost plus postage.

Peter

i went to bed last night wondering what would be on the list.

I'm more worried that if he is on the cover Mr. Sphinx might browse the magazine and realise that my collection is a bit more serious than he thinks it is::(

I ve rang them in the past to order the latest issue. . You can order by credit card and pay p+p and they ll send it on. Im in work right now so i dont have the no. Ill post it when i get home its listed in the mag. They post international too

Alan

Last edited:
I'm more worried that if he is on the cover Mr. Sphinx might browse the magazine and realise that my collection is a bit more serious than he thinks it is::(

Bugger :( Best hide RC when I get it next week.

I wonder how many of these will make it on to the list (taken from earlier threads http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=75697 & http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=75325&page=2 )

1. 3 track Dean-o audition/label interest CD-R (does this exist?)
2. Interlude 3" CD-R
3. Suedehead S. African 1-sided promo 7"s
4. Everyday S. African 1-sided promo 7"s
5. No One an Hold A Candle To You Promo
6. Viva Hate - UK Promo box set
7. You Are The Quarry Korean With Different Booklet Photo
8. the Bowie/Morrissey outsiders tour promo cd/pack Boy Racer
9. That's Entertainment Promo
10. The Loop French promo
11. Family Line French promo
12. 10" We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful (promo) 10POP1629
13. 10" You're The One For Me Fatty (promo) 10POP1630
14. 12POPDJ1620 12" Suedehead (numbered promo) 12POPDJ1618
15. 12" Every Day Is Like Sunday (promo) 12POPDJ1619
16. 12" The Last Of The Famous International Playboys (promo)
17. 12" Interesting Drug (promo) 12POPDJ1621
18. 12" Ouija Board Ouija Board (promo) 12POPDJ1622
19. 12" November Spawned A Monster (promo) 12POPDJ1623
20. 7" Piccadilly Palare (promo) POPDJ1624
21. 7" Our Frank (promo) POPDJ1625
22. 7" Sing Your Life (promo) POPDJ1626
23. 7" Pregnant For The Last Time (promo) POPDJ1627
24. 7" My Love Life (promo) POPDJ1628
25. Education in Reverse - Australia LP
26. Viva Hate Japanese LP + Hairdresser on fire 7" promo
27. "Two Lumps Please" mug from Bowie Tour
28. Pregnant For The Last Time Puzzle Japan
29. Under The Influence (promo) UTICD001PROMO
30. The Morrissey... Australian sampler 12"
31. 12" Roy's Keen Island 12IS671
32. Suedehead - Japanese 7" promo
33. I Know Very Well How I Got My Note Wrong cd single
34. I Know Very Well How I Got My Note Wrong 7" single
35. Beethoven was Deaf LP
36. Southpaw Grammar LP with Limited Edition Booklet
37. 7" Certain People I Know (promo) POPDJ1631
38. I Just Want To See The Boy Happy cd
39. I Just Want To See The Boy Happy 12" pic disc
40. I Just Want To See The Boy Happy 7" pic disc
41. I Just Want To See The Boy Happy 7"
42. Hold On To Your Friends UK promo 7" RDJ6383
43. Hold On To Your Friends UK promo cd CDRDJ6383
44. You Are The Quarry Interview Promo
45. The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get cd (promo) CDRDJ6372
46. The More You Ignore Me The Closer I Get 7" (promo) RDJ6372
47. Now My Heart Is Full US (promo) cd Sire/Reprise PRO-CD-6970
48. Nancy Sinatra "Let Me Kiss You" promo CD with Morrissey cover
49. Nancy Sinatra "Let Me Kiss You" promo 7" with Morrissey cover
50. Interesting Drug Birthday Sleeve Promo
51. The Boy Racer cd (promo) RCA BOY1
52. Interlude 7" Parlophone R6365
53. Interlude 12" Parlophone 12R6365
54. Interlude cd Parlophone CDR6365
55. Sunny cd (promo) CDRDJ6243
56. Boxers cd (promo) CDRDJX6400
57. Alma Matters cd (promo) Island, CIDDJ667
58. Roy's Keen cd (promo) Island, CIDDJ667
59. Satan Rejected My Soul 7" Island IS686 (with 3 track sleeve)
60. Irish Blood English Heart cd (promo) ATKPX002
61. Irish Blood English Heart 12" ATKTW019
62. Irish Blood English Heart 7" US black vinyl
63. Irish Blood English Heart 7" US clear vinyl
64. First Of The Gang To Die 1 track cd-r (promo) ATKPX003
65. First Of The Gang To Die 1 track cd-r different font print on sleeve (promo) ATKPX003
66. First Of The Gang To Die cd 4 track (promo) ATKPX003
67. Rare Tracks - Japanese cd
68. Vauxhall and I LP
69. Any Of The Live Westwood One Type Radio Shows (need to specify)
70. The Suedehead Best Of Morrissey bonus rarities disc (needs validation)
71. Peepholism Hardcover
72. Peepholism Softcover

Dave

What im interested in is the prices they put on things,which if the Smiths top 100 one is anything to go by will be way off.

Alan

The website I know of is www.recordcollectormag.com. The Top 50 features in the Christmas 2009 issue, number 370. I've seen the list of entries but I don't know why they stopped at 50 (and not, say, 100).:thumb:

Rather sadly I have 46 of the 72 items listed (by Grim) above. But I wonder how many of them will end up in the RC list...

I think some of them were high value when Grim put the list together, but once the initial rush of 'I must get the latest promo' has died down, the prices drop. So, for example, I picked up the Boxers promo a few weeks ago for £3 - so I doubt it will make the RC top 50.

Equally, I don't think that RC will waste much space in a list of 50 to place 3 or 4 versions of the same record - 4 versions of Irish Blood???

I think RC will also strike a balance between out and out rarity and collectability - in a list of most collectable, it might not be the rarest and most expensive that make it - for example, my favourite items are the TRex - Certain People I Know promo and the SPM29 Interesting Drug Etched disc - neither of them are mega expensive or mega rare - but both very desirable. I don't think there is much point in listing the South African Suedehead promo if no one has a copy and no one has ever seen one for sale http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=104146, and Morrissey test pressings are as rare as hen's teeth, so I think only a few will appear - but the coloured promos for the first 6 12" singles are very collectable - if not particularly valuable. If you compare the two lists that RC put together for The Smiths, the original list had lots of test pressings in there, the second one had far fewer - mainly very rare ones in the top 10, the rest of the list was made up of various items of interest from around the world.

It would be a brave collector indeed that could confidently predict the top 50 (any one want a go before the mag hits the shelves?), but I think, from the list above, these will probably be in the list:
6. Viva Hate - UK Promo box set
8. the Bowie/Morrissey outsiders tour promo cd/pack
9. That's Entertainment Promo
10. The Loop French promo
11. Family Line French promo
25. Education in Reverse - Australia LP (or possibly the cassette - not on Grim's list)
26. Viva Hate Japanese LP + Hairdresser on fire 7" promo
30. The Morrissey... Australian sampler 12"
32. Suedehead - Japanese 7" promo
33. I Know Very Well How I Got My Note Wrong cd single or 34. I Know Very Well How I Got My Note Wrong 7" single (but not both)
50. Interesting Drug Birthday Sleeve Promo - SPM29​
The rest of the promos will be random as to which make the list and which don't - but the current values for the 7" vinyl promos for Certain People I Know and Hold On To Your Friends - would suggest (to me, at least) that the vinyl promos will make it above the CD / CDr promos.

What does anyone else think?

And, does anyone want to predict how many of the RC top 50 list they already have in their collection? I pessimistically predict that I will only have at most 15 of the list - I've still got less than half of the Smiths top 100, and nothing from the top 10, and that's been out for years :(

Dave

Back
Top Bottom