Quillette: "Nick Cave: “Conservatism Is an Aspiration”" - Morrissey mention (February 12, 2023)

Nick Cave: “Conservatism Is an Aspiration”

"You mentioned Morrissey. He made an enormous amount of exceptionally beautiful music, lest we forget, but he remains forever a thorn in the side of the prevailing cultural mood. Morrissey has the audacity, the courage, not to be boring. I admire that. Thank God there are some people like that still kicking around.

As for advice, I’m not sure I have any, other than to say, don’t spend too much of your precious time trying to please people. Most people, in the end, respond to authenticity, they yearn for it, and they will seek you out if they recognise in you that genuineness. It is the artist’s way to be at least that. Authentic. Genuine. Real. So be true to yourself, and what will come will come."

Regards,
FWD.

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nick is ok but basically cannot sing... It’s middle class drama student stuff to my ears and eyes. He was a funny looking goth in the Birthday Party for a few years and then it’s been unending solo albums of similar nothingness to Paul Weller solo albums. Great 5 star reviews every time he releases something from the press then you try and listen to it and realise there are no songs, hooks, melodies or indeed anything there!
I will you on Nick, you got away with it man!

Nick is ok but basically cannot sing... It’s middle class drama student stuff to my ears and eyes. He was a funny looking goth in the Birthday Party for a few years and then it’s been unending solo albums of similar nothingness to Paul Weller solo albums. Great 5 star reviews every time he releases something from the press then you try and listen to it and realise there are no songs, hooks, melodies or indeed anything there!
You must be high.

His early output is seminal and his more recent work is equally as brilliant. I recognize that is my opinion and that taste in music is subjective but Cave is a brilliant example of aging gracefully as a musician. Not sure we can say the same about Moz.

I thought that the interviewer made a good point about his generosity toward fans. Where M has his nephew dribble out one liners, posts obits and occasional outbursts, Cave makes a bona fide effort to connect and does it often. There is no chance M would ever or could ever be as open, honest and offer so much as Cave does in the Red Hand Files.

Beautifully put. Yet there is still a crowd here who want Morrissey to please people and behave. I wonder what turned them to his music.

I like quillette. I'm going to have to catch up on their stuff.

Last edited:
You're insane. Everything he did after Sun Records was staged commercial trash.
I pity you and and your feeble mind. The amount of gorgeous music you’re missing out on is staggering.

Maybe the one hope worth having at this point is that life won't go on. That seems to be the message of Saint In a Stained Glass Window—at least on the individual level. It's like what Anthony Burgess said: "as we are all solipsists, and all die, the world dies with us." I'm sure Morrissey and Nick Cave will both keep making music, but I wonder if Morrissey's new title isn't a way of saying there's not much music left to speak of. "Love is on its way out," and so is music—and so, it seems, is the world. It might be more a statement of resignation than of hope.
I could be wrong but I've always heard Saint as a response to his mother's death. That's not to say that it doesn't contain themes that go all the way back to a song like Asleep. We can all yearn for death at times, that is part of the human condition. There is definitely a hint of finality, of something ending, in the new album title. To me The Smiths and Morrissey have always blended pessimism and optimism in a beautiful way. Pessimism - because the songs are about human cruelty and brutality and a sense of something better in the past that is slipping away - and optimism - because there is a sense that as human beings and as a society we can be something better than this. I have no doubt the new album will get the balance just right too.

He must be joking when he says Elvis' later music is better than his early stuff—and yet it reads as straight. There's no disputing over taste.

The last part about having hope and "believing in the ingenuity and imagination of our species" was too saccharine for me. Is Nick Cave into Elon Musk and and carbon capture and solar reflectors? No, "the human race is obsolete" and "the little kids, they live in hell now."

I prefer Elvis later music to his earlier stuff.... some of the earlier songs are great but i don't really like a lot of the rock n roll songs. I find some of the production poor and some songs can be spoilt by the barber shop backing vocals which are very dated.

Nick seems a cool dude
I watched a gig he did in Australia the other week
It was a top top gig .I'd have loved to have been there , my son loves him .

I remember seeing The Birthday Party with the Smiths ,I can't remember when though . They were fire .

I like that Nick sticks up for M.

Nick also lives in Sussex and often goes to The Duke Of York Cinema in Brighton , I say this as I have never heard a bad word about him.

Nick Cave also mentioned Morrissey on his Red Hand Files some time ago and wasn't quite so complimentary although he did say he enjoyed some of his music.

Why does Nick Cave talk like everything he says is so profound?
Because mostly it is. If you fail to comprehend this, the problem lies with you.

Well you clearly haven't listened to either Nick Cave or Paul Weller's albums.

Asinine statement from an anonymous bore on the web, go figure

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom