Question for Collectors

sweetness522

My one true love
Can some collectors on here help me out with their opinion. I am not a serious collector but I like my stuff to be in near perfect condition.

After 4 attempts for Amazon to send me a product that wasn't damaged, I just gave up. It's the 7" Satellite of Love disk. It was placed in a package about 5 times the size of the item and kept sliding around so the vinyl broke through the plastic cover. After several letters to Amazon saying that their packaging was faulty, guess what they did 3 more times, they put it in the exact same (faulty) packaging!! :mad: But the good thing is that they didn't charge me for all of these headaches. My question is this - does it matter for collectors that the plastic sleeve has a small hole in the bottom where the record is bulging through? It's about 1". I may just go ahead and order another.

This is one of those perspective questions, one man will look at a small crease or seam split as par for the cause, to another the end of the world. I know exactly what you mean though it's very frustrating, and you would imagine simple to avoid when packing vinyl. Some are worse than others, I bought the rhino smiths vinyl plus reissues a few years ago the inserts where made of the thinnest nastiest paper you've ever seen all of which had an inch long slit on two edges? one split even came through the outer, I complained to rhino no reply, if you're going to make reissue records advertise 180gm vinyl as a superior product how much can it cost to decent quality paper stock instead of tat? Rhino well known for it apparently it's toe shooting of the worst order.
First thing i do is open record and put vinyl in a separate paper sleeve and the lot go individually into heavy pvc sleeve, not inside each other, but by then the damage is sometimes already done.

Can some collectors on here help me out with their opinion. I am not a serious collector but I like my stuff to be in near perfect condition.

After 4 attempts for Amazon to send me a product that wasn't damaged, I just gave up. It's the 7" Satellite of Love disk. It was placed in a package about 5 times the size of the item and kept sliding around so the vinyl broke through the plastic cover. After several letters to Amazon saying that their packaging was faulty, guess what they did 3 more times, they put it in the exact same (faulty) packaging!! :mad: But the good thing is that they didn't charge me for all of these headaches. My question is this - does it matter for collectors that the plastic sleeve has a small hole in the bottom where the record is bulging through? It's about 1". I may just go ahead and order another.
Yeah seam splits are a collectors nightmare, ringwear on sleeves too, bumped corners etc, a near to mint sleeve as possible is paramount IMO, but I'm talking about preowned records. If you've just bought satellite 7" and it's new then it should be delivered to u in flawless condition, it's then your job to maintain it, It shouldn't arrive with seam splits no matter how small.

Is this plastic sleeve generic in any way? I haven't seen the Satellite of Love packaging. I looked one up on Amazon and it appeared to have a sticker that sealed the flap on the back, so that could be an issue. But if not -- again my opinion -- a generic sleeve, or even a custom plastic sleeve with subtle, intricate little idiosyncrasies, is unlikely to divert a collector. I rarely see collectors nitpick on things like inner sleeves or generic outers that otherwise don't have signature markings. But like billy points out, it can depend on the buyer.

Yeah seam splits are a collectors nightmare, ringwear on sleeves too, bumped corners etc, a near to mint sleeve as possible is paramount IMO, but I'm talking about preowned records. If you've just bought satellite 7" and it's new then it should be delivered to u in flawless condition, it's then your job to maintain it, It shouldn't arrive with seam splits no matter how small.

Agreed. They owe you whatever it takes to interrupt their streamlined, automated process and get it right. And if they lose $1000 on 100 Satellite of Love records, then maybe that's what it will take to benefit others, and you, in the end.

Last edited:
I just looked at it again and found another 1" split. It's a generic plastic sleeve with a printed label at the top (that also came completely split the first attempt).
Even when I begged Amazon to package it differently, they did not change the packaging. I guess a loss of $14 or whatever they refunded me was easier and cheaper than changing the packaging. For a 7" record the package must have been a foot and a half long at least. It was insane.

Amazon.com seriously needs to learn of a new and more reliable way to ship their vinyl. More often than not, when I purchase a vinyl album from them, at least one of the corners of the album cover will be horribly bent. This damage pisses me off and is making me look for other online stores in which to buy my records.

What was that? Collector friendly market/delivery?

Ideal Copy was an independent online music retailer based in Tucson that sadly shut down in 2012. They had the best selection, and yes, very very collector-friendly. Good people, good taste, great curation (for lack of a better word), top-notch customer service.

Back
Top Bottom