Rate Your Moz/Smiths Song Part 6: ALMA MATTERS

How do you rate Alma Matters?

• Total voters

Houdini

The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 6: ALMA MATTERS

While we wait for the new album to arrive, let us go about rating the songs we know, on a daily basis, and compile our own Morrissey/Smiths Top 100. And instead of chronologically, let's do them alphabetically.
Song for Today: Alma Matters.

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Classic
9: Near classic, f***ing brilliant anyway
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: Decent, OK, Nothing special
5: Moz/Smiths by numbers
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He/They should be ashamed

The top-5 so far (voting will remain open):
1) A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours, average rating so far: 8,91
2) A Swallow On My Neck, average rating: 8,03
3) A Song From Under The Floorboards, average rating: 7,38
4) Accept Yourself, average rating: 7,33
5) All The Lazy Dykes. average rating: 6,37

Last edited:
Classic, great great single in my opinion.

As far as pop songs go, they don't come much better than this.

It'll be too light + fluffy for some, no doubt, but it should score well overall, I think.

Worthy of a 9 in my book.

Excellent track, not one of his strongest lyrically but the simplicity is (for once) what makes it attractive.

Decent as an album track but certainly fits it's place as a pop single and promoter.

It's a classic Morrissey/Whyte single.
Came as a huge relief to the fans after the horrendous Southpaw Grammar 'experiment' and a huge relief to Moz to be back in the top 20 after a few years of lesser hits.
The song is ridiculously catchy and features some brilliantly stroppy lyrics.
Musically, it's pretty flipping good too! Love the descending guitar line that links the different parts of the verse. Also love the fact that we get not one but two middle eights! Pop genius. Well done Alain!

I gave it a 7. Although It's a good track it's not one of my all time favourites. Something about the flow just doesn't strike me right. It's still worthy of a 7.

5... One of the songs that I enjoy listening to, but cannot follow the lyrics - technically, not the meaning. Would be 7 if it was for the video, though. It helps to concentrate somehow...

if everyone loves this song so much (as indeed they should) why's it done so poorly in Houdini's poll? it's in the bottom half and got a meagre 7.6/10.
I voted 9 so don't blame me!

That's cause all the Alma-lovers are in that thread.
To remind tou, you may find some of the naysayers in this thread.
But a 7.7 out of 10 is not so bad.

easily one of his best singles in the sense that it is in fact a perfect pop single. ive always held this song ina special place as spoke to me well during a time when it seemed imight be throwing my life away. great track.

Another fantastic song... How does he do it??? BTW I think Maladjusted is TOTALLY underrated. Roy's Keen, Alma Matters, Ambitious Outsiders, some really good material.

I remember around this time Morrissey talked in an interview about how in his new songs he was concentrating more on the vocal melodies and less on the lyrics. The first time I heard this song, I could see what he means. I love the melody and some of the lyrics, but I'm still not sure what the chorus is about. And the "Oh Yeah, Oh Yeah, Oh Yeah" refrain brought back memories of an old quote from 1983 where young Morrissey said that we'd never hear him sing typical lyrics. Oh well. The song goes on too long too. But I still like that melody and the "it's my life to ruin my own way" sentiments. I give it a 7.

Back
Top Bottom