Question about "You Know I Couldn't Last."

• Thread starter Kickboxer's Front Disco
  • Start date
K

Kickboxer's Front Disco

Great song,

But I have issues with the whole thing. It reminds me of the song on "Strange Ways" where he talks about "At the record company meeting, on our hands a dead star..."

He goes on about "re-issue, repackage, repackage" and in "You know I couldn't last" it's, "CD's and T-shirts and God knows..."

I always took it as if he was saying, "The record industry is horrible and about nothing more than money." However, it seems to me that YATQ is the MOST Repackaged, Rereleased, Resold, Recycled CD I have EVER SEEN!

If you weren't a fan of his, you might even think that he's released a few CD's in the past year, because there are so many of them. He's released a single for just about every song on YATQ. Then there's the original version that came with a CD. The version that didn't come with the CD. The Delux YATQ edition. There's even a DVD version of First of the Gang to Die and a sepeartely sold CD of First of the gang to die.

I can only assume that Morrissey benefits financially from all of this. So, why the hell is he complaining (if he's even complaining at all)?

well fom what i can gather, this is not a criticism of the record industry releasings stiuff whilst people are alive. but what happens once people are dead, i.e. when stars die record companies always release a best of to cash in on this - thats my interpretaion of paint a vulgar picture anyway

> Great song,

> But I have issues with the whole thing. It reminds me of the song on
> "Strange Ways" where he talks about "At the record company
> meeting, on our hands a dead star..."

> He goes on about "re-issue, repackage, repackage" and in
> "You know I couldn't last" it's, "CD's and T-shirts and God
> knows..."

> I always took it as if he was saying, "The record industry is
> horrible and about nothing more than money." However, it seems to me
> that YATQ is the MOST Repackaged, Rereleased, Resold, Recycled CD I have
> EVER SEEN!

> If you weren't a fan of his, you might even think that he's released a few
> CD's in the past year, because there are so many of them. He's released a
> single for just about every song on YATQ. Then there's the original
> version that came with a CD. The version that didn't come with the CD. The
> Delux YATQ edition. There's even a DVD version of First of the Gang to Die
> and a sepeartely sold CD of First of the gang to die.

> I can only assume that Morrissey benefits financially from all of this.
> So, why the hell is he complaining (if he's even complaining at all)?

Back
Top Bottom