Question about Jarvis Cocker of Pulp (and has anyone met him?)

Space Cadet

Just curious if anyone here has ever met him or know anyone who has or worked with him. And if he is as down to earth and cool as he seems.

Anyone a Pulp fan, too? What's your favorite track?

love pulp!

favourite songs:
glory days (my theme song)
razzmatazz
acrylic afternoons
lyndhurst grove
like a friend

and so many others! i feel like it's perhaps a bit young for me now though.

never met jarvis (goodness, how would i have when all i do is sit around and do crosswords?). he does seem like a cool guy, but perhaps not really my kind of guy, even if i do like his music, and thus wouldnt really care if i met him or not.

Hi rifke!

Thanks for the reply :)

All fab songs! Acrylic Afternoons is prob my #1. Followed by Razzmatazz.
FEELINGCALLEDLOVE and Do You Remember the First Time are classics as well.

And of course Common People. Live it's 10times even better. Ever see them live?

I am from Sheffield and in the late '80s/early 90s Pulp were the band who always seemed to be playing in the corner of a pub on Saturday night to not much attention...then they became massive.
I have friends who know Jarvis and they say he is a very decent person who always seems more interested in other people than himself.
My only encounter with him was when he came up to a friend of mine in a bar and gave her a magnifying glass and said "That's to help you see things more clearly". Then he walked off. Strange but true.
I can appreciate their music more now and This is Hardcore is their best album I reckon.

I love Jarvis and met him several times.
Once I was queuing for tickets of White Stripes secret gig in Covent Garden Rough Trade shop, unexpectedly Jarvis turned up to get some vinyls.

One of my French friends told me that she met a woman who worked for Geoff Travis.
Geoff was the manager of Pulp at that time.
She was rather annoyed with Jarvis because he asked her to get rare sunglasses from the original manufacturer.
Maybe it was one of his pop star demands in late 90s.

You should listen to his radio show on BBC 6 Music.
This week he will travel back to 1989 which is also one of the most memorable years in my life.

I love Jarvis and met him several times.
Once I was queuing for tickets of White Stripes secret gig in Covent Garden Rough Trade shop, unexpectedly Jarvis turned up to get some vinyls.

One of my French friends told me that she met a woman who worked for Geoff Travis.
Geoff was the manager of Pulp at that time.
She was rather annoyed with Jarvis because he asked her to get rare sunglasses from the original manufacturer.
Maybe it was one of his pop star demands in late 90s.

You should listen to his radio show on BBC 6 Music.
This week he will travel back to 1989 which is also one of the most memorable years in my life.

Weird lol was he being difficult about the glasses or something? Might've been while he was with Chloe Sevigny...and might've been for her. She seems ...wacky. lol.

Yes..I have heard his radio show. It's excellent. Very perfect person for the role. Voice and mind. Genius.

Butley: that's a neat story actually lol! The magnifying glass. Almost seems like it'd be like a scene in a Pulp song. Very Jarvis. :p

How do your friends know him? If you don't mind my asking.

Butley: that's a neat story actually lol! The magnifying glass. Almost seems like it'd be like a scene in a Pulp song. Very Jarvis. :p

How do your friends know him? If you don't mind my asking.

They are older than me and all used to hang out at a club called The Limit which was really alternative. It really was a jungle when darkness fell in Northern cities. Anyone perceived as slightly weird or eccentric used to have to walk twice as fast as everybody else to stay safe.
At the height of his fame my friend bumped into him and she said all he wanted to talk about were her driving lessons. I actually grew up two streets away from him though we went to different schools.

They are older than me and all used to hang out at a club called The Limit which was really alternative. It really was a jungle when darkness fell in Northern cities. Anyone perceived as slightly weird or eccentric used to have to walk twice as fast as everybody else to stay safe.
At the height of his fame my friend bumped into him and she said all he wanted to talk about were her driving lessons. I actually grew up two streets away from him though we went to different schools.

That is so cool! But sad about how things were in that area. I've heard stories. :(

You were actually his neighbor? Awesome! More stories please :)

Hi rifke!

Thanks for the reply :)

All fab songs! Acrylic Afternoons is prob my #1. Followed by Razzmatazz.
FEELINGCALLEDLOVE and Do You Remember the First Time are classics as well.

And of course Common People. Live it's 10times even better. Ever see them live?
no, ive never seen them live. i imagine it would be great!
yeah, i love do you remember the first time as well. never really warmed up to feelingcalledlove. maybe if i listened to it more i would've, but it was the one i always skipped over.

no, ive never seen them live. i imagine it would be great!
yeah, i love do you remember the first time as well. never really warmed up to feelingcalledlove. maybe if i listened to it more i would've, but it was the one i always skipped over.

I was the same way til recently. It just grew on me after hearing a live version of it. Very cool live.

Back
Top Bottom