Morrissey Central "Rebels Without Applause" (November 25, 2022)

FRIDAY, 25 NOVEMBER, 2022 :
First 'single' release in exactly three years.

Morrissey's Rebels Without Applause is available today worldwide (including Britain) on Spotify, courtesy of Capitol Records. The track is produced by Andrew Watt.
This is Morrissey's first 'single' release since 'It's Over', taken from the 'California Son' album in November 2019. 'It's Over' peaked at number 1 in the UK vinyl chart.

Morrissey's next live appearance is on Monday, 28 November at The Anthem in Washington DC.

Just to help Central:
It's Over was released as an instant grat & pre-order bonus - February 25/26, 2019 (followed by Morning Starship - both getting airplay).
It's Over was then nightmarishly released as a physical 7" - (initially December 20, 2019) January 24, 2020.
The first actual "single" from California Son was Wedding Bell Blues 7" - May 10, 2019.
Regards,
FWD.

Media item:
Related items:

I'm not convinced the rest of the album will sound like this.....so whatever side of the fence you're on...wait and see!

I'm going to try and keep the faith. You're right Veronica does sound normal. I hope they opt for that sound on the rest of the tracks. I think I can cope with RWA sounding pretty awful if the rest sounds fairly normal.

Last edited:
I love this song; it's exactly what songs in recent years haven't been..it's jaunty and jangly. On first listen not sure I like the vocal processing; you've got one of the most individualistic singers in music and you hide it with layers of autotune, it sounds like. I prefer the more natural sound of the live version.
Odd this one. Been listening through my phone all day was not convinced. Played through a decent room sound system this eve and it sounds 🔥. Will now try on my grandads mega phone to cover all angles.

I'm going to try and keep the faith. You're right Veronica does sound normal. I hope they opt for that sound on the rest of the tracks. I think I can cope with RWA sounding like a chipmunk if the rest sounds fairly normal.
If the rest of the album is okay, this can just go down in history as an "oddity".

Allow me to add to FWD's self-praise, and appreciate the efficient and skilled way information is handled on M-Solo. It does not go unnoticed, and we thank you.

Just shooting the breeze here, but wondering if MCentral or equivalent ever requested MSolo to make any of the announcements? And just imagining for a second, what would be the reaction in such a scenario? These days they seem so close that if you reached out your arm in that direction, a hand might stretch across to meet yours and firmly shake it 🤝🫂
I think you need to be aware that Moz himself is not keen on Solo, and that's putting it mildly.
Have a dig around this site & I'm sure you'll find mention of it.

If the rest of the album is okay, this can just go down in history as an "oddity".

That's true. I'm listening to it now. Maybe it's different on different people's set up. I have a headphone fetish (😆) so I have tried on various pairs on my set up and you can hear the shakiness in his vocals quite a few times and it seems to there are times it's out of tune and out of time as well. The more expensive the headphones the worse it sounds as they pick up every detail. I bought them for that reason but I never thought I would be wishing they didn't expose how bad this is.

You lot love to whine about everything Morrissey does. It's a different production style so what? It's still a great f***ing tune! Fun, catchy, excellent bass line, lovely vocal melody and some Morrissey falsetto to top it off. Love it. The only thing missing is a physical release, though I suppose this will do for now.
No one on this thread is critizing Morrissey, the song, the lyrics, the melody or the music. So don’t try to make it out that way. Alain Watts and Andrew Munro (I don’t remember their names) are not Morrissey, so please don’t spread this misinformation. The moderators should have a word with you, I think.

I think you need to be aware that Moz himself is not keen on Solo, and that's putting it mildly.
Have a dig around this site & I'm sure you'll find mention of it.
That has been true in the past, Mozmar, but sometimes things can change : )

That has been true in the past, Mozmar, but sometimes things can change : )
If you think that, then you have no clue regarding Moz & how stubborn he can be.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like the whole album to be fresh sounding, yes! (y)
If you listen to Feels - Calvin Harris (feat. Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry & Big Sean), it is very fresh sounding! That track is very well produced. Morrissey should "let them come to him", instead of "go to them" as he has done in this case.

That's true. I'm listening to it now. Maybe it's different on different people's set up. I have a headphone fetish (😆) so I have tried on various pairs on my set up and you can hear the shakiness in his vocals quite a few times and it seems to there are times it's out of tune and out of time as well. The more expensive the headphones the worse it sounds as they pick up every detail. I bought them for that reason but I never thought I would be wishing they didn't expose how bad this is.
I've listened to RWA on two different pairs of headphones (one expensive and one mid-price) and I'll now try to steal a cheap pair from one of the kids! :) I've also listened on a good stereo (my 10-year old daughter seemed to like it)... It sounded fantastic on all of them! :)

If you listen to Feels - Calvin Harris (feat. Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry & Big Sean), it is very fresh sounding! That track is very well produced. Morrissey should "let them come to him", instead of "go to them" as he has done in this case.

he’s always gone to them. I mean, I never read anything about a producer asking to produce him. Eno refused, Visconti did at first, until years later when a free trip to Rome was thrown into the deal.

Having said all that.. Do we know if Watt approached M or not ?

I've listened to RWA on two different pairs of headphones (one expensive and one mid-price) and I'll now try to steal a cheap pair from one of the kids! :) I've also listened on a good stereo (my 10-year old daughter seemed to like it)... It sounded fantastic on all of them! :)
The ear clinic will see you on monday.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom