Question about versions of 'Sunny'

ordinaryboy

am i really so strange?
Hi all

As mentioned in my thread about Striptease with a Difference, I downloaded the ZIP file that I linked to in that thread. Due to having no other version of 'Sunny', I wasn't sure if it was a demo or not 'cause the other tracks that had all been released were demoes. I listened to the video on YouTube and couldn't discern any differences but the running times given on Passions lead me to believe it is a demo. Can anyone help me out? I'd be eternally grateful for an answer to this rather obscure question. Ta muchly.

I don't have it with me now to check, but I'm almost 100% sure there is an unreleased version of Sunny on a 5 track demo set called Rush to Danger. I think the other tracks on there are Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself, Interlude, Billy Budd & Spring-Heeled Jim.

Those were most of the other tunes in the ZIP file, all different to the album releases. I'm so sure there wasn't a single note out of place from the YouTube video of Sunny though! But 'cause I don't have an album release of Sunny, I can't be sure :(

Hi all

As mentioned in my thread about Striptease with a Difference, I downloaded the ZIP file that I linked to in that thread. Due to having no other version of 'Sunny', I wasn't sure if it was a demo or not 'cause the other tracks that had all been released were demoes. I listened to the video on YouTube and couldn't discern any differences but the running times given on Passions lead me to believe it is a demo. Can anyone help me out? I'd be eternally grateful for an answer to this rather obscure question. Ta muchly.

i asked myself exactly the same question when i downloaded the zip file saturday night.
sure, all the other songs are completely different from the album versions, but i can't hear any dfference to the studio version of sunny :confused:

Cheers for the info guys. The weird thing is that although Passions gives the running time of this supposed studio outtake as 2:41 as opposed to the single/compilation album version as 2:44, the music of both the track on the ZIP file and the YouTube video ends at 2:39, and then there's two more seconds of silence on the song from the ZIP file. I think I'm just gonna label its album in my iTunes as Suedehead: the Best of. Ta again!

Cheers for the info guys. The weird thing is that although Passions gives the running time of this supposed studio outtake as 2:41 as opposed to the single/compilation album version as 2:44, the music of both the track on the ZIP file and the YouTube video ends at 2:39. I think I'm just gonna label its album in my iTunes as Suedehead: the Best of. Ta again!

That's not too weird; song durations can often vary by a few seconds depending on how the CD/record/whatever is mastered. Some of those times include some or all of the silence before or after the track.

That's not too weird; song durations can often vary by a few seconds depending on how the CD/record/whatever is mastered. Some of those times include some or all of the silence before or after the track.

Yeah, I suppose. I guess it's just the way that Passions claims there's two different versions with different running times, and then the music actually ends at the same time.

The song lengths given on "Passions Just Like Mine" are usually the cd track lengths, so they may include a few seconds of silence at the end.

I *never* assume a song is different just because the length vary by a few seconds.

I also can't find much difference between that version of Sunny and the released one, but I still marked it as 'studio outtake' because some people say they do. Because Morrissey wasn't with EMI anymore when the song was released, it is very possible they just used the song 'as is'. They likely wouldn't have paid to 'finish' it.

Stephane

The song lengths given on "Passions Just Like Mine" are usually the cd track lengths, so they may include a few seconds of silence at the end.

I *never* assume a song is different just because the length vary by a few seconds.

Agreed.

I also can't find much difference between that version of Sunny and the released one, but I still marked it as 'studio outtake' because some people say they do. Because Morrissey wasn't with EMI anymore when the song was released, it is very possible they just used the song 'as is'. They likely wouldn't have paid to 'finish' it.

Also agreed. I'm listening to both back-to-back right now, and I can't tell the difference. Maybe the mixes are a bit different, but the low quality of the demo version muddles them.

Back
Top Bottom