Question for Liverpudlians, or anyone around there (LPL) at this time frame.

C

Cemetry Gates

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erics_club_liverpool

Has anyone ever been to that place when it existed?
How about the record shop behind it?
Were you a regular? Whom did you see perform there?

As a bunnymen fan, it was known that Ian, Will and Les frequented there.

I am returning to LPL again in November and I'd like to find the exact location. I know it's near Mathew St. I went there too and walked about. Any information too, on how it was in there and how music developed from those bands around that time frame is appreciated.

I love that city and hope to return too, in 2008 b/c they are awarded as the Capitol of Culture. There's to be many things planned.

Erics club was flattened and built on many years ago- the nearest you will get to it is by standing next to the john lennon statue on matthew street...thats pretty much where the entrance was. as far as i know theres no indication it ever exsisted...however next to the statue theres a huge wall commemorating (sp? sorry!) just about every semi famous person ever vaguely connected to the city....doesnt make sence, does it, when many of the peple named on that wall may never have made it if it wasnt for the Erics scene.
unfortunately i never got to go there, just a few years too young, but i agree its a place of huge historic importance.
As for the record store, do you mean Probe? This was just about the best place for finding anything that wasnt quite mainstream. A great place to hang out...me and my mates used to go down every weekend just to look at 'the freaks' (by this time its was mostly what us young scalls used to call goths). it had a good 'alternative' (for want of a better word) shop underneath called Xtremes selling all the 'goth wear' and jewellery, and a hairdressers- im not sure but i think it was pete burns that used to work there- i remember seeing hair extensions for the first time there...all blues and purples!
if you want to speak with someone about that time go onto myspace and look up pete wylie- in my humble opinion i think hes the best thing to come out of that scene, and hes one hell of a friendly fella and im sure if your nice he'll answer all your questions.........

are you writing a book or something btw? you ask for a lot of info...!!

Erics club was flattened and built on many years ago- the nearest you will get to it is by standing next to the john lennon statue on matthew street...thats pretty much where the entrance was. as far as i know theres no indication it ever exsisted...however next to the statue theres a huge wall commemorating (sp? sorry!) just about every semi famous person ever vaguely connected to the city....doesnt make sence, does it, when many of the peple named on that wall may never have made it if it wasnt for the Erics scene.
unfortunately i never got to go there, just a few years too young, but i agree its a place of huge historic importance.
As for the record store, do you mean Probe? This was just about the best place for finding anything that wasnt quite mainstream. A great place to hang out...me and my mates used to go down every weekend just to look at 'the freaks' (by this time its was mostly what us young scalls used to call goths). it had a good 'alternative' (for want of a better word) shop underneath called Xtremes selling all the 'goth wear' and jewellery, and a hairdressers- im not sure but i think it was pete burns that used to work there- i remember seeing hair extensions for the first time there...all blues and purples!
if you want to speak with someone about that time go onto myspace and look up pete wylie- in my humble opinion i think hes the best thing to come out of that scene, and hes one hell of a friendly fella and im sure if your nice he'll answer all your questions.........

are you writing a book or something btw? you ask for a lot of info...!!

Hey,
Thanks alot for that info. Ok then, if you're saying the entrance was right near that Wall of Bands & The John Lennon Statue then, I was there. Ha. I went into the Cavern Club (obviously not original as we all know, lol) and then, went across the way to that area. I got a couple of photos there on that road. What a coincidence!

As for the record shop, YES! That's it! I coudn't remember what my mate told me last night. He said it had about everything obscure too. He listed some bands he still likes today that he got vinyl from in that shop. What a coincidence, again.

Ok, as for Eric's scene too, I'd given my eye-teeth out to you now if I could've lived there that time period and to been going there. Trust me, I would not have fitted in but, that's the beauty of it. You could do you own thing, be your own person w/ your own style and still, people thought you were cool.

Thanks for the link to Mr. Wylie. He's mentioned in the book, Turquoise Days, about the Bunnymen.

Finally, NO I'm not writing a book. Ha. I just like asking questions about my favorite city on Earth. Sorry. :)

Here's some other links to this place if you're interested:

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/mol/exhibitions/erics/

http://www.geocities.com/dfmsp/ericsclub.html

http://www.geocities.com/totally_red_dwarf/CCicnetwork.html

http://www.lwtua.free-online.co.uk/shadowplay/joyd_places.html

(scroll down: here's what it says: Eric's, Mathew Street, Liverpool L2
Close to the site of the legendary Cavern, Eric's club was the scene of Warsaw's first gig with Steve Morris on drums, and of several other performances in the band's early career. Eric's usually had a Saturday matinee at 5pm for those under 18, followed by the evening performance. The club closed in 1980. )

Finally, NO I'm not writing a book. Ha. I just like asking questions about my favorite city on Earth. Sorry. :)

hey no apologies needed, its MY favourite city on earth too!!

ah so you were there and you didnt even know it :( (at least you can say youve been!!)

im sorry i didnt realise you were not british!!- theres loads of programmes on tv about this stuff which i guess you dont get to see.

Virtually every 'new wave/alternative/punkish/scally' band from the early/mid eighties has links to erics- as you know from all that info you have there, and all knew each other...even andy mcclusky from omd was on the scene, along with frankie goes to hollywood, julian cope, bill drummond from the klf, ian broudie, the great pete wylie, the mighty ian mac, the less great pete burns, and apparently (legend has it) courtney love was a face at erics (or a groupie?) during her time in england.
One of my mates is a few years older than me reckons he went- but i reckon hes a gobshite!!

i dont know if you're a reader- i read Holly Johnson book 'a bone in my flute' in which he talks about erics quite a bit. its quite interesting but remember its his point of view which is mostly very very bitchy!! but i think you'd like it!

As for the capital of culture- sure its a great accolade for the city, and its going to attract a lot (even more!) tourists and hopefully generate a lot of money for the city but for now it sort of hard to appreciate- all it means are ENDLESS roadworks- every road in the city is up just now- everytime you turn around there more springing up making it impossible to get anywhere, a rise in council tax, yet again, and an unbearable rise in house prices (which is great if youve got a house but its impossible to buy at the moment. but where theres swings theres roundabouts eh?
you probably wont recognise the place where you return, its undergone HUGE regeneration, theres new business and bars and shops opening all the time and its staring to feel like a really cool 'european' city again!!
Its always nice to hear someone be enthusiatic about the place when usually all it gets it critism :) :)

Liverpool has some of the friendliest, most down-to-earth people I have ever met :D

hey no apologies needed, its MY favourite city on earth too!!

ah so you were there and you didnt even know it :( (at least you can say youve been!!)

im sorry i didnt realise you were not british!!- theres loads of programmes on tv about this stuff which i guess you dont get to see.

Virtually every 'new wave/alternative/punkish/scally' band from the early/mid eighties has links to erics- as you know from all that info you have there, and all knew each other...even andy mcclusky from omd was on the scene, along with frankie goes to hollywood, julian cope, bill drummond from the klf, ian broudie, the great pete wylie, the mighty ian mac, the less great pete burns, and apparently (legend has it) courtney love was a face at erics (or a groupie?) during her time in england.
One of my mates is a few years older than me reckons he went- but i reckon hes a gobshite!!

i dont know if you're a reader- i read Holly Johnson book 'a bone in my flute' in which he talks about erics quite a bit. its quite interesting but remember its his point of view which is mostly very very bitchy!! but i think you'd like it!

As for the capital of culture- sure its a great accolade for the city, and its going to attract a lot (even more!) tourists and hopefully generate a lot of money for the city but for now it sort of hard to appreciate- all it means are ENDLESS roadworks- every road in the city is up just now- everytime you turn around there more springing up making it impossible to get anywhere, a rise in council tax, yet again, and an unbearable rise in house prices (which is great if youve got a house but its impossible to buy at the moment. but where theres swings theres roundabouts eh?
you probably wont recognise the place where you return, its undergone HUGE regeneration, theres new business and bars and shops opening all the time and its staring to feel like a really cool 'european' city again!!
Its always nice to hear someone be enthusiatic about the place when usually all it gets it critism :) :)

Hey,

Thank you so much again for your info. It's a pleasure to talk to someone that has a slight interest too. It's just nice too, to have a new friend to share some innermost feelings I have. Sure, I get emotional about this but, not too pent up. I am just overwhelmed w/ happiness there.

Just last night, I watched a DVD given to me by a close friend. He had recorded from MTV's 120 minutes and Cult Classic (I'm not quite exactly sure which show that was from though) videos done by The Bunnymen and The Church. Talk about Retro! I'm still in (and always will be in ) love w/ the Bunnymen. That's another reason for my love for Liverpool.

By the way, my name's elizabeth, nice to meet you. If you have myspace, add me if you'd like.

Anyway, you asked if I was a reader, well, sure I am. :) I am actually reading right at the moment, Liverpool Wonderous Place: Music from the Cavern to Cream and the book Liverpool 800. They are both pretty excellent so far, in my eyes. Do you have any other recommendations?

Speaking of the fine city, this is my 3rd time back since 2005. I am in the process too, of preparing and saving vacation time from my job to return again next year b/c I really want to go to some of the festivities for the Capital of Culture award. I just think that would be brilliant and what a time to celebrate.

Speaking of celebrations too, Liverpool is actually 800 years old this August and I'm glad I can come back to be there, even though I'm returning in November.

Well, not to sound a bit forward but, if you're interested, PM me and maybe we can make plans to meet, if you'd like. I'm currently meeting a couple of other people when I'm there too. Just a thought.

As I said before about Eric's and Probe Records, I just know from my one friend who used to go there that it was quite an experience and I wish I could've been there.

It's just weird and yet funny how I feel when I'm in the city. It's like I feel a level of homey-ness, comfort that I feel only when I go home to my city I'm from here in America. I remember just walking around LPL alone, photographing literally everything I seen and just feeling so comfortable. I love this beautiful city and will always.

So, keep in touch if you'd like and like I asked, maybe we can meet-up or something. What's your real name, too?

Cheers, e.

Back
Top Bottom