Rate Your Moz/Smiths Song Part 1: A Rush

Rate A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours

• Total voters

Houdini

While we wait for the new album to arrive (hopefully next year) let us go about rating the songs we know, on a daily basis. And instead of chronologically, let's do them alphabetically.

Voting should be something like:
10: Classic
9: Near classic, f***ing brilliant anyway
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: Decent, OK, Nothing special
5: Moz/Smiths by numbers
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He/They should be ashamed

"Ehhrrr rush and a push..."
10.png

Nice Idea Houdini but at one a day we may be here for a while.

Last edited:
Classic!!

I've always really liked it, and the album's always been my favourite.

i swear i was thinking yesterday if we did a poll for every song and rated them, we could get a clear winner of best song without doing eliminations because each song should just have a rating.

I was completely obsessed with this song while I saved up to buy 'Meat Is Murder'!! :D

8/10. Great opening track to SHWC.​

utterly classic, brilliant performance, totally unique. denied a 10 only becos im going to be quite stingy with those.

Amazing song; love Mozzys grunting delivery and great live. The MEN version is just perfect in my world...

The first of the bunch, and the one with the most votes still (naturally, as it is at the top of the page every single day...).

Who's going to be the 200th to vote?

I just love Morrissey's vocals on Strangeways. The songs are full of all those delightful affectations that he used onstage during the Queen Is Dead tour. "A Rush..." is full of them, from the growled "AAAARRRRRRUSH!" of the choruses, to the hiccupping "So phone me, phone me, phone me" and the slurred "oooh, I think I'm in lurve" at the end. Endlessly entertaining - and the keyboard-led music by Marr is loverly too.

Plus, any song that begins with the line, "I am the ghost of Troubled Joe hung by his pretty white neck some eighteen months ago" just HAS to be brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom