Queen Elizabeth II has died, Buckingham Palace announces - BBC (September 8, 2022)

MORRISSEY: Well, you know, even a passion to save the planet can start to tire out a bit. I am not fiendish where the House of Windsor is concerned. I resent being ordered to be in awe. I resent the assumption that I must be relentlessly engaged in being in awe of power and money. The House of Windsor represents the strictest social inequality, but I have, I think, expressed my opinion many times, and I don’t feel the need to go on about it, and I wish no ill to anyone. I have been invited to Buckingham Palace three times, did you know? Charles once sent a signed note. If I get a fourth invitation I will go. It seems rude not to! (laughs) I am certain I could persuade Anne that eating horses isn’t a nice thing to do.

Yes, we should be asking why people ‘need’ such things. And work to correct it.
The majority have no interest in doing so and for 77p to £1.20 per person a year the income benefits outweigh the costs so it would be dubious financially to make that change.

The last royal wedding for example brought in to uk companies and with foreign tv rights etc approx 1.4 billion to the uk economy.

Royal warrants etc bring increased income to many companies in the order of billions every year.

This is aside from the tourism they generate.

But the emotional connections it provides millions of people could be considered priceless.

Taking all that away would be pretty dumb and no one would ever go down that route.

There is an element of jealousy for a lot of people. This idea that they see a wealthy family so they don’t like it but the majority don’t feel that jealousy to want to always change it.

I didn't say it. You twisted it that way. From the thread in question:

You continue to argue in bad faith, willfully taking everything I say in the worst way possible.

Well, charity is wasted on the dead. At best, one would want to hold their tongue out of respect in the presence of the deceased's loved ones, but do you seriously think Prince William in his hour of grief is logging into Morrissey-solo and getting upset that people are being critical of the royal family? Who exactly is being offended? I wouldn't get upset if Morrissey died and you came here within the hour to tell us what a rotten racist you think he was. Who would be such a snowflake? Morrissey wouldn't care either. He'd be dead.

You should also (though you won't) scruple to notice that I've tried to limit my criticisms to the institution of the monarchy and the royal family in general, and not deride Queen Elizabeth in particular. The Kardashian comment was made only, as far as Queen Elizabeth is concerned, in respect to her being famous for being famous. I credit her with being much more dignified and well-behaved than her sister or her children or Harry, who are the real Kardashians in this scene. And I also think Elizabeth, in her youth, was much more attractive than any Kardashian. She had a pleasant physiognomy.

160419-queen-elizabeth-ii-08a.jpg

hbz-queen-elizabeth-1947-gettyimages-53261354.jpg
Semantics, so you think by saying you would gas meat eaters if told to by a vegan regime is ok then. Same outcome.

To be dissing the dead hours after they die is never charitable. Are you saying the act of being uncharitable can only be uncharitable if the target of that is listening? The writing of something uncharitable is still uncharitable regardless of whether the target of your commentary is listening or not.

And you still bang on inaccurate shite about the royals. You have no idea what you are talking about. If you were being factually correct I would accept those correct facts but you are not in any way whatsoever.

Maybe you should focus on what worth you bring to the table cause from here it doesn’t seem like much.

Speaking to the BBC after Sir Mick was knighted, Richards joked: “It was a shoddy award. I wouldn’t let that family near me with a sharp stick, let alone a sword.”
Sir Mick’s close friend David Bowie was set to be knighted the same year but turned down the honour, reportedly taking issue with the fact that Sir Mick had not done the same.

Maybe the Queen was a fan of Their Satanic Majesties Request!

A few rock stars have been knighted, including Sir Paul McCartney, Sir Elton John and Sir Mick Jagger – much to the anger of his fellow Rolling Stone, Keith Richards, who felt that Jagger should have declined … like another of Sir Mick’s friends, David Bowie.

Bowie turned down a knighthood in 2003. “I would never have any intention of accepting anything like that,” he said. “I seriously don't know what it's for. It's not what I spent my life working for.”

Also…

While turning down returning an MBE, Lennon spelled out his reasons in a letter to the Queen:

"Your Majesty, I am returning this in protest against Britain's involvement in the Nigeria-Biafra thing, against our support of America in Vietnam and against Cold Turkey slipping down the charts. With Love, John Lennon of Bag."

Johnny Rotten's well wishes to the Queen are hilarious and farcical. I guess he was just another capitalist in the end.

I have nothing personal against the Queen but I did not admire her. No one is born royal or above anyone else. And if I were born into such a family I would turn it down and / or favor abolishment.

