Question for vegans and vegetarians and omnivores as well...

I completely bypassed this thread.

Morrissey turned me and my mom on to vegetarianism and I abstained from meat for 10 years until 2001 when I started again but not all the way. I don’t eat red meat or pork and I hate fish. Deer, elk, rabbit or any game meat is vile on the taste buds. And the reason for my lack of meat consumption is guilt at the way the animals are tortured to death. Plain and simple.

I completely bypassed this thread.

Morrissey turned me and my mom on to vegetarianism and I abstained from meat for 10 years until 2001 when I started again but not all the way. I don’t eat red meat or pork and I hate fish. Deer, elk, rabbit or any game meat is vile on the taste buds. And the reason for my lack of meat consumption is guilt at the way the animals are tortured to death. Plain and simple.

Out of interest, how old is your mum?!

In case anyone is interested, these are terrific.

macaroons.jpg

almost 200 posts in less than a week :eek:
and 10% of it worth reading :thumb:
some pretty high numbers(in both cases) for this place these days :cool:

10% ? So severe , Rob !

Like Playcat (?) , I was another who was about to skip over this thread. I ended up finding the vast majority of it relevant , open-minded and civil.

As for myself , I became a vegetarian a long time ago and am now just a fraction away from veganism. I guess I'd say Morrissey didn't so much create/induce my interest in such but I'd be lying if I said his remarks ( on the topic) have never acted as a type of reinforcement.

10% ? So severe , Rob !

Like Playcat (?) , I was another who was about to skip over this thread. I ended up finding the vast majority of it relevant , open-minded and civil.

As for myself , I became a vegetarian a long time ago and am now just a fraction away from veganism. I guess I'd say Morrissey didn't so much create/induce my interest in such but I'd be lying if I said his remarks ( on the topic) have never acted as a type of reinforcement.

Like Playcat what?

Morrissey made me think deeper about the implications of eating meat. I have struggled ethically about how animals are treated and killed, hunted for food. I have seen enough suffering, animal and human alike. As I thought deeper about the topic, I could not, in my mind see any rational reason to eat meat or give money to the barbaric corporations who torture and kill the animals. We should not worship animals, yet as humans, with the ability to think, we should treat them with respect and act as their protectors.

I saw a story on CNN. It was a bout a chimp in Asia kept on display, day after day in a small plexiglass box in a market as an attraction. The chimp chain smoked all day and it was to the delight of the onlookers. The story was about the ethics of letting the chimp smoke, and nothing was mentioned about keeping him as a slave, on display for human pleasure. Why not let him smoke cocaine at that point? You ruined his life, took him from his own and degraded the creature. Why not let him smoke? Have some pleasure besides public masturbation.

Now I am vegetarian. I sleep better and feel better at all levels. I am not a snob about it but I wish others thought more about the ethical treatment of animals.

This is a wonderful dish that has been in my family for generations. It comes from my step grandmother who was born in Sicily and moved to America in her late teens.

This dish is super inexpensive, quick and easy to prepare, ingredients can be found all year long, and is vegetarian-- r vegan adaptable. You can double or triple the recipe easily for large parties. And is delicious at room temperature. And wonderful the next day.

Peas and Pasta

16 ounces cooked shells (whole wheat, gluten free if desired)
16 ounce package frozen green peas (slightly cooked)
2 cups chopped sweet onions
4 gloves garlic chopped fine
1 tsp. salt
Black pepper to taste
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (don't use dry-yuck)
6 Tbs. butter or oil
1/3 cup olive oil
Fresh grated Parmesan cheese (don't use canned/jarred stuff-yuck)

In large pan, heat oil and butter. Add garlic and onions. Saute until golden brown. Add drained cooked pasta, peas, salt and pepper, and parsley. Stir well, heat through. Serve with Parmesan cheese.

Just made a batch. Vegan style--no Parm or butter,

9955074553_8145c979d8.jpg

Last edited:
If I could ask a question, RB, and I hope you won't take this the wrong way, but I've just looked at your journal. While I was initially impressed by your project of trying veganism for a month, I'm now, frankly, disturbed.

You write that you never eat breakfast. You don't mention any snacks. You do mention coffee and tea, and those would seem to be all that's keeping you going.

