"James Dean is Not Dead" & MOZ PLAGIARIZED(!)

C

Cili Barnes

I've got a couple of things I'd like to mention here. The first thing is, I was wondering about "James Dean is Not Dead". I could swear that I've read a couple of times that this was a book written by our Mozzer but just recently I've seen it referred to as an essay. I obviously have never read this work, as ashamed as I am to admit it, and now I can no longer control my interest in it. If anyone has any information on where I might be able to read or buy "James Dean is Not Dead", I would be very grateful. If anybody out there is willing to sell me a copy, I'd be willing to pay quite a lot of money for it. Probably.

The next thing I wanted to mention to the masses is the way Morrissey so shamelessly has been plagiarized by Bret Easton Ellis (Less Than Zero and The Rules of Attraction) in his most recent attempt at writing, "American Psycho" (coming to a theatre near you). On page 377's first paragraph there is a passage that reads "Is evil something you are? Or is it something you do?" Does this sound familiar to anyone or everyone? Now, I've always liked that line of "Sister, I'm a Poet" (the words aren't exactly identical but it's obvious that Mr. Ellis has stolen them) as I've always found it clever and I hate the idea of Bret Easton Ellis taking credit for it. This is the only book of his that I have read but it's painfully apparent that he is absolutely incapable of being this witty. He has proven through his works that he is a virtual expert on anything "eighties" and I find it extremely difficult to swallow that he knows nothing about The Smiths or Morrissey. I probably wouldn't be so irked by what he's done if I didn't hate the book so much. I just can't help but allow some of this revulsion towards "American Psycho" transfer onto the author.

"Please excuse the length of my letter. If I had more time it would be shorter."

- George Bernard Shaw

He'd be last in line....

> I've got a couple of things I'd like to mention here. The first¿ thing is, I was wondering about "James Dean is Not¿ Dead". I could swear that I've read a couple of times that¿ this was a book written by our Mozzer but just recently I've¿ seen it referred to as an essay. I obviously have never read¿ this work, as ashamed as I am to admit it, and now I can no¿ longer control my interest in it. If anyone has any information¿ on where I might be able to read or buy "James Dean is Not¿ Dead", I would be very grateful. If anybody out there is¿ willing to sell me a copy, I'd be willing to pay quite a lot of¿ money for it. Probably.¿ The next thing I wanted to mention to the masses is the way¿ Morrissey so shamelessly has been plagiarized by Bret Easton¿ Ellis (Less Than Zero and The Rules of Attraction) in his most¿ recent attempt at writing, "American Psycho" (coming¿ to a theatre near you). On page 377's first paragraph there is a¿ passage that reads "Is evil something you are? Or is it¿ something you do?" Does this sound familiar to anyone or¿ everyone? Now, I've always liked that line of "Sister, I'm¿ a Poet" (the words aren't exactly identical but it's¿ obvious that Mr. Ellis has stolen them) as I've always found it¿ clever and I hate the idea of Bret Easton Ellis taking credit¿ for it. This is the only book of his that I have read but it's¿ painfully apparent that he is absolutely incapable of being this¿ witty. He has proven through his works that he is a virtual¿ expert on anything "eighties" and I find it extremely¿ difficult to swallow that he knows nothing about The Smiths or¿ Morrissey. I probably wouldn't be so irked by what he's done if¿ I didn't hate the book so much. I just can't help but allow some¿ of this revulsion towards "American Psycho" transfer¿ onto the author.¿ "Please excuse the length of my letter. If I had more time¿ it would be shorter."¿ - George Bernard Shaw

Genius Steals.... Could some big nose out there confirm that "Is evil..." is original Morrissey verse? Because tons of his words are those of other people.

Who has the site with the list of novels/plays/films that been plaugerised by Morrissey?

Its all good give-and-take.

Swallow Shirts

I've heard about this book a few times too. Unfortunately I was never able to find it. I've called dozens of places to see if it has ever even been in print and not one person has heard of it. Even while in England I hit as many book stores as I possibly could, but had not luck.
If you get any new info let me know. I'm just as interested in solving this mystery as you are.
-Jove

> I've got a couple of things I'd like to mention here. The first¿ thing is, I was wondering about "James Dean is Not¿ Dead". I could swear that I've read a couple of times that¿ this was a book written by our Mozzer but just recently I've¿ seen it referred to as an essay.

THere is a copy of "James Dean is not dead" On the net somewhere.. i've seen it.. I can't be much help since im trying to find the link and cant!! I'll keep looking for you though k!!

fist.gif

Where do ya'll get all of these bad-ass pix of morrissey?? I like the one where he has his head on a guys stomach. Where can I find that one??¿ THere is a copy of "James Dean is not dead" On the net¿ somewhere.. i've seen it.. I can't be much help since im trying¿ to find the link and cant!! I'll keep looking for you though k!!

That beautiful picture

> Where do ya'll get all of these bad-ass pix of morrissey?? I¿ like the one where he has his head on a guys stomach. Where can¿ I find that one??
The picyure where he's laying on someone's stomach and he's wearing that checked shirt is from an article in a 92 Details magazine. I am inclined to think that it's his own stomach b/c there is a scar in the same place as the one that he refers to ing the footnotes of the Your Arsenal album.

An Answer

_James Dean is Not Dead_ is a collection of essays Morrissey wrote either before or during the start of the 80s...A bit ago, they resurfaced, and Moz (or a spokesperson) send an email to this website asking people not to buy it. Moz said that they're shotty (sp?) work and not fit for print.

Oh, and I wouldn't pay too much for them (there's more than one book) cause sometimes they're for sale at Amazon.com.

Hope someone can give you a better answer

H. Caulfield

Re: That beautiful picture

> The picyure where he's laying on someone's stomach and he's¿ wearing that checked shirt is from an article in a 92 Details¿ magazine. I am inclined to think that it's his own stomach b/c¿ there is a scar in the same place as the one that he refers to¿ ing the footnotes of the Your Arsenal album.
--------------
The picture is from a Details article from '94 (Homme Alone 2). It can probably be found at either the Motorcycle Au Pair Boy. Follow the link on the front page of Morrissey-Solo.

He'd have to be a contortionist to lay his head on his own stomach. It's Jake.

Re: That beautiful picture

> --------------¿ The picture is from a Details article from '94 (Homme Alone 2).¿ It can probably be found at either the Motorcycle Au Pair Boy.¿ Follow the link on the front page of Morrissey-Solo.¿ He'd have to be a contortionist to lay his head on his own¿ stomach. It's Jake.
They can do wonderful things with those new fangled cameras nowadays. I still think it's his own stomac inlaid.

Here's a Place Where You Can Purchase the Book in Question

> THere is a copy of "James Dean is not dead" On the net¿ somewhere.. i've seen it.. I can't be much help since im trying¿ to find the link and cant!! I'll keep looking for you though k!!

Click onto the link below if you'd like to purchase the book. (Sorry it took me so long, I've just been lazy).

Morrissey and the Smiths For Sale

That beautiful picture of Moz and Jake

Anton Corbijn took that picture. One of the pictures from the shoot is in his book "Star Trak" on page 106. Morrissey's head is in the man's lap with the Moz fake tattoo proudly displayed. The photo is credited to "MORRISSEY and friend London 1994."

It's Jake's lap, no doubt about it.¿ They can do wonderful things with those new fangled cameras¿ nowadays. I still think it's his own stomac inlaid.

Re: He'd be last in line....

> Genius Steals.... Could some big nose out there confirm that¿ "Is evil..." is original Morrissey verse? Because tons¿ of his words are those of other people.¿ Who has the site with the list of novels/plays/films that been¿ plaugerised by Morrissey?¿ Its all good give-and-take.
bosie - you may be interested ( if you do not already own it ) a book by Douglas Coupland called Girlfriend In A Coma. The story is a little weak but entertaining only for the fact that Mr. Coupland has peppered the novel throughout with Smiths lyrics..It's amusing. As for Mr. Ellis, I cannot wait to see American Psycho! Christian Bale is playing the enigmatic Patric Bateman. I just thought I would mention the Coupland book. Short of substance- but the Smiths refs are amusing.

¿ The next thing I wanted to mention to the masses is the way¿ Morrissey so shamelessly has been plagiarized by Bret Easton¿ Ellis (Less Than Zero and The Rules of Attraction) in his most¿ recent attempt at writing, "American Psycho" (coming¿ to a theatre near you). On page 377's first paragraph there is a¿ passage that reads "Is evil something you are? Or is it¿ something you do?" Does this sound familiar to anyone or¿ everyone? Now, I've always liked that line of "Sister, I'm¿ a Poet" (the words aren't exactly identical but it's¿ obvious that Mr. Ellis has stolen them) as I've always found it¿ clever and I hate the idea of Bret Easton Ellis taking credit¿ for it. This is the only book of his that I have read but it's¿ painfully apparent that he is absolutely incapable of being this¿ witty.

Do you have any idea how many ideas Morrissey has borrowed from other people in making his own works?

That one tiny phrase is not an entire book.

> Do you have any idea how many ideas Morrissey has borrowed from¿ other people in making his own works?

Yes I do, but Morrissey is talented and wonderful so he is easily forgiven.¿ That one tiny phrase is not an entire book.

I agree but what's your point? Please don't say that you're defending Bret Easton Ellis or you will be severely spanked.

for the last time

> They can do wonderful things with those new fangled cameras¿ nowadays. I still think it's his own stomac inlaid.

We've been through this before. Recently.

It's Jake, it's Jake, it's Jake!!! Everybody knows that. It wouldn't be worth the effort to mess around with newfangled cameras when Jake was there to be the pillow. Jake has a much hairier tummy than Morrissey, if you haven't noticed.

belly.jpg

mining the net for Moz pics

> Where do ya'll get all of these bad-ass pix of morrissey?? I¿ like the one where he has his head on a guys stomach. Where can¿ I find that one??

(why does everyone like that belly picture so much?)

Good places to find Moz photos ("bad-ass" and otherwise):

It May All End Tomorrow - http://www.oz.net/~moz/

The Arcane Old Wardrobe - http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Lounge/3438/

Also a place called 'To die by your side'. The Shoplifters Union lists lots of sites with pictures, too.

Most Moz sites have at least a few pictures. I've managed to pick up about 150 jpegs and gifs of Morrissey over the past few months.

alone.jpg

Listen to what Morrissey says

Somebody has that book or part of it posted on their page. I don't find it interesting.¿ The next thing I wanted to mention to the masses is the way¿ Morrissey so shamelessly has been plagiarized

I wouldn't call one line plagiarism. Morrissey quotes from other people all the time, and it's perfectly legitimate to make references to other artists in your own work, as long as you don't steal wholesale. That line you're talking about is so trifling I don't even think it matters.

Morrissey's 'don't buy the book' letter is linked below.

Morrissey says don't buy it!

> Yes I do, but Morrissey is talented and wonderful so he is¿ easily forgiven.

Maybe this writer likes Morrissey's style in plagarizing and therefore wants to pay tribute by stealing Morrissey's stuff.¿ I agree but what's your point? Please don't say that you're¿ defending Bret Easton Ellis or you will be severely spanked.

I'm sorry. I have to. As Alfred Hitchcock and Stanley Kubrick read books and short stories to turn into movies, as the Brothers Grimm took old wives tales and got all the credit for making them Fairy Tales, as Shakespeare took the idea for Romeo and Juliet from a story that had been told for over a century before he "wrote" it, it is a tradition to take other people's works and make them into another style.

Back
Top Bottom