Queen Elizabeth II has died, Buckingham Palace announces - BBC (September 8, 2022)

Curiously typical of those who leap to the monarchy’s defence, and indicative of what’s occurring in the UK: you’re interest in this extends to identifying Sinclair as the criminal?
And indicative of people like you trying desperately to find anything in the news all day that may justify an anti monarchist stance saying that I suggested Sinclair was a criminal.

In my post where did I slightly suggest he was a criminal?

I have just pointed out the tiresome nonsense on both sides of people staying people should mourn or people shouldn’t mourn.

Do what you feel is right for you and let others make that decision for themselves.

It is a private issue between his employer and him regarding his suspension. Pretty sure no crime has been committed but also pretty sure the queen can’t be blamed for racism since the 60s and nor can the king be blamed for Sinclair being suspended

It’s a ridiculous statement to make. If black and brown people want to mourn surely that is up to them

but for a white man to state they shouldn’t is just stupid.

I don’t think that’s exactly what’s being said.

Kilbane said … ‘People may question the tweet or the timing of it but it’s not just ‘black or brown people’ who share Trevor’s opinion on the monarchy.’

Which can be read as, it’s not only black or brown people that may not choose (as a protest) or feel the need to grieve.

I don’t think that’s exactly what the ‘white man’ is saying.

Kilbane said … ‘People may question the tweet or the timing of it but it’s not just ‘black or brown people’ who share Trevor’s opinion on the monarchy.’

Which can be read as, it’s not only black or brown people that may not choose or feel the need to grieve.
And that is fine. Everyone knows not everyone has an interest in mourning but to state people should or should not mourn is nonsense. People are not stupid, they can make their own mind up

They were playing Bach this morning in my local supermarket, rather than the usual pop music. This 'period of mourning' malarkey really is hard to escape.

They were playing Bach this morning in my local supermarket, rather than the usual pop music. This 'period of mourning' malarkey really is hard to escape.
Do only people mourning listen to Bach? I quite like Bach, JS that is.

Get your point, but I would actually enjoy that.

And that is fine. Everyone knows not everyone has an interest in mourning but to state people should or should not mourn is nonsense. People are not stupid, they can make their own mind up

of course. And I’m sure plenty are enjoying and getting on with life as normal.

Do only people mourning listen to Bach? I quite like Bach, JS that is.
It definitely felt like an attempt to create a somber mood. I don't know if this is a country-wide thing by the big supermarkets? I don't mind a bit of Bach myself. Unless the boss of my local supermarket was marking the passing of Jean-Luc Godard today? We are probably more likely to get a message from Morrissey about that than about Elizabeth Windsor.

It is of course to ‘make you feel your mind isn’t your own’. Nevertheless TfL’s impositions are more draconian still:

I really don't know how California Son is going to get a visa to get into Britain. I remember his stage backdrop a couple years ago being the queen with a black eye. If some icon in Britain like Right Said Fred had a backdrop with a president of the USA with a black eye, there is no way he would get a visa to enter the USA. Why don't Britain people have more pride?

I wish people would understand how the royal money is arranged and stop stating the narrow view re taxpayers.

This is how it works

Back in the 1800s an agreement whereby the king would give to the government all the profits from the Crown Estate (properties and estates owned by the monarch) in return for a grant (now called the Sovereign Grant).

This grant equates to approx 25% of those profits and is approx £80 million.

The annual profits from the crown estate are approx £400 million so the grant is more than covered by the money the government receives from the Crown Estate.

It can be argued that the profits from the estate would be similar if the monarchy kept the profits and then paid tax but that is very difficult to assess. So in a way is coming from tax but without the profits from the Crown Estate, an estate the monarch maintains from the grant, the government wouldn’t be getting that £400 million a year.

This £80 million is for official costs so approx £30 million pays for the upkeep of royals estates, approx £30 million covers the employee costs for the royal office and staff. The rest is distributed amongst all working royals.

The monarch also has a private income which is from the Duchy of Lancaster which she inherited from her father and on those profits she volunteers to pay tax.

The Prince of Wales also has a private income from the privately owned Duchy of Cornwall and again he pays tax on those profits voluntarily.

She was wealthy but her estimated worth including estimates on privately owned estates like Balmoral and Sandringham was recorded as being approx £340 million and Charles’ worth was estimated to be approx £80 million although his worth isn’t easy to estimate.

These are large figures but when you compare it to the wealth of other figures it isn’t massively above on lists.
The duchy voluntarily pays tax at 45%!

Ramp up the sanctimony even higher, Redacted. Keep going. I know you can do it.

Meanwhile, Moz chooses to eulogize a beloved dog instead of the queen.

Correct. He also hasn't made any statements about usage of The Queen Is Dead in the wake of the Queen's death.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom