Question about thread removal

Mike Rourke

So you don't think his latest diatribe has anything wrong in it that would put more people off then? I think you may need to rethink that. He rekindled the whole far right debate by just mentioning that he wasn't far right together with the , putting it politely, inaccuracies regarding Miley, and his outright lie that he has never been political, all completely unwise from a PR perspective.

"relatively successful UK tour" that is a matter of perspective.

You also think he hasn't said anything bad since 2018? You may need to take a closer look at all the posts on his official website since 2018. Posting of Infowars videos, describing diversity as a "dumbing down", the list goes on.....

If you think his fanbase will recover then I think you may be the one exaggerating how good things are.

He has no record label that will go near him, he has lost his management company and has no PR representative and is unable to release an album.

October to March is 5 months apart. That shouldn't be a problem for Morrissey to shift 5000 tickets from a UK population of 68 million. Standing tickets always used to sell out within minutes but there are plenty still available after 6 days.

Your "most but not all of which were sold" point is valid point but not really quantitive. He didn't sell them out and there were whole sections of the Royal Albert Hall that weren't even put on sale. That was only in October and 2 years since any previous London dates. That too should have easily sold out.

I don't think I am exaggerating anything. Just stating the facts. It all depends on the colour of your glasses I guess.
Nope, no-one will really have given a shit about the latest diatribe. It was a) pretty weak and b) not picked up on by the main media outlets.
The mass fan desertion happened when Morrissey said stupid stuff (about Farage, For Britain, Tommy Robinson etc) or wore the For Britain badge, and his comments/actions made it to the main page of the BBC News website, and often on other mass media outlets too. It happened about 5 or 6 times between 2017 and 2019.
But there hasn't been anything of any similar magnitude since 2019 (yes, you're right, not 2018) to damage his reputation. No-one in the real world gives a shit about the Infowars/YouTube stuff or whatever gets posted on Central, unless it comes with a Morrissey quote which it virtually never does.
The UK population size is a bit irrelevant. It's the change in his fanbase that's the issue, and he did indeed lose shedloads of fans in the 2017-2019 period. Things have calmed down in the last couple of years though, and he is certainly in no worse a place now than he has been since 2020. No more idiotic comments and a decision by at least some stations to play his new stuff again, and he could regain a fair chunk of followers (and gain new ones with a radio hit). But it remains to be seen whether that will happen. By the way, I think he was at Brixton Academy in the recent London show, not the Albert Hall.

EDIT - no I don't think the fanbase will ever recover to pre 2017/2018 levels, but it may well recover a little as long as a) he doesn't start voicing support/sympathy for toxic political twats, and b) some major radio stations e.g. Radio 2, start playing his new songs again. But neither of these is a given.

____

Hi - above is my response to an anonymous thread.
His/her post is about the upcoming London concert, and how the sales are really worrying and that Morrissey is in serious trouble.
I've responded to say that this isn't the case. The sales are OK and Morrissey is doing well enough at the moment - certainly no worse than at any point since 2020.
I've explained that the recent Morrissey post about Miley Cyrus cancellation and the far-right probably won't affect his standing - anonymous seemed to think it would do more damage to him.
My comments are relevant to the thread and address the concerns of the specific anonymous poster.
Can the moderator who moved it please explain why it was deemed off topic, when it was all about ticket sales and the upcoming tour that the thread is named after?
Thanks.

Nope, no-one will really have given a shit about the latest diatribe. It was a) pretty weak and b) not picked up on by the main media outlets.
The mass fan desertion happened when Morrissey said stupid stuff (about Farage, For Britain, Tommy Robinson etc) or wore the For Britain badge, and his comments/actions made it to the main page of the BBC News website, and often on other mass media outlets too. It happened about 5 or 6 times between 2017 and 2019.
But there hasn't been anything of any similar magnitude since 2019 (yes, you're right, not 2018) to damage his reputation. No-one in the real world gives a shit about the Infowars/YouTube stuff or whatever gets posted on Central, unless it comes with a Morrissey quote which it virtually never does.
The UK population size is a bit irrelevant. It's the change in his fanbase that's the issue, and he did indeed lose shedloads of fans in the 2017-2019 period. Things have calmed down in the last couple of years though, and he is certainly in no worse a place now than he has been since 2020. No more idiotic comments and a decision by at least some stations to play his new stuff again, and he could regain a fair chunk of followers (and gain new ones with a radio hit). But it remains to be seen whether that will happen. By the way, I think he was at Brixton Academy in the recent London show, not the Albert Hall.

EDIT - no I don't think the fanbase will ever recover to pre 2017/2018 levels, but it may well recover a little as long as a) he doesn't start voicing support/sympathy for toxic political twats, and b) some major radio stations e.g. Radio 2, start playing his new songs again. But neither of these is a given.

____

Hi - above is my response to an anonymous thread.
His/her post is about the upcoming London concert, and how the sales are really worrying and that Morrissey is in serious trouble.
I've responded to say that this isn't the case. The sales are OK and Morrissey is doing well enough at the moment - certainly no worse than at any point since 2020.
I've explained that the recent Morrissey post about Miley Cyrus cancellation and the far-right probably won't affect his standing - anonymous seemed to think it would do more damage to him.
My comments are relevant to the thread and address the concerns of the specific anonymous poster.
Can the moderator who moved it please explain why it was deemed off topic, when it was all about ticket sales and the upcoming tour that the thread is named after?
Thanks.
you will be lucky,unless your skinny who can say what he wants and never gets moved you will just have to accept it,dont know who brought this shit in.

Back
Top Bottom