Rebels Without Applause released as a single track - initially on some region's YT, now to buy & stream (November 24, 2022)

UPDATE (Nov. 25):

This Charming Bowie posted the story from official_morrissey_central / Instagram:

Morrissey's Rebels Without Applause is available today worldwide (including Britain) on Spotify,
courtesy of Capitol Records. The track is produced by Andrew Watt. This is Morrissey's first 'single' release since 'It's Over', taken from the 'California Son' album in November 2019. 'It's Over' peaked at number 1 in the UK vinyl chart.

Also now on Morrissey Central. Link posted by Famous when dead.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
No, the basic "Cemetey Gates" borrowings are still obvious and that alone creates a homey feeling for most here. Give Morrissey the sound of Johnny Marr's guitar and everyone's happy, even the douchebags who keep bashing him here. Morrissey's vocals don't reach the timeless greatness they did under Steve Lillywhite's care, who used a lot more vintage effects. Stupidly, this sounded better than pure Morrissey "live in the studio". But better than nothing, sure. Sounds like a demo.

So glad something has been released even though it's not at all what was expected. It's all a bit of a shambles. Crazy how much is just being randomly landed on us when usually these things are meticulously planned out for good reason.

And it does him NO JUSTICE. I don't know what the hell they've done to his vox but the first time I listened about 25 minutes ago I was visibly flinching. He doesn't need any of the bs they appear to be using as production tools. His voice speaks for itself. I don't know whether to laugh or cry right now, lol.

Last edited:
It sounds like when he says “from dark to light” the whole thing seemingly goes out of tune- some sudden flash of dissonance and ugliness. Or I may be hearing things. The wobbly auto-tune does not help either

It's particularly bad at the part where he sings "generation x and x-ray spex."
The best part of the live version is also the worst part of the studio version. Really awfull. Too bad

I really hope these vocal effects don’t plague the rest of the album. With this and the snippet of Veronica, I can’t help but wonder how the ballads like Saint and Oblivion will sound

Oh, I’ve been dying to hear a studio version, this makes me so happy. I know the album is on track to release, I can sleep easier (but not too easy!)

I hear what you all hear with his voice. Something is a little off, different. I’ve been playing the song on loop and it’s grown on me though. Did he ever sound like this on Dog?

My very first impression of the song is that it sounds underwater and the vocals too warbly. But I’ve also listened to the live version of this song approximately 500,000 times. Is the producer adding too many effects to Moz’s voice? Or not enough? Can’t tell what it is…

After the advance praise, I expected something magical from Watt. Thin autotune vocals and Johnny Marr riffs in a lightweight production are a crude combination. Welcome to America, plastic Morrissey!

I was thrilled beyond belief to see something released, and after obsessively listening to it on loop I’m having a sort of post-nut moment of clarity. This thing is a mess

It’s like night and day really. It went from a warm, passionate ode to a late 90’s Cher b-side. I really cannot ignore the vocal effects

But I’ve also listened to the live version of this song approximately 500,000 times.
LOL - I’ve too. I’ve had the thing on repeat since he premiered it in Vegas. In a live setting, the song has actual grace and charm, which really goes to show how production can make or break something I think

It’s like night and day really. It went from a warm, passionate ode to a late 90’s Cher b-side. I really cannot ignore the vocal effects
LOL right on.
And there are warbly effects on there for sure. I can hear his real voice in there under a layer of something 🙄 he doesn’t need it!

I’ve been saying they should make a live album out of one of the shows on this tour… all-star band and Morrissey sounds so good vocally.

I’ve been saying they should make a live album out of one of the shows on this tour… all-star band and Morrissey sounds so good vocally.
I concur. Though I’ve only been a fan for a mere two years, it seems like his current touring band is the best he’s had in a while. I think bringing back Alain and recruiting younger musicians has really spiced up the sets and brought much more energy

Back
Top Bottom