Rate Your Moz/Smiths Song Part 4: Accept Yourself

Rate Accept Yourself

• Total voters

Houdini

The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 4: Accept Yourself

While we wait for the new album to arrive, let us go about rating the songs we know, on a daily basis. And instead of chronologically, let's do them alphabetically.
Song for Today: Accept Yourself.

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Classic
9: Near classic, f***ing brilliant anyway
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: Decent, OK, Nothing special
5: Moz/Smiths by numbers
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He/They should be ashamed

The top-3 so far:
1) A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours, average rating : 8,88
2) A Swallow On My Neck, average rating: 7,92
3) A Song From Under The Floorboards, average rating: 7,33

Last edited:
Ironic that this should come after Floorboards.
According to this months Q the line 'I am sick, I am dull and I am plain'
was inspired by Magazine's 'I am angry, I am ill and I am ugly as sin'.

I've always loved "Accept Yourself", it cheeses me off a bit that it's so underrated. One of The Smiths books dismissed it as a "minor" song -- not to me, it wasn't! Morrissey's lyrics and vocal performance (Hatful of Hollow version) are lovely, forlorn and playful - all at the same time. "Others conquered love, but I ran/ I sat in my room and I drew up a plan." Breaks my heart, it's so true. I love Johnny's guitar work on this as well.

An eight from me, i like the msuical composition and there is some great lyrics:

"Every day you must say
Oh, how do I feel about the past ?
Others conquered love - but I ran
I sat in my room and I drew up a plan
Oh, but plans can fall through (as so often they do)
And time is against me now..."

These polls are weird
+
I want to alternatives.. Like 10/7 lyrics v melody:o

Yep, that's why I don't vote any of this. :p

can't you just vote for how much you like/dislike a song?
I mean what bikie is suggesting would seem like a hella difficult poll... :p
maybe its just me :D

Yeah lets have seperate polls on the lyrics, the melody, the bassline, the production, the singing and a final one guessing what colour socks Morrissey was wearing during the recording

Can it be organised? and if not, why not?

Seriously though great song, especially lyric wise

I voted a 7???? :eek: I can't believe I did that! I don't even remember voting for this song, and let alone voting a 7! It must have been my evil twin, surely!
What was wrong with me??? I love this song!
Correction on my voting! 10 not a 7!!! :D

tempted to go as low as 6 becos it's never really triggered much in me, but it has a certain historical importance to The Smiths' rise that lends it some added weight. it's a good song, but it's certainly no where near being among the best.

One of my favorites. I like Morrisseys delivery, and at the end when he spits and "and you will not open your eyes" in that stacatto way I always get happy.

I think the lyrics are brilliant, but the music bugs the hell out of me. It's kind of ironic, because many of Johnny's early compositions are criticized by me for being bland and uninspiring (the opening of "Miserable Lie," "The Hand That Rocks The Cradle," "I Don't Owe You Anything," "Hand In Glove," etc.) but this song is musically inventive, and I hate it even more. Ah well, Johnny won me over with "Still Ill" and "This Charming Man". I'm sure he was relieved. ;)

Oh, I give it a 7.

Back
Top Bottom