"stevenage overspill"?

N

noam

what does that mean?
i think stevenage means steven-age - the years when he was called steven. but whats an overspill?
i have a notion about maladjusted - the song describes a person`s confession as it sounds on the analyst`s couch - "i want to start from before the begining"
and than the analyst says: "there`s nothing wrong with you"
that makes sense, because alain sang that (even though sometimes moz sings the protagonist and his antagonist)

> Cor Blimey!

Stevenage is just another noun form of Steven (as in "garbage", etc.), and overspill means too much of himself has come out.

Is this amateur hour?

> what does that mean?

Sweet Americans,

Stevenage is a town just to the north of London. It's about halfway between the North of the M25 and Oxford (At least that's where it feels like it is - I've only ever passed through on BR). Several recent popular "indie" bands have come from this town (maybe radiohead and supergrass; I can't remember which ones right now, but noone worth loving.)

I've alway's taken that line to be about excess of this type of indie band that owe a lot to the Smiths but never give credit to Morrissey...

or, it could be about the claustrophobic feeling you get in a London suburb. You're overspill, you don't really fit in with the ordinary boys... oh, I don't know, I make it up as I go along.

anyway, Stevenage is a humdrum town and that's all you really needed to know.

E.

Dad said I would be popular - Pop, you liar.

Stevenage is a town that was built more or less solely around the large railway works that sprang up there (cf Crewe). I think "overspill" relates to the fact that in the 1930 - 60s, local town councils cleared the slum areas of towns and cities and built large housing estates on the outskirts, creating urban sprawl and other unpleasant social problems.

british.gif

Back
Top Bottom