Recently soundchecked but not played

I've been wondering which and how many songs have been soundchecked but not played on recent tours.

I know in '07 Never Played Symphonies was soundchecked a few times, and Speedway has constantly been soundchecked but never whipped out......annoyingly.

Do any of you know of anymore?

I'm sorry I can't help with your specific question, but since we're on the topic I'd like to add to it. When we were discussing how after adding "You Just Haven't Earned it Yet, Baby" to the setlist, Moz only has around 4 Smiths songs that he's never played live solo, many people were making the argument that this should not include Smiths songs that he's soundchecked. But I was completely lost at this -- I was completely unaware that Moz had at any time soundchecked such Smiths songs as 'Reel Around the Fountain', 'You've Got Everything Now', 'Miserable Lie', 'Pretty Girls Make Graves', 'The Hand that Rocks the Cradle', 'What Difference Does it Make', 'I Don't Owe You Anything', 'Suffer Little Children', 'Rusholme Ruffians', 'Nowhere Fast', 'Barbarism', and most of TQiD album in his solo years. When did this happen? :confused:

I'm sorry I can't help with your specific question, but since we're on the topic I'd like to add to it. When we were discussing how after adding "You Just Haven't Earned it Yet, Baby" to the setlist, Moz only has around 4 Smiths songs that he's never played live solo, many people were making the argument that this should not include Smiths songs that he's soundchecked. But I was completely lost at this -- I was completely unaware that Moz had at any time soundchecked such Smiths songs as 'Reel Around the Fountain', 'You've Got Everything Now', 'Miserable Lie', 'Pretty Girls Make Graves', 'The Hand that Rocks the Cradle', 'What Difference Does it Make', 'I Don't Owe You Anything', 'Suffer Little Children', 'Rusholme Ruffians', 'Nowhere Fast', 'Barbarism', and most of TQiD album in his solo years. When did this happen? :confused:

Most of those songs were soundchecked by the band without Morrissey... so it's likely Morrissey never intended to cover them. Morrissey particularly dislikes "What Difference Does It Make?" and "You've Got Everything Now", so it's not very likely that he will cover them.

Stephane

ive read that the band soundckecked even" lifeguard sleeping girl drowning "at the feb 95 tour...:love:

edit oops i just saw your mean recently...ooopps

Most of those songs were soundchecked by the band without Morrissey... so it's likely Morrissey never intended to cover them. Morrissey particularly dislikes "What Difference Does It Make?" and "You've Got Everything Now", so it's not very likely that he will cover them.

Stephane

Very interesting Stephane. Thank you for your always valuable information. :thumb:

Although I really don't think we should count these one-off soundchecks by the band as songs Morrissey has played live. :blushing:

Stephane

Agreed.. unlikely.. but he was once asked if he'd ever play At Amber live and his response was something like, "Why? It's a terrible song." but he did play it once in 2002.

I do like the way he changed YGEN to You've Got Nothing Now and would love to see that one played live.

Morrissey particularly dislikes "What Difference Does It Make?"

If this is true it's rather unfortunate. This is his "f*** you, I'm sick of being Mary Magdalene" song. And it's a fantastic song.

If this is true it's rather unfortunate. This is his "f*** you, I'm sick of being Mary Magdalene" song. And it's a fantastic song.

it's true alright. he's said this many a time.
but what does Moz know? he reckons his best song is 'that's how people grow up'!

it's true alright. he's said this many a time.
but what does Moz know? he reckons his best song is 'that's how people grow up'!

You mean what does Morrissey know? I'm not a big fan of his favorite song. :straightface:

I think he should do a kickass opening of Miserable Lie during the next portion of his tour. Subdue that crowd into awe.

Someone can chime in and correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading that he soundchecked "Ammunition" during the Maladjusted tour. I also recall reading that he soundchecked "Certain People I Know" and "Glamorous Glue" at the beginning of the 2002 tour. In fact, I believe the latter was actually on the Phoenix set list but not played. A shame, really.

Cheers,
Jamie

I might be wrong... but I thought that the recent addition of 'You Just Haven't heard it...' meant that there were now only 4 Smiths songs that Morrissey hadn't played live either as a Smith or solo. Not sure which songs these are, but I suspect they are all on Strangeways as this was released after the band split so there was no chance of a tour for that album.

Dave

I might be wrong... but I thought that the recent addition of 'You Just Haven't heard it...' meant that there were now only 4 Smiths songs that Morrissey hadn't played live either as a Smith or solo. Not sure which songs these are, but I suspect they are all on Strangeways as this was released after the band split so there was no chance of a tour for that album.

Dave

I posted in here, the following Smiths songs haven't either sound checked or played in live:

-Well I Wonder
-I Started Something I Couldn't Finish
-Unhappy Birthday
-I Won't Share You

I posted in here, the following Smiths songs haven't either sound checked or played in live:

-Well I Wonder
-I Started Something I Couldn't Finish
-Unhappy Birthday
-I Won't Share You

He sang the beginning of Unhappy birthday at his b-day show in St. Louis in 2007.
Does that count?

Just off the top of my head, has he ever sung Unloveable live? I'm not sure about Asleep too, I know there is a recording of Asleep from Inverness in 1985 or something but wasn't sure if this was a soundcheck or not!

Just off the top of my head, has he ever sung Unloveable live? I'm not sure about Asleep too, I know there is a recording of Asleep from Inverness in 1985 or something but wasn't sure if this was a soundcheck or not!

Asleep was played live. Johnny even played piano off stage!

Back
Top Bottom