Random Smiths/Moz thoughts and trivia thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion archive 2012 (read-only)' started by Vicarinacoma, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Vicarinacoma

Vicarinacoma New Member

On Jeane he just sounds awful
    On what differences...he's blatantly flat and tuneless at certain parts
    Yet he nails the soaring vocal on I know it's over perfectly.
    I guess he got better but generally in the early days he wasn't a good singer. Jeane is unlistenable. Luckily it's a pretty lame song. Easily the worst Smiths song although I've not heard I keep mine hidden so...I keep mine hidden features in A Q mag article about crap songs by great bands as the most lamentable Smiths song.

2. the raytownian

the raytownian Member

1. Jeane is a great song
    2. Where's the trivia?
    3. IKMH is also great.

3. Vicarinacoma

Vicarinacoma New Member

All in good time

4. JJKelsall

JJKelsall New Member

I think Jean is one of the few early songs where he actually sounds quite good in an unrefined sort of way.

5. Amy

Amy from the Ice Age to the dole age

He did sing terribly in the early songs (although the only thing I find genuinely unlistenable is the early incarnation of "Wonderful Woman", i.e What Do You See in Him?) but touring improved his voice dramatically and I remember him commenting as much during the recording of Strangeways. "I Keep Mine Hidden" is definitely worth a listen - not groundbreaking or sonically fantastic, but significant because it was the last ever Moz/Marr original and consequently Moz has a personal soft spot for it.

6. Vicarinacoma

Vicarinacoma New Member

I didn't know that. I've bought it as a little Xmas present for myself. You didn't tel me it had whistling on! I thought iTunes had dl the wrong track or something. It seems south on first hearing. I smiths song I've not heard before after 25 yrs of bring a fan! I better not complain.