Morrissey Central "Rebels Without Applause" (November 25, 2022)

FRIDAY, 25 NOVEMBER, 2022 :
First 'single' release in exactly three years.

Morrissey's Rebels Without Applause is available today worldwide (including Britain) on Spotify, courtesy of Capitol Records. The track is produced by Andrew Watt.
This is Morrissey's first 'single' release since 'It's Over', taken from the 'California Son' album in November 2019. 'It's Over' peaked at number 1 in the UK vinyl chart.

Morrissey's next live appearance is on Monday, 28 November at The Anthem in Washington DC.

Just to help Central:
It's Over was released as an instant grat & pre-order bonus - February 25/26, 2019 (followed by Morning Starship - both getting airplay).
It's Over was then nightmarishly released as a physical 7" - (initially December 20, 2019) January 24, 2020.
The first actual "single" from California Son was Wedding Bell Blues 7" - May 10, 2019.
Regards,
FWD.

Media item:
Related items:

Not exactly, no. Barrett's oesophagus increases the risk of cancer and can cause pre-cancerous changes in cells - but not everyone who has it will go on to develop cancer. What he said was translated as "I've had four cancer-scrapings" (which could refer to the ablation of cancerous squamous cells or just to preventative measures, it wasn't clear). When Larry King asked him about cancer directly, he said very awkwardly, "Barrett’s, it’s in the oesophagus. They scrape it occasionally and I have medication, but I’m OK." So he has rather danced around the topic but the media ran with it. Moz also has GERD which can lead to Barrett's.
My take. It's almost as though he wanted the cancer rumor out there. He certainly didn't say anything to clear up that he didn't actually have cancer. Saying things like "If I die, I die" would imply that the situation was more critical than it was. Where does it stand now? Nothing has been said about it for years.

Not exactly, no. Barrett's oesophagus increases the risk of cancer and can cause pre-cancerous changes in cells - but not everyone who has it will go on to develop cancer. What he said was translated as "I've had four cancer-scrapings" (which could refer to the ablation of cancerous squamous cells or just to preventative measures, it wasn't clear). When Larry King asked him about cancer directly, he said very awkwardly, "Barrett’s, it’s in the oesophagus. They scrape it occasionally and I have medication, but I’m OK." So he has rather danced around the topic but the media ran with it. Moz also has GERD which can lead to Barrett's.

That's my take too, I have had Barrett's since 2012 and every 2 yers I have a camera down my throat to check it's ok and at the same time they take biopsies, I also have to take Omerprazole every day. At my last check up (In 2021) they couldn't find evidence of Barretts and the biopsies were clear as well so they want to take more samples next month to check again.

Yeah but I remember reading an interview back then with the specific quote I mentioned.

Yeah but I remember reading an interview back then with the specific quote I mentioned.
Fair enough. I can't recall him saying that he actually had cancer. In any case, he has continued to record albums, tour and sing etc and hasn't mentioned it or any treatments for a long time.

Fair enough. I can't recall him saying anywhere that he actually had cancer.
I remember the news reports were about Barret's, but then I read that quote and was like "wait what?, so it's cancer?". I had even forgotten about it since it seemed not to be talked about more and he's alive and seems to be well.
I don't believe he would have been making that up.

I remember the news reports were about Barret's, but then I read that quote and was like "wait what?, so it's cancer?". I had even forgotten about it since it seemed not to be talked about more and he's alive and seems to be well.
Started with El Mundo, then translated here and cited by the media (referencing here too).
See:
Regards,
FWD.

The five-year survival rates for esophageal cancer are dismal, yet he's released several albums and toured multiple times since... it just doesn't add up. Even saying something like, "They've scraped cancerous tissues four times but who cares?" - that's so absurdly glib, it's not the way most people would respond to a serious illness. I think saying "who cares" and "if I die, I die" was just a way of trying to dismiss any further questions. He exaggerates and makes ridiculous statements all the time.

Last edited:
The five-year survival rates for esophageal cancer are dismal, yet he's released several albums and toured multiple times since... it just doesn't add up. Even saying something like, "They've scraped cancerous tissues four times but who cares?" - that's so absurdly glib, it's not the way most people would respond to a serious illness. I think saying "who cares" and "if I die, I die" was just a way of trying to dismiss any further questions. He exaggerates and makes ridiculous statements all the time.
Seems to depend on what stage it's caught:

"Healthcare providers often successfully treat early-stage esophageal cancer. About 46% of people treated for early-stage esophageal cancer are alive five years after diagnosis"

"Almost 55 out of 100 people (almost 55%) with stage 1 oesophageal cancer will survive their cancer for 5 years or more after they're diagnosed"

Seems to depend on what stage it's caught:

"Healthcare providers often successfully treat early-stage esophageal cancer. About 46% of people treated for early-stage esophageal cancer are alive five years after diagnosis"

"Almost 55 out of 100 people (almost 55%) with stage 1 oesophageal cancer will survive their cancer for 5 years or more after they're diagnosed"

Yeah, those aren't good odds.
Believe what you want to believe, I guess.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom