Morrissey Central "Rebels Without Applause" (November 25, 2022)

FRIDAY, 25 NOVEMBER, 2022 :
First 'single' release in exactly three years.

Morrissey's Rebels Without Applause is available today worldwide (including Britain) on Spotify, courtesy of Capitol Records. The track is produced by Andrew Watt.
This is Morrissey's first 'single' release since 'It's Over', taken from the 'California Son' album in November 2019. 'It's Over' peaked at number 1 in the UK vinyl chart.

Morrissey's next live appearance is on Monday, 28 November at The Anthem in Washington DC.

Just to help Central:
It's Over was released as an instant grat & pre-order bonus - February 25/26, 2019 (followed by Morning Starship - both getting airplay).
It's Over was then nightmarishly released as a physical 7" - (initially December 20, 2019) January 24, 2020.
The first actual "single" from California Son was Wedding Bell Blues 7" - May 10, 2019.
Regards,
FWD.

Media item:
Related items:

EVERYONE argued with me a while back when I said his vocals on Dog on a Chain (the album) were autotuned to hell. Has everybody come to their senses now? It's night and day listening to his autotuned voice compared to his older albums. I am still stunned it was such a long debate and no one heard what I was hearing.

Shady_J75 says approvingly elsewhere:
The overall musical production is very reminiscent of John Peel’s work back in the day.

Absurd. I work in audio also, and this thing is drowned in autotune, or some sort of bizarre, off-putting effect making him sound like a robot.
There is obvious pitch manipulation in the middle part(where it's supposed to sound obvious)... It sounds fantastic, I think... Apart from that specific part of the song, there is no autotune on it...

Don't feel unhunky ! ... I will say the more I listen to this song , the more I love the effects on the vocals and the production in general. I want Morrissey to sound as though he belongs in the 21st century with the rest of us :)
Dance off in the park! 5:30pm your time! May the Swayze moves be with you! LOL

There is obvious pitch manipulation in the middle part(where it's supposed to sound obvious)... It sounds fantastic, I think... Apart from that specific part of the song, there is no autotune on it...

It sounds horrible. Perhaps a separate issue, but his whole voice throughout the song is sitting in the mix very oddly, and I think ruining what could have been a very lovely little song.

It sounds horrible. Perhaps a separate issue, but his whole voice throughout the song is sitting in the mix very oddly, and I think ruining what could have been a very lovely little song.
Oh, well... let's agree to disagree... A lot of people seem to like it... I personally think it's M's strongest single since the Quarry days...

Oh, well... let's agree to disagree... A lot of people seem to like it... I personally think it's M's strongest single since the Quarry days...
You think its "stronger " than Something Is Squeezing My Soul, River Clean. Life is a Pigstye?
Art Hounds? I Thought You Were Dead. Jim Jim falls?
What odd taste you have. In someways, Quarry wasn't that much of a Morrissey record. Ir was Morrissey Mainstream, as you like Autotune and that best, could it be you just have very shit taste?
Or maybe its what Ludwig would think of as a language issue. By "Strong" do you actually mean "piss poor" ?

It's a v pleasant melodic jangle. Really surprised that Boz wrote it. I think it would have been a pretty big radio hit when Radio 2 and the indie stations were still playing his new stuff (pre 2019).

The, uh, tone of the posts around here are very strange to me. It's just pop music discussion, people.

Quarry had some great singles but I don't think it's a great album...I actually think it's one of his worst. But Ringleader and Refusal are two of my all-time favorite Morrissey albums, but I don't think they have very strong singles to be found on them (meaning a super accessible catchy song that everyone will like very quickly.)

I think a lot of b-sides and songs that never even ended up recorded would have been great singles. Think People Are the Same Everywhere, etc, etc. Lots of fun, catchy songs he just tosses out! Always boggles my mind. And that bonus disc that has Julie in the Weeds, etc, is like my favorite thing Morrissey has done in a long time. Wonderful songs on that, and barely anyone has heard it!

The, uh, tone of the posts around here are very strange to me. It's just pop music discussion, people.

Quarry had some great singles but I don't think it's a great album...I actually think it's one of his worst. But Ringleader and Refusal are two of my all-time favorite Morrissey albums, but I don't think they have very strong singles to be found on them (meaning a super accessible catchy song that everyone will like very quickly.)

I think a lot of b-sides and songs that never even ended up recorded would have been great singles. Think People Are the Same Everywhere, etc, etc. Lots of fun, catchy songs he just tosses out! Always boggles my mind. And that bonus disc that has Julie in the Weeds, etc, is like my favorite thing Morrissey has done in a long time. Wonderful songs on that, and barely anyone has heard it!
Julie in weeds is beautiful

Noise Is The Best Revenge and I Thought You Were Dead are better than most of his LP tracks.
Noise would have sat nicely on Low in high school

Noise Is The Best Revenge and I Thought You Were Dead are better than most of his LP tracks.
Noise would have sat nicely on Low in high school

I also like those songs a lot, and I'm very fond of Action Is My Middle Name too. Funny lyrics and very catchy and rocking. Back when my iPod was working, my Morrissey rarities compilation that I made got tons more play than the albums.

I'm for! :clap:

Spin's fine with it - https://www.spin.com/2022/11/morrissey-new-single/ - as is this yahoo review.

One of you might decipher what these reviews says about the release - https://www.dodmagazine.es/morrissey-comparte-un-nuevo-single-titulado-rebels-without-applause/
Not familiar with this French website, but it is positive about the track. They even made an effort to translate « Bonfire of teenagers » into French, then mentioned the bonfire unlit saga.

Fuller record company backing would get the word out more. Hearing it on the radio's next 🎶

Absurd. I work in audio also, and this thing is drowned in autotune, or some sort of bizarre, off-putting effect making him sound like a robot.

I am with you on that. There has been liberal use of autotuned and it does him no favours. I can't quite believe how people are enjoying it.

I enjoy a lot of Dog on a Chain, but IN SPITE of the autotune I hear throughout that album. I try to ignore it but it's very hard for me. I just still can't believe he'd ever let a producer do that to his voice. The one thing I've always felt about Morrissey is that no matter what, his legendary two-take wonder vocal performance is the most pure, authentic part of him, and what you're hearing is, for lack of a better term, his soul, right there on the record. I really find autotune a travesty when it comes to an artist like Morrissey.

Dance off in the park! 5:30pm your time! May the Swayze moves be with you! LOL

"You damn soc are all the same ( snarls through curled lips ; glares menacingly with narrowed eyes ; spits defiantly on the ground ) ... dance off ! DANCE off ! DANCE OFF ! "

Now I'm going to stop talking before I get us moved to the Off-Topic Thread !

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom