Quorn!

yeah, ive thought of doing that, with sosmix or the like, but dont you have to 'deep' fry them, in a chip pan type thing? thats the bit i dont like the idea off.

I think we put ours in a deep fat fryer, but frying them, say 1" deep and turning them a few times to get them cooked all over would probably work just as well.

Chestnut mushroom and Quorn carbonnade

Serves: 4

2 medium onions, sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
250g chestnut mushrooms, quartered
350g Quorn chunks
1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
1 teaspoon Marmite
1 tablespoon shoyu
250ml boiling water
330ml organic ale
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon cornflour
salt and freshly ground black pepper
slices of brown bread
French mustard

Heat the oven to 190C/Gas5. Heat the olive oil in a large ovenproof casserole dish. Add the sliced onions and fry until golden and beginning to caramelise. Add the garlic and fry for a further minute. Add the mushrooms, turn up the heat and stir-fry until the mushrooms are beginning to brown. Add the Quorn and stir-fry quickly. Make the stock with the bouillon, Marmite, shoyu and boiling water. Over a low heat stir the stock into the casserole, then add the beer, bay leaves and sugar and bring to the boil, stirring. Lower the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes until the carbonnade is a lovely rich brown. Remove the bay leaves. Mix the cornflour with a tablespoon of water and mix into a smooth paste. Stir the cornflour into the stew and simmer until the stew thickens. Season to taste.

Slice enough bread to cover the top of the casserole. Spread the bread generously with French mustard. Place the bread, mustard side up, to cover the carbonnade and push the bread down on to the gravy. It's essential there is enough liquid for you to be able to dunk the bread. If not, add a little more boiling water to the stew before adding the bread. Cook for 30 minutes in the oven or until the bread is crisp and golden.

Adapted from 'Green World Cookbook' by Rachel Demuth; www.demuths.co.uk

I found this online about Quorn.

Quorn is the brand name of meat substitutes that are made from a vat-grown fungus. Some people have dangerous allergic reactions to the fungus and suffer nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and occasionally hives or difficulty breathing. Some people react the first time they eat Quorn, while some react only after building up a sensitivity.

Medical studies have proven that Quorn's fungal ingredient is an allergen, but the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the United Kingdom's Food Standards Agency still allow its sale. The Center for Science in the Public Interest, a non-profit food-safety organization based in Washington, D.C., has heard from more than 600 consumers in Europe and the United States who have suffered reactions to Quorn.

Despite what some of the manufacturer's (Marlow Foods) marketing materials indicate, the fungus used in Quorn is only distantly related to mushrooms, truffles, or morels. While all are members of the fungus kingdom, Quorn is made from a less appetizing fungus (or mold) called Fusarium venenatum.

www.cspinet.org/quorn

yay Cauldron foods rock too, their main factory is in portishead (just up the road from where i grew up) and the smell, ohh its divine, you knwo when you get that lovely waft of chips, its like that but a nuttier smell, it drove me insane with hunger last time i was walking round the town.

they make the BEST falafel.

I do love quorn, i think its incredibly clever and versatile, and i eat a lot of their products, but for some reason cannot eat the sausages, any variation of them, (also the cauldron ones) even though i KNOW they are veggie, ive been known to sit there and cry whilst eating them because I feel like im eating flesh... (makes no sense i know) so i just avoid them which is a shame but i cant get over that 'feeling/sensation when i eat them.

linda maccartney sausages were great,(preferable to quoprn because they are more cerealy) then they chaged the recipe recently, i nearly puked last time i had some, theyve RUINED them. :mad:

Cauldron tofu is good stuff: drain, squeeze, chunk, marinade in soy and spices, then fry in half an inch of sunflower (with a bit of sesame added) oil and serve with stir-fried veg in a black bean sauce. Yum! :)

I gave up meat 17 years ago, but still miss it sometimes, so I'm quite happy with the more realistic fake "meats". I might re-try the Linda Mac sausages if they're "ruined" as I used to dislike them.

Quorn is the brand name of meat substitutes that are made from a vat-grown fungus. Some people have dangerous allergic reactions to the fungus and suffer nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and occasionally hives or difficulty breathing. Some people react the first time they eat Quorn, while some react only after building up a sensitivity.

Medical studies have proven that Quorn's fungal ingredient is an allergen, but the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and the United Kingdom's Food Standards Agency still allow its sale. The Center for Science in the Public Interest, a non-profit food-safety organization based in Washington, D.C., has heard from more than 600 consumers in Europe and the United States who have suffered reactions to Quorn.

Despite what some of the manufacturer's (Marlow Foods) marketing materials indicate, the fungus used in Quorn is only distantly related to mushrooms, truffles, or morels. While all are members of the fungus kingdom, Quorn is made from a less appetizing fungus (or mold) called Fusarium venenatum.

www.cspinet.org/quorn

Hmmm...interesting.

Has never caused a reaction in me, but then again, I'm riddled with every form of pox known to humanity....

F, you could've posted the recipe in Kate's Favourite Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes thread.

BTW, shoyu is soy sauce in Japanese. ;)

I suppose, but it's quorn-related :)

Let me "shoyu" the way to go..

I think we put ours in a deep fat fryer, but frying them, say 1" deep and turning them a few times to get them cooked all over would probably work just as well.

ooh i might try that... thankyou :)

i wonder if quorn will ever manage to make it vegan, cause then i could be vegan very easily. :rolleyes:

I can't quite recall how we did it, but yonks back, we used to make scotch eggs using that Granose nut roast mix, pressed around the egg as the "meat", then breading and frying them. Quite tasty, as I recall. Might try it again or using Sosmix.

OI, Kate, clear some space in your inbox will ya? :rolleyes:

linda maccartney sausages were great,(preferable to quoprn because they are more cerealy) then they chaged the recipe recently, i nearly puked last time i had some, theyve RUINED them. :mad:

They're awful. I hadn't had them since I was quite young so I tried them the other week:sick:, I used to love them ...
Quorn sausages are horrid too, they taste of nothing. So Couldron it is. :)

As my mum still cooks for me, and she still has dairy, I eat Quorn - I'd thought I'd stop once I'm feeding myself but I do love them.:sweet:

I don't eat Quorn. I can't eat mushrooms and I think it's too closely related and that's why it upsets my stomach.

Cauldron foods are good. I did a veggie "toad in the hole" with tofu sausages....mmmmmm..

www.cspinet.org/quorn

Interesting, but 'more than 600' isn't really a massive amount of people when you consider how many people eat the stuff, is it?

Back
Top Bottom