Randy Newman mentions Morrissey's political views - The Observer Food Monthly 21/1/18

Randy Newman: ‘I've written a song about Trump and Ivanka – but it needs a little work’ - The Observer
The great songwriter talks about politics, Toy Story and the Smiths – and why he’s never enjoyed the writing process

Extract: "He’s also a huge fan of the Smiths and the kitchen-sink dramas of the 1960s that inspired the band’s aesthetic – Saturday Night, Sunday Morning, The L-Shaped Room, This Sporting Life. Like most Smiths fans, he’s distressed to hear that Morrissey’s political views appear to have taken a rightward turn. “Shame. He’s one of the great lyricists.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Why should the political beliefs of an individual who is not a politician concern another?

The sooner this Munchausen’s Virtue Signalling by Proxy is consigned to history the better.

Why should the political beliefs of an individual who is not a politician concern another?

The sooner this Munchausen’s Virtue Signalling by Proxy is consigned to history the better.

Because political beliefs don’t exist in a vacuum and have real world effects on everyone some mundane and some serious

Because political beliefs don’t exist in a vacuum and have real world effects on everyone some mundane and some serious

I don’t care what Randy Newman’s political beliefs are. Why should he care about someone else’s? Morrissey’s political beliefs haven’t impinged in me all that much. I shrug, I think he’s wrong, I move on.

It has meant he has increasingly written some very poor songs, so I don’t listen to them. The times I have vehemently disagreed with him have been on issues of morality more than politics, Utoya being the best/worst example.

For the left, whose entire political creed is now seemingly built on feelings that might be difficult to comprehend.

Extract: "He’s also a huge fan of the Smiths and the kitchen-sink dramas of the 1960s that inspired the band’s aesthetic – Saturday Night, Sunday Morning, The L-Shaped Room, This Sporting Life. Like most Smiths fans, he’s distressed to hear that Morrissey’s political views appear to have taken a rightward turn. “Shame. He’s one of the great lyricists.”

Huge fan and Moz just received some of the highest praise possible! Only thing greater would be if Bob Dylan or Elvis Costello said the same thing.

I don’t care what Randy Newman’s political beliefs are. Why should he care about someone else’s? Morrissey’s political beliefs haven’t impinged in me all that much. I shrug, I think he’s wrong, I move on.

It has meant he has increasingly written some very poor songs, so I don’t listen to them. The times I have vehemently disagreed with him have been on issues of morality more than politics, Utoya being the best/worst example.

For the left, whose entire political creed is now seemingly built on feelings that might be difficult to comprehend.

He probably respected him for his previous stances or what he thought they were and is just bummed that he lost a little respect. I don’t think he’s being extreme about it or anything. I think people’s political beliefs say something about them and are tied to there personal beliefs and actions and how you judge them and now that morrissey political beliefs have changed his opinion of morrissey has changed a bit leaving him somewhat sad about it

As usual you people are missing a huge point. He wrote "I Love LA" which is obviously one of Steve's favorite songs. It never ceases to amaze me how you foreigners here have always got to put anti-American spins on everything.

I understand and find it admirable that Newman keeps up with modern music - saw an interview where he mentioned Gaga and Kanye - but I wouldn't have pegged him for a Moz fan. Interesting.

why do people say its a shame about his political beliefs,hes over 18 and can make his own decision like every other british citizen who is of voting age.

why do people say its a shame about his political beliefs,hes over 18 and can make his own decision like every other british citizen who is of voting age.

Well I’d be sad to hear someone joined the kkks political party and started following David duke even if they were 18 and ifnit was someone I respected I’d be a bit disappointed. If I can admire a person for there beliefs just like I do morrissey i can be disappointed for other beliefs. Now im not saying morrissey is a racist like others here, it’s just an example but some political beliefs do go to far. I think it’s wrong to be extremely judge mental but I think it’s also dangerous to be to permissive or indifferent as beliefs especially political beliefs have real world consequences. That said I don’t think randy was extreme or damning just disappointed in someone he respected

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jan/21/randy-newman-trump-ivanka-song-toy-story-smiths

Randy Newman: ‘I've written a song about Trump and Ivanka – but it needs a little work’

The great songwriter talks about politics, Toy Story and the Smiths – and why he’s never enjoyed the writing process.

A rightward turn? Yes, that would explain his hatred for May and Cameron, why he urged Americans to vote for Bernie Sanders, and his complements about George Galloway and J Corbyn.

A rightward turn? Yes, that would explain his hatred for May and Cameron, why he urged Americans to vote for Bernie Sanders, and his complements about George Galloway and J Corbyn.

But how does that explanation rationalise his thinking that his audience were as interested as he was in the possibly fraudulent UKIP leadership election that prevented a raging right-wing islamophobe being put into place? Because that's what he said, and he thought we'd all be as concerned about this burning issue as he was.

And by the way, you meant to say 'compliments', not 'complements'

Well I’d be sad to hear someone joined the kkks political party and started following David duke even if they were 18 and ifnit was someone I respected I’d be a bit disappointed. If I can admire a person for there beliefs just like I do morrissey i can be disappointed for other beliefs. Now im not saying morrissey is a racist like others here, it’s just an example but some political beliefs do go to far. I think it’s wrong to be extremely judge mental but I think it’s also dangerous to be to permissive or indifferent as beliefs especially political beliefs have real world consequences. That said I don’t think randy was extreme or damning just disappointed in someone he respected

English next time please.

But how does that explanation rationalise his thinking that his audience were as interested as he was in the possibly fraudulent UKIP leadership election that prevented a raging right-wing islamophobe being put into place? Because that's what he said, and he thought we'd all be as concerned about this burning issue as he was.

And by the way, you meant to say 'compliments', not 'complements'
I don't think he has a sufficiently coherent political outlook to be classed as left or right wing. I think he's fairly politically ignorant and just attaches himself to a random assortment of anti-establishment causes. At the time of The Smiths we had Thatcher, so she provided a pretty easy target for him, but this made everyone think he was left wing. When in point of fact he was, and has always been, a trolling opportunist.

I don't think he has a sufficiently coherent political outlook to be classed as left or right wing. I think he's fairly politically ignorant and just attaches himself to a random assortment of anti-establishment causes. At the time of The Smiths we had Thatcher, so she provided a pretty easy target for him, but this made everyone think he was left wing. When in point of fact he was, and has always been, a trolling opportunist.

I disagree strongly. Recall his comments on Sadiq Khan, the populace of Knightsbridge, The Chinese, inter alia. There's more than a pattern there.

A PATTERN OF MISUNDERSTANDING HIM

I disagree strongly. Recall his comments on Sadiq Khan, the populace of Knightsbridge, The Chinese, inter alia. There's more than a pattern there.
Well, yes, you've got a point. There does seem to be a pattern of those outbursts down the years. But racism is not exclusive to the right.

M IS NEITHER LEFT OR RIGHT.

HE PADDLES HIS OWN CANOE ON THE RIVERS OF HIS OWN SUCCESS ! :rock:

I live in London and Sadiq Khan is a shifty f***er. Nothing to do with his religion or his race. He is an appalling communicator (he gabbles when he speaks, Morrissey mentioned this), he speaks in a ridiculous contrived accent (dropping his t's to be down with the kids), he has flip-flopped on all manner of mayoral policies, and he's a New Labour career politician who was totally anti Corbyn until Corbyn's amazing 2017 election performance. An awful man. If you feel that just because someone is non-white and religious, they are beyond criticism, then you are an idiot.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bravo. I think it’s a case of no one daring to go against the Ministry of Thought :squiffy:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom