Rate the new Morrissey songs out of 10 & discussion

SAM:
and on 'Saint In A Stained Glass Window' you are asking Jesus to let you die because you've had enough. Is that also how you feel?

M:
Well, since the death of my mother - which was so awful - I've been between two worlds, and unfortunately time only moves in one direction. We can't go back.

Good lord, what a drama queen and depressing af

Probably " Saint" becomes my favourite track so far ... need more hearings but...that's what I love Morrissey for .... :praying:

Does anyone else think the music for Saint… sounds a lot like Spiritualized?

I can definitely hear a kinship, yes. I'm also wondering whether the mournful bottleneck guitar on the live performance is a pedal steel guitar on the studio version. I think that sound (a tinge of the 70s California music scene) compliments his voice very nicely. What Kind of People is my favorite song on Dog On a Chain.

The lyrics are his best since Israel. Now that this song is in the mix, it tops my list of the new songs. Rating: 10.

Saint is a beautiful song, pure Morrissey, in every possible way.
The sentiment is nothing new of course, we've heard this so many times over the years, since the very early days of The Smiths in fact.
It will take something pretty special for any of the remaining unheard tracks to top this one.

Saint In A Stained Glass Window is an instant 10/10. By far the strongest of the new songs and up there with his very, very best. Somehow it reminds me a little of solo George Harrison circa All Things Must Pass.

This is the Spiritualized track I was thinking of. The slide guitar and droning keyboards are the elements that tie it to Saint..., as well as the religious imagery in the lyrics. Although, Mozzer's words are a lot more downcast than Jason's.

Update :

1. Saint in a stained glass window - 9
2. I Live In Oblivion - 8
3. Bonfire Of Teenagers - 7
4. Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings - 6
4. Rebels Without Applause -6
5. I Am Veronica -3
6. Kerouac's Crack -2

Update :

1. Saint in a stained glass window - 9
2. I Live In Oblivion - 8
3. Bonfire Of Teenagers - 7
4. Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings - 6
4. Rebels Without Applause -6
5. I Am Veronica -3
6. Kerouac's Crack -2

Looks like it’s shaping up to be a nice album as a whole with its light and dark.

Hello hell

1. I Live In Oblivion 10/10
2. Bonfire Of Teenagers 10/10
3. Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings 9/10
4. Saint in a Stained Glass Window 8/10
5. I Am Veronica 5/10
6. Rebels Without Applause 3/10
7. Kerouac's Crack 2/10

I know nothing comes next

Hello hell

1. I Live In Oblivion 10/10
2. Bonfire Of Teenagers 10/10
3. Sure Enough, The Telephone Rings 9/10
4. Saint in a Stained Glass Window 8/10
5. I Am Veronica 5/10
6. Rebels Without Applause 3/10
7. Kerouac's Crack 2/10

I know nothing comes next
I truly wish that was the album title

I am Veronica is my 2022 song. I feel this album will be a favourite of mine. I didn't have the same sensation before the last albums came out, though I like them all.

I truly wish that was the album title
just wanted to say on the listen I had, Saint was one of the better ones, but only for singing and music. Lyrically it seems like I have heard M sing this song 50,000 times.
I'm not sure the band is doing the song justice live. If everyone loves this live version of the song, that's brilliant but for me, it's no Pigstye or River Clean.
Hand on heart, would you sign M for over a million based on the songs we have now heard, do we think it's gonna get a new audience?

Last edited:
Saint In A Stained Glass Window is an instant 10/10. By far the strongest of the new songs and up there with his very, very best. Somehow it reminds me a little of solo George Harrison circa All Things Must Pass.
I think its the second-best on the lp .
Oblivion and then this but I can't see why everyone is saying it's an "instant classic" , based on the live version, the studio version is mega- be a nice Xmas song to sit with Fairytale of NY
. Maybe my love for the man has faded I don't know. The song is nice, I like it but don't you feel you have heard this before?
Don't you feel all the "life is too much" is just overdone by now? when I heard the studio version I was in love with the song.
Hearing it live, and listening to the words more, i feel its all a bit "been there done that"

I think its the second-best on the lp .
Oblivion and then this but I can't see why everyone is saying it's an "instant classic" , based on the live version, the studio version is mega- be a nice Xmas song to sit with Fairytale of NY
. Maybe my love for the man has faded I don't know. The song is nice, I like it but don't you feel you have heard this before?
Don't you feel all the "life is too much" is just overdone by now? when I heard the studio version I was in love with the song.
Hearing it live, and listening to the words more, i feel its all a bit "been there done that"
Well, it's the one song of the new material that I've really connected with - though I do like Oblivion and Rebels too. I had a similar feeling when I heard River and Hurling on the last album. Admittedly I'm a ballad man, but it's just a great, great song. Of course, the lyric covers some of his favourite terrain, but "Jesus let me die - don't torture me more"? That's even more direct and extreme than normal - but as a Leonard Cohen/Nick Cave fan, the darker the better for me. It's a fantastic vocal performance too. Glad to hear the studio version is potentially even better.

just wanted to say on the listen I had, Saint was one of the better ones, but only for singing and music. Lyrically it seems like I have heard M sing this song 50,000 times.
I'm not sure the band is doing the song justice live. If everyone loves this live version of the song, that's brilliant but for me, it's no Pigstye or River Clean.
Hand on heart, would you sign M for over a million based on the songs we have now heard, do we think it's gonna get a new audience?

What did you think of Diana Dors? Does it rock?

Back
Top Bottom