Question for the gamers Xbox playstation etc

The Seeker of Good Songs

I have never owned any of the Grand Theft Auto games.

Is there profanity/swearing type language in them?
If so, are there setup settings, that allow one to set limits on such?
That is, could it be set that no profanity would be spoken/heard (without turning the sound down)?

Is there nudity?

Would any of the games in this series be suitable for an 8 year old?

Re: Question for the gamers Xbox platstation etc

That is, could it be set that no profanity would be spoken/heard (without turning the sound down)?

Is there nudity?

Basically all you have to know is the answer to the last question...NO!!!

I don't think you can turn the profanity off and even if the shooting, things blowing up etc were ok with you, you can still drink, do drugs, and I believe pay for sex in the game. So I would say try a different game for an 8 year old. Perhpas Simpsons Road Rage. You still get to drive around like crazy and its funny and not offensive at all.

Basically all you have to know is the answer to the last question...NO!!!

I don't think you can turn the profanity off and even if the shooting, things blowing up etc were ok with you, you can still drink, do drugs, and I believe pay for sex in the game. So I would say try a different game for an 8 year old. Perhpas Simpsons Road Rage. You still get to drive around like crazy and its funny and not offensive at all.

Thank you.

I didn't know how involved the games was. I knew it was about gun shooting and car theft etc...didn't know of the drugs and sex angle.

I will look into the simpson one.

Absolutely go with Simpsons Road Rage. It's really a fantastic game; very much like GTA, except that its very funny with a LOT of Simpsons in-jokes if you're into that sort of thing. I picked up a used copy at a local shop for about $7. Its money well spent.

DEF Not, when it has an 18 certificate its there for a reason, one thing that makes me a bit cross is my son's friend who is the same age as my son (8) plays all these games and watches movies that are too mature for him as he has a brother who is 20 then he has Dylan saying quotes and stuff from them. The Shbf has GTA4 and Scott was desperate to play it today, he said I get to play it with my brother I said well you do not in this house.
Now... after that little rant, we do let Dylan play the Halo series. I leave it up to the shbf judgment which is usually pretty good in these matters.

It does have lots of swearing/sex/drugs and stuff.

I think I first played it when I was about 10? maybe a 11. (My dad's pretty liberal.)
But I never paid attention that stuff, I just played it to vent out frustrations, oh and to drive around. even though I suck at that. :(

But if you're worried, get Road Rage, or Simpson's Hit and Run (which is like GTA as you can run around and do missions and drive. the most violence in that is kicking people. =|)

But every person is different, some people (like me for instance) won't take attention to the violence and whatnot, and others will. But the rating system is there - use it.

:)

DEF Not, when it has an 18 certificate its there for a reason, one thing that makes me a bit cross is my son's friend who is the same age as my son (8) plays all these games and watches movies that are too mature for him as he has a brother who is 20 then he has Dylan saying quotes and stuff from them. The Shbf has GTA4 and Scott was desperate to play it today, he said I get to play it with my brother I said well you do not in this house.
Now... after that little rant, we do let Dylan play the Halo series. I leave it up to the shbf judgment which is usually pretty good in these matters.

Oh I didn't know it was rated for adult. I thought it was Teen but have never even looked at it's box.

as a side- what is "Shbf" - s**t head boy friend? I'm not up on all the lingo.

It does have lots of swearing/sex/drugs and stuff.

I think I first played it when I was about 10? maybe a 11. (My dad's pretty liberal.)
But I never paid attention that stuff, I just played it to vent out frustrations, oh and to drive around. even though I suck at that. :(

But if you're worried, get Road Rage, or Simpson's Hit and Run (which is like GTA as you can run around and do missions and drive. the most violence in that is kicking people. =|)

But every person is different, some people (like me for instance) won't take attention to the violence and whatnot, and others will. But the rating system is there - use it.

:)

My son's two favorite games are a demolition/destruction derby one and a motocross/motorcycle one. Both are rated teen mostly because of the pseudo violence and and an occasional "damn" and a girl in a bikini. I haven't seen or heard anything else "bad" in them and I played them prior to him and his sister to check them out because of the Teen rating. (I think they are Teen - they aren't "everyone", I know that.)

In the motorcycle one, if the rider crashes there is a "smear" of red where the rider falls and bounces on the ground and such.
When they were much younger I would say "oh he got a bloody nose".
They are old enough now to know that it's supposed to be the guy getting hurt or dieing but more importantly they know it's all pretend.

In the demolition derby, there is a chicken fight game where each car has a cannon that shoots a chicken at the other car to cause it damage. Good fun.

Eight year olds like smashing and crashing.

I think most child and adolescent psychologists would tell you to keep those types of games away from kids until they are in their teens and are able to understand the complexities of drugs, sex, and violence better.

Personally, my personal experience with the GTA games is that going on a cartoonish and highly unrealistic massacre is the funniest thing ever. Right after banging and murdering hookers of course.

Personally, my personal experience with the GTA games is that going on a cartoonish and highly unrealistic massacre is the funniest thing ever. Right after banging and murdering hookers of course.

Too true! (I'm over 18, though). If only I could afford an Xbox and find some more hours in the day, I'd be bang on GTAIV! That said, I'm a bit in love with Tommy Vercetti, so perhaps I should just stick to Vice City.

Yes, Hit and Run is the one to get, not Road Rage. My bad. Hit and run is far superior.

I've been playing T+ games since I was around 8, but it would be a really good idea to keep GTA away from wee beans. Always check the rating unless you really want to warp children. Who doesn't want to warp children, though? Share the wealth I say.

Wish I had a 360, I'd be on GTA4 like white on rice.

Last edited:

Is there nudity?

I would literally go by the ratings on the video games themselves. The only games I would say are given a stricter rating than they deserve are the Call of Duty series. The belief is that while there is no nudity or swearing or outlandish cartoon violence there IS realistic historical violence depicted within the series.

My favorite? Call of Duty 3. For some reason I still enjoyed the online mode of that more than Call of Duty 4.

Oh I didn't know it was rated for adult. I thought it was Teen but have never even looked at it's box.

as a side- what is "Shbf" - s**t head boy friend? I'm not up on all the lingo.

Smithhating Boyfriend. :rolleyes: he really really HATES Morrissey.

Back
Top Bottom