Rebels Without Applause released as a single track - initially on some region's YT, now to buy & stream (November 24, 2022)

UPDATE (Nov. 25):

This Charming Bowie posted the story from official_morrissey_central / Instagram:

Morrissey's Rebels Without Applause is available today worldwide (including Britain) on Spotify,
courtesy of Capitol Records. The track is produced by Andrew Watt. This is Morrissey's first 'single' release since 'It's Over', taken from the 'California Son' album in November 2019. 'It's Over' peaked at number 1 in the UK vinyl chart.

Also now on Morrissey Central. Link posted by Famous when dead.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
So it's Morrissey making those messages on Morrissey Central, and not Sam Esty Rayner?

Both post on Central, I always believed.

Also as stubborn as M comes off as, he does change musical directions for reasons that we don’t know, but it’s possible that he does want to stay ‘modern’ or what he believes is a modern sound, within limits.

Both I always believed.

Oh. Well I'm going to be "the old who doesn't understand", then; I'm disappointed if Morrissey is hip to the generation of auto-tune software and self-made tribute videos. I've always thought him as above the idiot neon pop trends, even willfully against them.

Oh. Well I'm going to be "the old who doesn't understand", then; I'm disappointed if Morrissey is hip to the generation of auto-tune software and self-made tribute videos. I've always thought him as above the idiot neon pop trends, even willfully against them.

I believe he’s trying to find balance between being influenced by and retaining his own thing, as we’ve seen on Dog.

But it does hurt when a person is not what you imagined them to be. Is this entirely their fault though.

True, but when synth and glam were the broad way to the charts, the Smiths made 60s & 70s-influenced guitar music, and had gloomy almost monochromatic aesthetics. Morrissey also avoided the grunge and Britpop trends. I guess the closest he's come to selling out in terms of production was working with Jerry Finn, but the music itself there is still fairly removed from anything like Blink-182 or Sum 41; it was mostly Whyte and Boorer in their excellent maturity.

True, but when synth and glam were the broad way to the charts, the Smiths made 60s & 70s-influenced guitar music, and had gloomy almost monochromatic aesthetics. Morrissey also avoided the grunge and Britpop trends. I guess the closest he's come to selling out in terms of production was working with Jerry Finn, but the music itself is still fairly removed from anything like Blink-182 or Sum 41; it was Whyte and Boorer in their excellent maturity.

I always admired artists that refuse to do what’s expected by their fans, and embrace new technologies, but more importantly doing it their way, Dylan and Miles Davis comes to mind, going electric.

The worst productîon ever. Worse than Low in High school which is unbelievable. Bring us Street, Lillywhite or Visconti. I understand now why it took ages to get a record deal. Good luck Capitol (unless you signed only 1 LP) .If not ,Please delay the release and give the tapes to someone who can produce.

I always admired artists that refuse to do what’s expected by their fans, and embrace new technologies, but more importantly doing it their way, Dylan and Miles Davis comes to mind, going electric.

Autotune is so old, though. As someone else has said, Cher was more on the cutting edge with it 20 years ago than Morrissey is now. Dylan took up the electric guitar closer to the beginning of its resurgence via the British Invasion than when it had become stale. This is like if Dylan had played folk until 1979 and then started sounding like Toto or REO Speedwagon.

Had you heard "Knockabout world" live before the studio version, you would hate it now. Same for "Rebels". Stop listening to the live versions or you will ruin your album experience 😉

Autotune is so old, though. As someone else has said, Cher was more on the cutting edge with it 20 years ago than Morrissey is now. Dylan took up the electric guitar closer to the beginning of its resurgence via the British Invasion than when it had become stale. This is like if Dylan had played folk until 1979 and then started sounding like Toto or REO Speedwagon.

No technology is ‘old’ for the person using it for the first time, regardless of age.

And we should take into account that Morrissey is just a late bloomer?
in regards to him being open to the world, musical possibilities, etc.

I believe this is the case.

Had you heard "Knockabout world" live before the studio version, you would hate it now. Same for "Rebels". Stop listening to the live versions or you will ruin your album experience 😉

Well, I hated Knockabout World in both versions, but that's a different story. I do take your point, though. If I had heard the Rank version of I Know It's Over first, I would have been disappointed by the album version. But the album version is still decent. There's nothing in it that's overtly annoying like the autotune and too-bright atmospherics of this one.

No technology is ‘old’ for the person using it for the first time, regardless of age.

And we should take into account that Morrissey is just a late bloomer?
in regards to him being open to the world, musical possibilities, etc.

I believe this is the case.

Perhaps. Or maybe he is just, as some have suggested, in a state of total career discombobulation. I still love the batch of Bonfire of Teenagers songs. I will go listen to the "Baby J" version of Rebels, though, and stop clogging up this thread, as Carlisebaz put it, "every 4king time."

Well, I hated Knockabout World in both versions, but that's a different story. I do take your point, though. If I had heard the Rank version of I Know It's Over first, I would have been disappointed by the album version. But the album version is still decent. There's nothing in it that's overtly annoying like the autotune and too-bright atmospherics of this one.
Taste, of course, is personal. I love "The queen is dead" on Rank, which I heard first, and I don't like the studio version, which sounds to my ears a lot less powerful and angry. I took "Knockabout world" as example because I see it's a much loved song on here, and the live and studio versions are quite different.
Disappointment happened to me with the You are the quarry songs I already had heard live.

Last edited:
Even if I hadn't heard the live version of it, this is simply not good enough. Anyone with a set of decent ears can hear immediately why that is. A producer is supposed to enhance not diminish an artist's talents.

The worst productîon ever. Worse than Low in High school which is unbelievable. Bring us Street, Lillywhite or Visconti. I understand now why it took ages to get a record deal. Good luck Capitol (unless you signed only 1 LP) .If not ,Please delay the release and give the tapes to someone who can produce.
I was thinking about how much I would love for him to work with Stephen Street again

[Thank god the internet didn't exist when The Smiths released "Bigmouth" back in the day - I can only imagine the bile that would have been directed towards those (rather silly) chipmunk backing vocals by "Ann Coates"]
I absolutely fkn hate that song!

Its a decent little track. The similarities to Cemetery Gates does get to me a bit, sometimes things can be a bit *too* much like other things. Also not sure if I really dig the mixing of his vocals like others have said. Joe Ciccarelli had a really lovely way of presenting Moz's voice with this richness and it was at the forefront of the songs and he has never sounded better vocally, so this is a step back imo. But at the same time, maybe a little change is ok, its certainly not bad, just, different.
Yeah it's a little on the nose re cemetery gates.

I'm glad we finally got this for sure... but the scary thought is that the live versions might be the better versions of these songs. Too soon to say, but it's a thought now.
Well that certainly happened with Bullfighter Dies. Every live version is way better than the studio version which I find to be a very pedestrian B side at best.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom