R 'n R HOF 2008 nominations: no Smiths

Mars_Rover

In fact, IMO it's the weakest, most pathetic line-up ever (except for Leonard Cohen, who's probably having a laugh at being called rock 'n roll):

9/28/2007

THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME FOUNDATION ANNOUNCES NOMINEES FOR 2008 INDUCTION

(New York) --- The nominations for 2008 induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame were announced today. The nine nominees are: Afrika Bambaataa, Beastie Boys, Chic, Leonard Cohen, The Dave Clark Five, Madonna, John Mellencamp, Donna Summer and The Ventures. Ballots with these nominees will be sent to over 500 voters who will choose the acts for inclusion into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for this year. Five new inductees will be honored at the annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony on March 10, 2008 at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel in New York.

The nominations for 2008 induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame were announced today. The nine nominees are: Afrika Bambaataa, Beastie Boys, Chic, Leonard Cohen, The Dave Clark Five, Madonna, John Mellencamp, Donna Summer and The Ventures.

Agree with Chic ,Bambaataa and Madonna

The Dave Clarke Five ?! :eek:

Poor Dave Clarke Five: they've been d*cked around by the HOF for years. They've been nominated every year for I don't know how long - maybe 10 years - but they never win. Maybe it's a private joke amongst the board members, dunno.

I still think the idea of a "rock and roll hall of fame" is stupid.

So there.

Good gracious - either we overestimated the HOF's taste, or we overestimated the HOF's taste.

I thought nearly everyone, even outside the Smiths community, thought they were an immediate shoo-in. Guess the fabled anti-English bias told, and the Smiths get at least another year of unquestioned cool.

Good gracious - either we overestimated the HOF's taste, or we overestimated the HOF's taste.

I thought nearly everyone, even outside the Smiths community, thought they were an immediate shoo-in. Guess the fabled anti-English bias told, and the Smiths get at least another year of unquestioned cool.

Did The Smiths release a record in the US in 1982? If they didn't then they aren't eligible this year are they?

Yes it has to be 25 years on, but the starting point for the 2008 awards would be 1983 I think.

I thought it had to be 25 years after your first release that you become eligible for the RnRHOF? if so, they're not eligible...yet! If not, I don't take too much stock In the RnRHOF anyways, groups that should be in (Like KISS) aren't, and some groups that shouldbt be, are.

Poor Dave Clarke Five: they've been d*cked around by the HOF for years. They've been nominated every year for I don't know how long - maybe 10 years - but they never win. Maybe it's a private joke amongst the board members, dunno.

The Dave Clarke Five were no.1 when I was born.
A piece of useless info. I know.:)
The Rezillos did a better version of it. Anyone guess?

Don't band's that go in the HoF generally have to had sold a lot more records that the Smiths managed anyway?

Madonna (Dont listen to her music but recognize her importance on the industry), Dave Clark Five and the Beastie Boys should get in. I know how many feel about the three jewish kids from Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan but to fail to recognize their contributions to music specifically punk and hip hop is just another display of everything that does make people consider this place "so-low".

The Smiths will not be eligible until next year, when they will get in 'I assume this because of an article published last year listing several artists that were close to definetly getting in.'

Don't band's that go in the HoF generally have to had sold a lot more records that the Smiths managed anyway?

Velvet Underground didn't...

And nobody here should feel bad. The Stooges aren't in and they've been eligible since 1995-ish. New York Dolls have been eligible since 98-ish.

Of all of those listed only three are Rock and Roll, one of them I don't know a single song by, and one of them is very sad.

Maybe Madonna will make out with Donna Summer though! :p

I don't think it's anti-English. It's that record companies control the voting, because of who is on the board. I read about it somewhere. The nominations are controlled by certain record companies and they tend to nominate their own artists, as some people still buy a record based on the publicity generated by all this.

They have put quite a few English people in it, but I don't really know how it breaks down.

Back
Top Bottom