Morrissey Central "Rebels Without Applause" (November 25, 2022)

FRIDAY, 25 NOVEMBER, 2022 :
First 'single' release in exactly three years.

Morrissey's Rebels Without Applause is available today worldwide (including Britain) on Spotify, courtesy of Capitol Records. The track is produced by Andrew Watt.
This is Morrissey's first 'single' release since 'It's Over', taken from the 'California Son' album in November 2019. 'It's Over' peaked at number 1 in the UK vinyl chart.

Morrissey's next live appearance is on Monday, 28 November at The Anthem in Washington DC.

Just to help Central:
It's Over was released as an instant grat & pre-order bonus - February 25/26, 2019 (followed by Morning Starship - both getting airplay).
It's Over was then nightmarishly released as a physical 7" - (initially December 20, 2019) January 24, 2020.
The first actual "single" from California Son was Wedding Bell Blues 7" - May 10, 2019.
Regards,
FWD.

Media item:
Related items:

Love it, great song especially the vocals. They were thinking lets get some momentum for this soon to be released amazing album.
Is it soon to be released? I'm not sure after his most recent comment regarding the age of the audience when it's released. Fingers Crossed.

I love this song,
It has some strange affectations but morrissey has been doing this for almost 40 years now, don’t bother questioning it.
This song , without being able to say exactly why , is the reason I love morrissey so much.
This makes me very happy.
Looking forward very much to the album.

Almost 200,000 listens to this song on Spotify after a couple of days.
Pretty good.

that’s all? Guess it must be the so-called ‘auto tuned’ vocal that won over a lot of new fans. Good job all around.

Almost 200,000 listens to this song on Spotify after a couple of days.
Pretty good.
Interesting - I don't really know what counts as good on Spotify but nice to see that this does. Lots of positive comments on YouTube.
Hasn't made it to any BBC playlists as far as I know e.g., the new Radio 2 one. www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/2qNJsnjYFvbLrK9CZ0CfYfM/radio-2-new-music-playlist
Even if they were to add it, it would often be 2 to 3 weeks after the song's release.

Bawdy boys of song
And girls all gone wrong
I loved Limahl
Bawdy boys of song
And girls who all went wrong
I loved Limahl
Generation X and X-Ray Spex
We loved Limahl
I see them still
I see them still
I see them still
I loved Limahl
I loved Limahl
I loved Limahl

f145a39a2077e1435edfd4e38f0543d2--longer-hair.jpg

Thank you for responding, some of these trolls are never satisfied with anything Morrissey does, records, releases etc. IANADOAC sounds amazing. Appreciate your insight.
Why are people trolls if they don't like things Morrissey does? I don't think it's true that people here don't like anything Morrissey does, some just prefer earlier Morrissey, when he had a personality and could write a good song. Some people are Smiths fans. I am not really sure why people expect Morrissey to be constantly praised. I don't like this new stuff. He has a huge back catalog, there's plenty to like and dislike.

All Morrissey albums from You are the Quarry to Dog are plenty of very good music and songs, even great. I am not nostalgic, I like the new stuff as much as the old, even more sometimes, when I think of some poor efforts of the past.
I criticize his music when I think he deserves it, new and old, Smiths and Solo, free of prejudice.

Last edited:
All Morrissey albums from You are the Quarry to Dog are plenty of very good music and songs, even great. I am not nostalgic, I like the new stuff as much as the old, even more sometimes, when I think of some poor efforts of the past.
I criticize his music when I think he deserves it, new and old, Smiths and Solo, free of prejudice.

From Quarry to Dog it’s been hit or miss.

For me, Quarry, Ringleader, and Dog are the ones that work as albums. Though, there’s been great songs through out this period.

So far, with what we’ve heard live, and RWA as an interesting teaser, it seems BoT will also work as an album.

I think Ringleader is one of the best things Morrissey has ever done in his entire career. I also put Years of Refusal a little bit under it. I absolutely love those albums. Ringleader is very special to me.

Quarry I think is very inconsistent and I skip like half of it (and prefer many of the b-sides.) World Peace and Low in High School are both very inconsistent for me as well (with Low being...very low on my list) but the bonus disc for World Peace is another thing that I think is the best thing Morrissey's done. I do respect the ambition of those albums though, they are very big artistic statements. Dog has a lot that works really well for me but I dislike the production of it.

From Quarry to Dog it’s been hit or miss.

For me, Quarry, Ringleader, and Dog are the ones that work as albums. Though, there’s been great songs through out this period.

