Question about Australian 'Ask' 7"

I don't think it was released without a picture sleeve, although (according to Passions Just Like Mine, so it must be true) for promotional purposes the 7" single was distributed in stock record company sleeve. You could have a promo record, or it could be that somewhere in the past your record has been separated from its sleeve. Given that this release is very collectable because of the sleeve (one of a few Smiths singles with Morrissey on the sleeve), I estimate that a copy of the record without the sleeve would be worth approximately $5

Dave

There are 2 versions of this 7".
The 'lollypop' picture sleeve one and another one that comes in a generic record company sleeve.
I think it is CBS and it's black and white (sorry, I'm not at home to check).
Good buy at $5. :)

IR is right, again from the PJLM link:
""Ask" was first released in Australia in late 1986 on 7" only, without artwork (it was slipped inside a generic record company sleeve) just like the "Panic" single before it. After becoming the second major hit for the Smiths in that country (the first being "This Charming Man"), it was re-released in early 1987 on 7" and 12", with artwork, as a single from "The World Won't Listen" compilation album.

"Ask" was re-released by Warner in 1995 as a single from the "Singles" album. "

I guess you have bought the 1986 release. Not sure what the market is for such items is... $5 for any Smiths release is good value, but I can't imagine it's worth much more.

Dave

Thanks. I picked it up because it was so cheap, then remembered that it's pretty pricey with the special picture sleeve, so wondered whether the pic sleeve had gone missing at some point. I reckon I have the 1986 version (particularly as it says 1986 on the label).

Back
Top Bottom