Question about members on 'ignore'

gretchenraine

Oh, Squishy!!
Do the administrators keep track of which members are placed on ignore by other members?

If someone posted something that triggered a great number of members to put that person on ignore, I was curious if the moderators would be alerted to that somehow. It seems like this would be insightful for the moderators and perhaps helpful in questions of whether or not to hand out a warning or whatnot.

Nothing specifically happened today, I'm just toying with the idea of putting someone on ignore (one of about 5 or 6 people driving the Forums away from the amazing place they could/should be) and the question occured to me. That's all.

Unfortunately vBulletin software is unable to block ignored users' quotes.

Moderators are given limited access to software control panels which does not have the function you asked.

vBulletin will be upgraded later this year, hopefully the upgrade may solve the problem.

Now I'm curious about what's got you riled up. I have so many threads on ignore that I have no idea what kind of assholery is going on these days.

Last edited:
Thanks, Kewpie. :) That did answer my question.

Scarlet - you know....same old, same old. A thread starts with an innocent enough premise and then goes to hell quickly, almost always by the words of the same handful of people. I think you mentioned to me last week something about how it's hard to feel safe here and that started me thinking. And when I came in today and saw the same old crap taking place it made me wonder if other-members-unhappiness-with-other-members via the 'ignore' function was tracked. It seems like there should be a creative way to have a more productive and positive forum without taking away the freedom of speech of those who actually have something meaningful to say (outside of Pigsty, obvs).

Maybe post counts could someday not include Pigsty posts. That would be eye-opening! I'd love to see what some of these goons' counts would be without it.

*nod*

... You realize it's only a matter of time for this very thread, right?

*waits*

Do the administrators keep track of which members are placed on ignore by other members?

If someone posted something that triggered a great number of members to put that person on ignore, I was curious if the moderators would be alerted to that somehow. It seems like this would be insightful for the moderators and perhaps helpful in questions of whether or not to hand out a warning or whatnot.

Nothing specifically happened today, I'm just toying with the idea of putting someone on ignore (one of about 5 or 6 people driving the Forums away from the amazing place they could/should be) and the question occured to me. That's all.

I think I get at what you are saying, but we can't have Mods handing out warnings to people just because X amount of people have them on ignore. I have 4 or 5 people on ignore, none of them have been abusive or agressive to me, they are just boring c**ts, some of whom offer nothing to this site.

That is the real issue here..... there are members here who ''are known trolls'' (I think is the term used) who offer nothing positive to the forums but are clever enough not to break the sacred TOS.
To me, this should be seen as a private club..... where anyone can freely join but should also be able to be banned at any moment if they are clearly adding nothing positive to the forums. Breaking TOS isn't enough for these professional aggitators.
by positive I dont mean nothing negative can be written about Morrissey, I mean posters who clearly only come here for negative reasons.
Everyone knows who most of them are but nobody appears to want to do anything about it.

Jukebox Jury

Last edited by a moderator:

i think what you really mean to ask is, "can we please be allowed to vote to ban people if we don't like them?"

you mentioned to me last week something about how it's hard to feel safe here

didn't you suggest that the other poster try to be less melodramatic about an internet message board?

taking away the freedom of speech of ...

please, just stop

I think I get at what you are saying, but we can't have Mods handing out warnings to people just because X amount of people have them on ignore. I have 4 or 5 people on ignore, none of them have been abusive or agressive to me, they are just boring c**ts, some of whom offer nothing to this site.

That is the real issue here..... there are members here who ''are known trolls'' (I think is the term used) who offer nothing positive to the forums but are clever enough not to break the sacred TOS.
To me, this should be seen as a private club..... where anyone can freely join but should also be able to be banned at any moment if they are clearly adding nothing positive to the forums. Breaking TOS isn't enough for these professional aggitators.
by positive I dont mean nothing negative can be written about Morrissey, I mean posters who clearly only come here for negative reasons.
Everyone knows who most of them are but nobody appears to want to do anything about it.

Jukebox Jury

Yes! :) What you're saying is very much like what I was thinking. I didn't mean that people put on ignore would be automatically punished - I don't know, maybe put on the sticky 'watch' list?

Oh, and the video --- :lbf: Perfect!

Last edited by a moderator:
i think what you really mean to ask is, "can we please be allowed to vote to ban people if we don't like them?"

didn't you suggest that the other poster try to be less melodramatic about an internet message board?

please, just stop

And they come like moths to a flame.....*put on ignore.*

Yep. Some people just are unable to not be assholes.

I find that mentioning the name of Scarlet, myself or a few others is a sure way to start a shitstorm. Might not be a bad idea to avoid mentioning our names. As silly and unnecessary as that sounds... Oh, and also any mention of civility also seems to drive those "people" crazy for some reason. It's like vampires and garlic...

This'll never happen, but I'd love it if the Pigsty could be segregated from the rest of the site, e.g. you can decide to post in the Pigsty, OR everywhere else, but not both. Silly, and extreme, but also effective, and without limiting freedom of speech. :D

Last edited:

gretchenraine
Yes, the poster you have quoted is exactly the type of pleb I was talking about and he / she was the first of the plebs to be on my ignore.
Serves absolutely no purpose being here and is a waste of cyber space:rolleyes:

Jukebox Jury

that sounds like a personal attack.

any mention of civility also seems to drive those "people" crazy for some reason.

you ought to try to be more civil ... and more consistent.

I find that mentioning the name of Scarlet, myself or a few others is a sure way to start a shitstorm.

it's a bad a idea, regardless of whether you or your silly, pathetic girly of a wife have an opinion on it.

... freedom of speech. :D

oh gosh.

*put on ignore.*

well, it's easier than justifying your opinion, isn't it?

gretchenraine
Yes, the poster you have quoted is exactly the type of pleb I was talking about and he / she was the first of the plebs to be on my ignore.
Serves absolutely no purpose being here and is a waste of cyber space:rolleyes:

Jukebox Jury

oh philll, you keep repeating again and again and again that you have me 'on ignore'. putting people 'on ignore', here, suggests only that you're unable to stand over your own opinions; it's not really something to be proud of.

I find that mentioning the name of Scarlet, myself or a few others is a sure way to start a shitstorm. Might not be a bad idea to avoid mentioning our names. As silly and unnecessary as that sounds... Oh, and also any mention of civility also seems to drive those "people" crazy for some reason. It's like vampires and garlic...

This'll never happen, but I'd love it if the Pigsty could be segregated from the rest of the site, e.g. you can decide to post in the Pigsty, OR everywhere else, but not both. Silly, and extreme, but also effective, and without limiting freedom of speech. :D

You're in there talking about people's mothers and making up lies about me sending you a private message. Then you still want to pretend to be bothered by the horrible pigsty?
Does anyone still think you are some victim in this?

well, it's easier than justifying your opinion, isn't it? putting people 'on ignore', here, suggests only that you're unable to stand over your own opinions; it's not really something to be proud of.

it's a bad a idea, regardless of whether you or your silly, pathetic girly of a wife have an opinion on it.

Your problem is that you mistake the last sentence as being a legitimate opinion worth expressing. Maybe so many people wouldn't have you on their ignore list if you were able to express your opinions on their own without frequently resorting to hostile ad hominem attacks... and were able to tell the difference between attacks and opinion. Ad hominem attacks are a logical fallacy, using the Ignore button isn't. Nobody likes receiving hostility, except trolls and assholes.

Not sure why what other people do or don't do with the Ignore button or anything else causes you such anger. But resorting to attacks to support your position just makes your opinion seem that much weaker, and less appealing. You should really learn to MYOB.

107onrp.jpg

HEY! What would be great is if there was something like that you could see when a person has you on ignore! You would be unable to read their posts and would just see a saucy otter.

You're in there talking about people's mothers and making up lies about me sending you a private message. Then you still want to pretend to be bothered by the horrible pigsty?
Does anyone still think you are some victim in this?

Dave, you've shown me you aren't worthy of civility. You have to give it to get it, and you sure haven't shown me any. I tried that approach with you, and see where it got me. You taught me that civility is unnecessary when you post in the Pigsty. I'm plenty civil to everyone else but you and your Pigsty friends (who I suspect are the same people Gretchen is talking about). Don't like it? Then take the advice below.

f*** off? thanks.

Last edited:
Your problem is that you mistake the last sentence as being a legitimate opinion worth expressing. Maybe so many people wouldn't have you on their ignore list if you were able to express your opinions on their own without frequently resorting to hostile ad hominem attacks... and were able to tell the difference between attacks and opinion. Ad hominem attacks are a logical fallacy, using the Ignore button isn't. Nobody likes receiving hostility, except trolls and assholes.

Not sure why what other people do or don't do with the Ignore button or anything else causes you such anger. But resorting to attacks to support your position just makes your opinion seem that much weaker, and less appealing. You should really learn to MYOB.

Take your own advice. Most people that now dislike you and your wife never had a problem with her until you started posting on every thread telling people how to behave. Resorting to attacks? Like when you lie that I sent you a sick private message? That sort of thing?

Dave, you've shown me you aren't worthy of civility. You have to give it to get it, and you sure haven't shown me any. I tried that approach with you, and see where it got me. You taught me that civility is unnecessary when you post in the Pigsty. I'm plenty civil to everyone else but you and your Pigsty friends (who I suspect are the same people Gretchen is talking about). Don't like it? Then take the advice below.

I don't care about civility. You're a liar. That has nothing to do with pretending to be nice.

Back
Top Bottom