Radiohead do storming cover of Headmaster Ritual on radiohead.tv

There's a difference between liking an artist & saying ridiculous things.

For example, I do not like New Order. However, I'd never say they were "plain, bloody awful" or whatever that idiot "snapyou" has to say. I recognise their talent & accomplishments, but simply do not enjoy their music.

Fanaticism of the likes of snapyou is merely unpleasant in any form.

It's not fanaticism at all,it's just my opinion and ,to me ,they ARE awful:truly and dreadfully. Their music depresses me due to its pomposity,lack of soul and stinks of fake angst.
Awful just sums them up. For me.

Now,New Order? You don't like them?
Totally up to you .
But
just listen to Radiohead's Ceremony then New Order's.

In what way? I adore Moz's voice, but Thom's voice is vastly technically superior. Sure over the last few years, it has started to wane...but from a technical point of view his voice on their first 3-4 records is streets ahead of Moz's.

I was wrong saying we all know Moz has better voice than Thom. You don't know it. Just kidding.. :D Maybe you're right saying Thom's voice is technically better, but for me that's not important.

"Technical" ? Yuck! Who wants "technique" in rock n roll,give me passion.soul and feeling any time,none of which Thom Yorke has,to me at least.

I wanted to say something like this. The way Moz sings communicates to me much more than Thom's one or any other singer. But I've never said Thom sings bad or has an awful voice or such silly things. Simply I like Moz's voice more. That's all.

Last edited:
However, I'd never say they were "plain, bloody awful" or whatever that idiot "snapyou" has to say.

OI,you! Don't be nasty now.
Mind you there ain't much difference between you calling me an idiot and me calling Radiohead awful.

So,on second thoughts,name calling is cool :cool:

Sorry for not reading any previous posts on this thread.

Proof (if any were needed) that The Smiths are the greatest band of the last 30 years. Good as they are, these guys are just not in the same class.

Apologies for stating the bleedin' obvious, but have a gander at the front page - Thom Yorke himself has e-mailed THIS site asking what people think of their cover version.

Peter

Apologies for stating the bleedin' obvious, but have a gander at the front page - Thom Yorke himself has e-mailed THIS site asking what people think of their cover version.

Peter

Wow, Thom and other members of Radiohead are reading the posts on main page and this thread!
*waves*

I like it. :)

eh.
never been one for radiohead.

It's a tragedy that Radioheads have one of the worst singers in pop history. Musically, they are often brilliant but vocally and (often but not always) lyrically they are just horrible.
Tom (no I'm not putting that bloody 'h' in his name!) is like some kind of perpetual adolescent despite the fact he's knocking on 40.
The new album's had amazing reviews...

hehe!
.....you are joking, aren't you?

Opinions on the main page are almost completely positive, whereas here it gets slammed. Odd.

Last edited:
hehe!
.....you are joking, aren't you?

Opinions on the main page are almost completely positive, whereas here it gets slammed. Odd.

It's not odd at all. The presumption on the part of the thread contributors is that Thom Yorke will read the front page and not this one.

The cover is adequate, maybe a little better than a passable imitation of The Smiths. I don't understand the raves. I like Radiohead a lot but this isn't the sort of song they do well, in my opinion. I liked their version of "Ceremony" better, although there again I thought it sounded like they were playing the song too respectfully instead of giving it their own flavor. You had to love Yorke's Barney impersonation, though, slumped forward, hands cupped over the microphone like a drunk coaxing the last drops from a beer tap.

Last edited:
I'm with you on this. I have no problem with the song musically, but why even try to compete with Morrissey's vocals? I guess I just don't see the point of this cover. It's a deferential note for note cover with sub-par vocals. Great... I'm glad that was introduced into the music world.:confused:

Again, I must say that the music is great, but the vocals are just not my cup of tea. Perhaps I'm too accustomed to Morrissey's smooth, rich, cultured delivery of the song, and so Thom Yorke's rougher vocals just don't sound good to me.

In my opinion, "The Headmaster Ritual" really rocks, and, to me, it sounds the best when the band is really jamming out, and when the guitars sound crunchy and raw. It makes me wonder what, say, a Nirvana cover would've sounded like (just speculation...:o).

as someone said above decent cover for a great smiths song... it was ok till the voice came up hehe!

i like on the WPTMIM dvd when morrissey sings "...elbow in the face!" and, of course, he waves his elbow... just brilliant.

I am quite aware that Thom Yorke's voice is hard to get used to, it's not a voice for passers-by or occasional listeners, it's difficult, disturbing, whiny, it's not a great singing voice in the strictest sense. And btw Morrissey's voice isn't either.

What always overwhelms me is the musicality of the Radiohead members and the sheer beauty of their songs...the lyrics, the vocals, the melodies (!?)...everything will fall into place if you would just deign and give them a listen. "Kid A" and "Amnesiac" (not to speak of "OK, Computer" or "The Bends" which are beyond belief) are pieces of music that will surely go down in history. Whenever i listen to those albums i discover something new - some things pleasant, some things unpleasant. They're very brave.

Music should stir emotions, positive or negative.

*rant over*

P.S. Thom Yorke can't wave his "elbow in the face" because he's playing the guitar.

P.P.S. I love Moz to death.

Peter

I don't believe that for a second

just a fan who had the guts to call himself Thom Yorke and mailed this
site

Write whatever you want, I don't believe Thoms personally mailing a fansite,
untill I see the mail and the headers of the mail, especially the last, the
headers of the mail

I am quite aware that Thom Yorke's voice is hard to get used to, it's not a voice for passers-by or occasional listeners, it's difficult, disturbing, whiny, it's not a great singing voice in the strictest sense. And btw Morrissey's voice isn't either.

What always overwhelms me is the musicality of the Radiohead members and the sheer beauty of their songs...the lyrics, the vocals, the melodies (!?)...everything will fall into place if you would just deign and give them a listen. "Kid A" and "Amnesiac" (not to speak of "OK, Computer" or "The Bends" which are beyond belief) are pieces of music that will surely go down in history. Whenever i listen to those albums i discover something new - some things pleasant, some things unpleasant. They're very brave.

Music should stir emotions, positive or negative.

*rant over*

P.S. Thom Yorke can't wave his "elbow in the face" because he's playing the guitar.

P.P.S. I love Moz to death.

I'm too lazy to write my own dissertation on my feelings about radiohead, so instead I'm just gonna quote this and say that I agree. I can understand people not liking Radiohead's last few albums, but if you can sit through "the Bends" and "Ok Computer" and say it's crap, than theres something wrong with you. Thom's voice on these records especially, is amazing. just listen to his range on "Sulk" off "the Bends." its insane. I think he has a great voice. no need to compare it to Morrissey's. both are very different, but very good in their own way.

musically this cover is fantastic. it's so on point, I dont know how some people can't hear this? this version is MILES better than the one on "M in Manchester." Radiohead are f***ing amazing musicians. Morrissey might say more to me about my life, but the members of Radiohead are better than any musician that has backed up Moz (cept for Johnny of course.) I wish I could hear them cover the Smiths whole back catalog.

Radiohead fans aren't used to much criticism are they?

Personally, I think they are the most boring band in the world. :D

I agree that its a really good version of a bloody great song!​

Radiohead fans aren't used to much criticism are they?

Personally, I think they are the most boring band in the world. :D

Agreed. They don't touch my mind or soul and don't make my feet move.
Poor ,poor, poor

Back
Top Bottom