Radiohead do storming cover of Headmaster Ritual on radiohead.tv

It's a tragedy that Radioheads have one of the worst singers in pop history. Musically, they are often brilliant but vocally and (often but not always) lyrically they are just horrible.
Tom (no I'm not putting that bloody 'h' in his name!) is like some kind of perpetual adolescent despite the fact he's knocking on 40.
The new album's had amazing reviews...

Actually I think you'll find I'm right!

Of course, the truth is that it's pointless arguing about whether a singer is any good. It's the unique timbre in someone's singing voice which either attracts or repels. I'd never try and convince someone to listen to Moz if they didn't like his voice.

To me, Thhhhhhhhhhhom sounds like all the things Moz used to get accused of; depressing, whiny etc but without Morrissey's humour, sharpness and poetic touch (of yore, at least).

Actually I think you'll find I'm right!

Of course, the truth is that it's pointless arguing about whether a singer is any good. It's the unique timbre in someone's singing voice which either attracts or repels. I'd never try and convince someone to listen to Moz if they didn't like his voice.

To me, Thhhhhhhhhhhom sounds like all the things Moz used to get accused of; depressing, whiny etc but without Morrissey's humour, sharpness and poetic touch (of yore, at least).

I will say his style of singing is vary differrent than Morrissey which matches his music. And Thom singing of the cover doesn't match the song but it isn't horrible, at least I think so

Absolutely incredible cover - streets ahead of anything Morrissey's "band" is capable of. Music/vocals.. all perfection.

Shame they didn't cover a different Joy Division song - never been a big fan of Ceremony.

gosh i love Boz and the boys but I tell you this got me thinking that Moz should tour with those dudes. Very nice job musically... Maybe Boz can work with them cause I do like him.... I really like that version musically... naturally Mozza needs to be singing... but that is a pretty good job they did huh? nice...

Again, I must say that the music is great, but the vocals are just not my cup of tea. Perhaps I'm too accustomed to Morrissey's smooth, rich, cultured delivery of the song, and so Thom Yorke's rougher vocals just don't sound good to me.

In my opinion, "The Headmaster Ritual" really rocks, and, to me, it sounds the best when the band is really jamming out, and when the guitars sound crunchy and raw. It makes me wonder what, say, a Nirvana cover would've sounded like (just speculation...:o).

Right,he's just awful,awful.

Radiohead are one of the most over rated bands of all time.They take me back to the 70s dinosaurs like ELP etc etc..
Truly dreadful .

In fact,i once got into a heated argument in LA when i said pretty much the same thing,adding that I preferred Britney Spears and although Britney's not up to much nowadays i still believe Hit Me Baby One More Time towers over any of Radiohead's turgid whining.

Over and out,I'll get my coat now..:cool:

Oh,I'm back again,just heard their version of Ceremony,one of JD/NO's best songs:how bad is that?!!! Dear god! They should be hung ,drawn and quartered immediately for dancing so dreadfully on the grave of Ian Curtis

Last edited:
I used to love Thom's voice, but after listening to Morrissey I must say I don't like it that much anymore. It's kinda boring and of course he whines too much.
I used to love Thom's lyrics too, but when I discovered Morrissey everything else (ok, not everything) seemed shit, or at least not talking about my life.

And yes, humour. Moz has a fine sense of humour.

If you mean "storming" in the sense of a "shit storm," then yeah. Well, that's a bit harsh. I agree with other posters that musically, it's quite good, but Yorke's voice makes me want to, well, hork. And Colin Meloy's, for that matter.

Back
Top Bottom