So far, with what we’ve heard live, and RWA as an interesting teaser, it seems BoT will also work as an album.
We all have our taste and preference, that is normal. My point is that his work since Quarry may be hit and miss but it is nevertheless very consistent, as a whole. The same, hit and miss, could be said of the first part of his career, in my opinion. Kill Uncle had potentially some good stuff marred by flat production, and also very weak stuff too. In Maladjusted you may like songs like Ammunition, Ambitious outsiders or Roy's keen, but they are not exactly the best he's done. Same for stuff contained in World of Morrissey or Burglary Years or even in Your Arsenal: You're the one for me fatty is just repetitive and unbearable for me... I could continue: I like Southpaw Grammar, but for me it needed more lyrics. That's to say that I don't see much difference between then and now, speaking of consistency or overall quality. I can add that production, his voice and his band are better today. Unpopular opinion: the first half of Low in high school is stellar for me, so again: taste, hit and miss... I think Morrissey is doing very well.

Last edited:
World Peace(w/bonus disc)and Low In High School are my two favorite solo albums by Morrissey in the past twenty years.
World Peace is a very good and solid album. Low from the beginning to In your lap is certainly among the very best of Morrissey. Then it weakens for me. The israelian subject matter and the repetitive lyrics bore me.

M is paying loving tribute to the rebels he loved as a child: DJ, DB and Poly Styrene. It's very sweet.

No need to dissect this song up and compare it to this or that. Each song stands on it's own and this one is no exception.

We all have our taste and preference, that is normal. My point is that his work since Quarry may be hit and miss but it is nevertheless very consistent, as a whole.
No, I agree Quarry works as a whole. In regards to hit and miss, I was thinking about
albums like YOR and later ones. Though, there’s great songs on those as well, I’m just talking about albums as a whole.
The same, hit and miss, could be said of the first part of his career, in my opinion. Kill Uncle had potentially some good stuff marred by flat production,
Feel the same about Quarry, don’t really care for it’s production.
and also very weak stuff too. In Maladjusted you may like songs like Ammunition, Ambitious outsiders or Roy's keen, but they are not exactly the best he's done. Same for stuff contained in World of Morrissey or Burglary Years or even in Your Arsenal: You're the one for me fatty is just repetitive and unbearable for me... I could continue: I like Southpaw Grammar, but for me it needed more lyrics. That's to say that I don't see much difference between then and now, speaking of consistency or overall quality. I can add that production, his voice and his band are better today. Unpopular opinion: the first half of Low in high school is stellar for me, so again: taste, hit and miss...

Yep, taste and mood, and where one is at in their life shapes their musical/album preferences also, for most I believe.

World Peace is a very good and solid album. Low from the beginning to In your lap is certainly among the very best of Morrissey. Then it weakens for me. The israelian subject matter and the repetitive lyrics bore me.
My Love I’d Do Anything For You, Home Is A Question Mark and I Bury The Living are phenomenal songs.

I Bury The Living is an incredible work of political art...but it's one I never want to listen to.

I generally have no interest in Morrissey's political songs or his take on world affairs, though sometimes they can make for a good song. Not because I disagree or anything. I just don't like political music. My favorite Morrissey is funny, sad, relatable stuff about relationships or being lonely or existential suburban malaise or lost friendships or satirical things about how shitty humanity can be. My general response to political stuff is like "well...not sure I know enough about this issue to have an opinion...not sure the singer does either..."

I know we all have tastes so I don't mean this in a challenging or confrontational way, but I find it so interesting that Quarry is being called "consistent" and YOR not consistent. I feel the polar opposite. YOR is just an awesome rock album with tons of catchy, fun songs. The only one that flops for me is You Were Good In Your Time. I feel the same about Ringleader, just love everything on there, though I'm not always in the mood for Dear God Please etc. But I really like it.

I Bury The Living is an incredible work of political art...but it's one I never want to listen to.

I generally have no interest in Morrissey's political songs or his take on world affairs, though sometimes they can make for a good song. Not because I disagree or anything. I just don't like political music. My favorite Morrissey is funny, sad, relatable stuff about relationships or being lonely or existential suburban malaise or lost friendships or satirical things about how shitty humanity can be. My general response to political stuff is like "well...not sure I know enough about this issue to have an opinion...not sure the singer does either..."

I know we all have tastes so I don't mean this in a challenging or confrontational way, but I find it so interesting that Quarry is being called "consistent" and YOR not consistent. I feel the polar opposite. YOR is just an awesome rock album with tons of catchy, fun songs. The only one that flops for me is You Were Good In Your Time. I feel the same about Ringleader, just love everything on there, though I'm not always in the mood for Dear God Please etc. But I really like it.
21st century Morrissey is underrated. I agree on many points.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom