Recipes - post them here

merz

❤❤❤❤
I've noticed that there are a bunch of people who I'd consider to be "Foodies", so I thought I'd start a thread where we can post recipes & recipe reviews, etc!

I'm a part time Pastry Chef, so I love baking, cake decorating, sugar craft, etc.

One of my favourite fool proof recipes is for the French fluffy lemony morsels of delight that are Madeleines.

*Note: The resting period is critical for texture & rising.

INGREDIENTS

• 40 g unsalted butter, chopped
  • 100 g (¾ cup) plain flour
  • ½ tsp baking powder
  • 100 g caster sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1½ tbsp milk
  • 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
  • 1 lemon, zested
  • softened butter, for brushing
  • melted butter and caster sugar for serving (optional)

Melt the chopped butter in a small saucepan over high heat and cook until nut brown.
Sift the flour, baking powder and sugar into a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg with the milk. Pour this into the flour mixture and whisk until combined, then add the vanilla seeds and whisk again. Gradually pour in the browned butter and whisk well, then whisk in the lemon zest. Allow the mixture to rest for 1–2 hours in the refrigerator.
Preheat the oven to 170°C. Brush softened butter into the madeleine moulds, coating well. Spoon or pipe the mixture into the moulds and bake for 6–10 minutes, or until golden.
Tap the madeleines out of the moulds onto a rack to cool briefly. Serve dipped in melted butter and caster sugar if desired.

Last edited:
Re: Recipes -post them here!

great idea for a thread :)
just wondering, would it be a complete disaster if I substituted "margarine" for butter and tried this?
only say this cuz "real butter" can be hard to find here or real expensive :o

just wondering, would it be a complete disaster if I substituted "margarine" for butter and tried this?

It would be a crime. Because in this particular recipe, butter is a central ingredient. A star player, if you will. Also, margarine has a higher water content and does not produce the same texture as butter in baked goods. However, some things, like cookies, are fine when using margarine--like Nestle's Toll House chocolate chip cookies.

Thanks :) It was your food related posts that inspired this thread, so thank you!
As for the substitution: Unfortunately you cannot substitute the butter. The beurre noisette, (brown or "burnt" butter) gives the Madeleines it nutty flavour & plays a part in the texture.

I'll tell you what. How about you tell me what's cheap and easily accessible in China and I'll give you a quick and easy foolproof recipe!

How about Pavlova? Mangosteens would be awesome on a Pavlova! (it's basically egg whites, sugar, dash of vinegar, cream & fruits of your choice).

It would be a crime. Because in this particular recipe, butter is a central ingredient. A star player, if you will. Also, margarine has a higher water content and does not produce the same texture as butter in baked goods. However, some things, like cookies, are fine when using margarine--like Nestle's Toll House chocolate chip cookies.
shit, I thought so, also, I just remembered, some Chinese friends of mine want me to oversee the cooking of some kind of "pheasant-turkey hybrid" I am just going to treat is as a low weight bird and check it a lot
this is my chance to shine as a "Western foodie" btw...

It is a crime lol! But butter can be substituted in a lot of baked goods,(we've a vegan line, as well) just not the French ones, or where butter is the "star".

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

shit, I thought so, also, I just remembered, some Chinese friends of mine want me to oversee the cooking of some kind of "pheasant-turkey hybrid" I am just going to treat is as a low weight bird and check it a lot
this is my chance to shine as a "Western foodie" btw...

The key is getting the skin crisp. Render the fat out of that bad boy via a hot oven--450 F for 15-20 minutes. Turn it down to 325-350 F for the remainder of the cooking time. Are you making an American Thanksgiving dinner for them?

- - - Updated - - -

It is a crime lol! But butter can be substituted in a lot of baked goods,(we've a vegan line, as well) just not the French ones, or where butter is the "star".

- - - Updated - - -

turducken ?!?

Is is a vegan hydrogenated oil? No whey, eh? Doesn't take like butter though. Nothing tastes like butter, except butter.

The key is getting the skin crisp. Render the fat out of that bad boy via a hot oven--450 F for 15-20 minutes. Turn it down to 325-350 F for the remainder of the cooking time. Are you making an American Thanksgiving dinner for them?
sort of, I'd like to come early and show how to make a stuffing from the guts
as for your temps, the oven is only in C, but I'll figure it out :thumb:

turducken ?!?

If so - It can be tricky thing - to get all the meat cooked just right, get the skin crispy.

crispy skin, thats all I am gonna worry about, maybe cut some parts all the way through, for better "total body cooking"
also, they will like seeing something like that, since they really take any animal and chop it all up bones and all, they believe the bone adds to the flavor
they may be right, but I will try to appease both those concerns and the bones being easily removed
a truly "Chinese-American" Thanksgiving :rolleyes:

sort of, I'd like to come early and show how to make a stuffing from the guts
as for your temps, the oven is only in C, but I'll figure it out :thumb:

Better to not cook the stuffing in the bird. The stuffing acts as a sponge, absorbing the juices. You want the moisture to stay in the flesh, not end up in the bread.

450F=232C ~ 350F=177F

- - - Updated - - -

crispy skin, thats all I am gonna worry about, maybe cut some parts all the way through, for better "total body cooking"
also, they will like seeing something like that, since they really take any animal and chop it all up bones and all, they believe the bone adds to the flavor
they may be right, but I will try to appease both those concerns and the bones being easily removed

Peking duck. Crispy skin is what the Chinese do best. You are putting yourself up against masters. Maybe you should make meat loaf. :lbf:

You are going up against the masters when it comes to crispy skin--Peking duck, anyone? Maybe let them cook the bird and you do the side dishes. Mashed potatoes--done well--would send them over the moon.

Better to not cook the stuffing in the bird. The stuffing acts as a sponge, absorbing the juices. You want the moisture to stay in the flesh, not end up in the bread.

450F=232C ~ 350F=177F

- - - Updated - - -

good point, got it
Peking duck. Crispy skin is what the Chinese do best. You are putting yourself up against masters. Maybe you should make meat loaf. :lbf:

You are going up against the masters when it comes to crispy skin--Peking duck, anyone? Maybe let them cook the bird and you do the side dishes. Mashed potatoes--done well--would send them over the moon.
even better, mashed potatoes & gravy, @ such I am a British-American god! :D

good point, got it

even better, mashed potatoes & gravy, @ such I am a British-American god! :D

Yes! Gravy. But how do you make great gravy without roasting the bird and using the pan juices to build it? That is another reason not to stuff the bird. You need that rendered fat and extra juices in the pan--not the bread--in order to make a gravy.

Yes! Gravy. But how do you make great gravy without roasting the bird and using the pan juices to build it? That is another reason not to stuff the bird. You need that rendered fat and extra juices in the pan--not the bread--in order to make a gravy.

believe it or not, I knew that, but thanks :)

When possible, we use coconut butter, apple 'butter', puréed fruits and nuts etcetera.

I wholeheartedly agree that nothing tastes like butter (I LOVE French butter!!), but we have to accommodate for people's dietary needs and lifestyle choices. (tbh, I always cringe when they say no butter, not to their faces of course!)

Recently had a customer who wanted macarons. Low fat, no sugar..anddd allergic to almond meal! That has been 1 of my biggest challenges so far. But, with the help of my mentor, many days later and after many failed batches.. we did it! It was a bittersweet moment! Customer was satisfied and that is what matters in the end. :)

I am great with a turkey. Want to come for Thanksgiving dinner?

I'd love to :yum:! I've never had a Thanksgiving meal before. It'd be a very expensive dinner though, with me being in Sydney!

Do you have any recipes that you'd like to share, realitybites?

Tags
baking cooking desserts food recipes
Back
Top Bottom