It seems that dinner is your only real meal. Your "lunches" are merely fruit slices. You have had "watermelon cubes" for "lunch" five times since the beginning of the challenge. Here is the entire menu of "lunches":

"Lunch: Steamed artichoke petals

L: Watermelon cubes

L: Apple and pear slices

L: Sliced plums and apples

L: Honeydew slices

L: Sliced peaches and pears

L: Apple and plum slices

L: Apple and peach slices

L: Cantaloupe slices

L: Pear and Mandarin oranges

L: Peaches and Mandarin oranges

L: Cantaloupe slices"

In 21 days, these have been half your meals??? It seems impossible to me that you are, minus the coffee and tea, ingesting even 900 calories per day. This is self-destructive behavior.

As a woman who once came close to death through self-starvation, you seem to be repeating that behavior now, but in a way that ties in with your newer obsession of online self-advertisement. I seriously think you need to reflect on this new pathology, this new grasping after control (which is always, as I'm sure you learned in therapy, what the anorexic is fundamentally after).

I have family members who have suffered through similar issues, and I wish you the best.

10% ? So severe , Rob !

yeah, I my dickish sometimes comes out occassionally, sorry :o moving on, the recipe just posted sounds good :thumb:

Serve with Parmesan cheese.

Although as vegetarians of course we have to use a Parmesan substitute instead - like a generic Italian supermarket grating cheese - as all Parmesan contains rennet. Many restaurants still haven't picked on this so you have to be careful out there.

Although as vegetarians of course we have to use a Parmesan substitute instead - like a generic Italian supermarket grating cheese - as all Parmesan contains rennet. Many restaurants still haven't picked on this so you have to be careful out there.

Either go for the real stuff or leave it out. Fake Parm is disgusting compared to the real deal. I am eating vegan right now so I will leave it out and also use oil instead of butter.

This is a wonderful dish that has been in my family for generations. It comes from my step grandmother who was born in Sicily and moved to America in her late teens.

This dish is super inexpensive, quick and easy to prepare, ingredients can be found all year long, and is vegetarian-- r vegan adaptable. You can double or triple the recipe easily for large parties. And is delicious at room temperature. And wonderful the next day.

Peas and Pasta

16 ounces cooked shells (whole wheat, gluten free if desired)
16 ounce package frozen green peas (slightly cooked)
2 cups chopped sweet onions
4 gloves garlic chopped fine
1 tsp. salt
Black pepper to taste
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley (don't use dry-yuck)
6 Tbs. butter or oil
1/3 cup olive oil
Fresh grated Parmesan cheese (don't use canned/jarred stuff-yuck)

In large pan, heat oil and butter. Add garlic and onions. Saute until golden brown. Add drained cooked pasta, peas, salt and pepper, and parsley. Stir well, heat through. Serve with Parmesan cheese.

This sounds delicious! I'm gonna try it.

Just saw your food pics in the eating thread. Is the burger called a sticky bun? Looked yummy.
um, sort of, its a named after the "Jing river" I have no idea why, but I usually say just say "jigga"
which means "that" I know I should know more, but I don't languge except by example :o
so I copy perfectly? what the locals say and get positive results and other foriegners think I can speak the language
its not true, I just mimic pretty good :straightface:
but yeah, it taste gr8 :thumb:

If I could ask a question, RB, and I hope you won't take this the wrong way, but I've just looked at your journal. While I was initially impressed by your project of trying veganism for a month, I'm now, frankly, disturbed.

You write that you never eat breakfast. You don't mention any snacks. You do mention coffee and tea, and those would seem to be all that's keeping you going.

It seems that dinner is your only real meal. Your "lunches" are merely fruit slices. You have had "watermelon cubes" for "lunch" five times since the beginning of the challenge. Here is the entire menu of "lunches":

"Lunch: Steamed artichoke petals

L: Sliced plums and apples

L: Apple and plum slices

L: Apple and peach slices

L: Pear and Mandarin oranges

L: Peaches and Mandarin oranges

L: Cantaloupe slices"

In 21 days, these have been half your meals??? It seems impossible to me that you are, minus the coffee and tea, ingesting even 900 calories per day. This is self-destructive behavior.

As a woman who once came close to death through self-starvation, you seem to be repeating that behavior now, but in a way that ties in with your newer obsession of online self-advertisement. I seriously think you need to reflect on this new pathology, this new grasping after control (which is always, as I'm sure you learned in therapy, what the anorexic is fundamentally after).

I have family members who have suffered through similar issues, and I wish you the best.

Thanks Dr. Phil. Next time you want to voice your concern you might try a PM rather than the public shaming approach.

Back
Top Bottom