Quick question about 'Shame Is The Name'

Strings

At the start of the song there is a kid speaking French, well at least I think it's French:o. Just wondering does anyone know where it's from? It sounds like the kid from the 400 Blows but not sure.
(It's been playing on my mind 'tis all, feel free to delete this thread though, it's not exactly the most pressing question of the year)

Look at the note from Passions:
the sample at the beginning of the song is in French: "Salaud Morrisset, dégueulasse, tes jours sont comptés Morrisset... Il va t'arriver du mouron Morrisset!", which roughly translates to "Bastard Morrisset, disgusting, your days are numbered Morrisset... something fatal will happen to you Morrisset!". The 't' at the end of 'Morrisset' is silent and therefore the name sounds like 'Morrissey' to the English ear. The sample was lifted from the 1959 film "Les 400 coups" ("The 400 Blows").

the sample at the beginning of the song is in French: "Salaud Morrisset, dégueulasse, tes jours sont comptés Morrisset... Il va t'arriver du mouron Morrisset!", which roughly translates to "Bastard Morrisset, disgusting, your days are numbered Morrisset... something fatal will happen to you Morrisset!". The 't' at the end of 'Morrisset' is silent and therefore the name sounds like 'Morrissey' to the English ear. The sample was lifted from the 1959 film "Les 400 coups" ("The 400 Blows").

Ah thank you! I thought I recognised it as I quite like that film. :guitar:

There's a sample used in the song...
But I can't find the thread.

Last edited:
I did find a thread relating to the song, but it didn't mention anything about the sample of the film. Oh well, my mind is at rest, I'll be able to sleep soundly tonight now.;)

I'm sure it actually says "Mauricet" and not "Morrisset"

I'm sure it actually says "Mauricet" and not "Morrisset"

It was stolen from Passions Just Like Mine.
Every word is from there, then I have no responsabilty for it.
Anyway, wht Morrissey wanted was make fun with his name and this other...

Last edited:
Someone posted that the sample from French film '400 Blows'.

It's listed in http://passionsjustlikemine.com/

Click 'song lyrics', click Morrissey and click 'Shame Is The Name'.

If you scroll down the lyrics you find:
Note: the sample at the beginning of the song is in French: "Salaud Morrisset, dégueulasse, tes jours sont comptés Morrisset... Il va t'arriver du mouron Morrisset!", which roughly translates to "Bastard Morrisset, disgusting, your days are numbered Morrisset... something fatal will happen to you Morrisset!". The 't' at the end of 'Morrisset' is silent and therefore the name sounds like 'Morrissey' to the English ear. The sample was lifted from the 1959 film "Les 400 coups" ("The 400 Blows").

Last edited:
It was stolen from Passions Just Like Mine.
Every word is from there, then I have no responsabilty for it.
Anyway, wht Morrissey wanted was make fun with his name and this other...

Don't worry, it's ok.
To take away the doubt

Last edited by a moderator:
Just looked the song up in Mozipedia - says the clip is "roughly 10 minutes into the film" and that the name is indeed "Mauricet" but "pronounced very similar to Morrissey".

If that helps?

The little boy's face at the end of the movie when he realizes he has his freedom and all that entails... That would have been an awesome album cover for "Swords."

Or possibly a sleeve for the "Shame is the Name" single :D :guitar:

YES!! "Shame" really should have been an album track, or a single from "Swords" with unreleased b-sides (that would have been humorous!!).

I still want my Mozzer on the cover of an album (although the "Swords" cover/photo shoot looks like a dog walk gone terribly awry), so yes a single would have been better.

Back
Top Bottom