At maximum a 'royal family' could have a ceremonial role, but NEVER on the taxpayer dime. That is ridiculous.

It's unlikely Morrissey or Marr will insult the Queen as she is laid to rest, and there's no need, but it's a different thing entirely to hold her up as some pillar of anything other than WASPy privilege. So John Lydon can suck it.

It is true that I don't really understand what Morrissey's position is re: the monarchy. He is antagonistic to the maximum, but on the flip side he embraces some kind of imagined british identity that sounds like something someone in a monarchy would believe. He is ever the contrarian.
I have gone through the taxpayer thing many times now.

They get 80 million from the sovereign grant. 30 of that covers the cost of the maintenance of royal properties which would still have to be paid by the government with or without a monarchy.

Another 30 pays the salaries of the few thousand people they employ.

The remaining gets distributed to all working royals by the monarch.

That doesn’t cover their costs and the rest of the income is from their private income and not the tax payer and they voluntarily pay tax on that income.

In return for that 80 million the monarch gives to the uk government all the profits from the Crown Estate which is usually around £400 million a year.

The income to the uk treasury from the monarchy outweighs what the taxpayer forks out and it equates to between 77p and £1.20 (less than a dollar) per person per year.

That is nothing compared to the amounts of taxpayer money the likes of the Tory government wastes every year on stupid mistakes like failed Ppe deals etc which comes to billions every year not 80 million. That is a drop in the ocean.

i wish they would just skip over charles and make william king. that would be much more inspiring than seeing that old rosacea faced carcass in the role. no one can get excited about charles at this point.

i wish they would just skip over charles and make william king. that would be much more inspiring than seeing that old rosacea faced carcass in the role. no one can get excited about charles at this point.
His popularity right now is high to be honest and skipping over people isn’t really how it works. William is still young so I think allowing that young family to grow a bit before their lives get turned upside down is a wise thing.

It will be interesting to see how one of the worlds most outspoken climate change campaigners will progress when king.

Charles will probably only be there for a decade or so considering his age.

Yeah, it really does seem to play an important role, image. But imagination may play a bigger role. Maybe at his coronation Charles can make an entrance on a unicorn! that might lift the spirit of the masses and win over any doubters in the audience.

odds moz plays TQID on the upcoming tour??
I really don't care about the queen (I think most people who are not British or part of the commonwealth have zero interest in the Queen).

BUT... Damn.... TQID is such a great song!
I don't know if it will EVER be played live again and not because of good manners or because it could be controversial... But because it would not make much sense.

It is just like America is not the World after Obama... It can't be played live. At least not without changing the lyrics.

It would be awkward to play it live.... Mostly because the key point of the song is that the queen is NOT dead.

It's kinda sad. I believe that the live performances of TQID are dead. They do no longer make sense.

I really don't care about the queen (I think most people who are not British or part of the commonwealth have zero interest in the Queen).

I don't know if it will EVER be played live again and not because of good manners or because it could be controversial... But because it would not make much sense.

It is just like America is not the World after Obama... It can't be played live. At least not without changing the lyrics.

It would be awkward to play it live.... Mostly because the key point of the song is that the queen is NOT dead.

It's kinda sad. I believe that the live performances of TQID are dead. They do no longer make sense.
and yet you still refer to her as THE queen. not queen elizabeth II, not the british monarch, but THE queen. because that's what she was. THE queen. and you better believe people care about her. in actual fact, what no one cares about is argentinian peasants.

His popularity right now is high to be honest and skipping over people isn’t really how it works. William is still young so I think allowing that young family to grow a bit before their lives get turned upside down is a wise thing.

It will be interesting to see how one of the worlds most outspoken climate change campaigners will progress when king.

Charles will probably only be there for a decade or so considering his age.

I know many non brits who care more about uk royalty than most uk people I know.

There are people across the globe but particularly Americans who can’t get enough of that stuff.

You must be so disappointed in Morrissey having not yet posted those prophetic words, The Queen Is Dead on his site. I have to say it's not looking hopeful for you ;) Could it be the recent loss of his Mother has given him a new perspective on death?
Eh, Ian Brown you mean? I was quoting The Stone Roses.

We have what you want. And we always will. It’s the American nightmare: to always hanker, however subliminally , however tacitly, after the British “scene”. You put a man on the moon. We didn’t give a f***. We gave you the Beatles, the Pistols, the Smiths. You chased us. But we’re always one step ahead. Always.
The U.S. created popular music, so… that match has been over for a LONG time.

I don’t know if anyone remembers this, but Moz VERY recently put out a statement where he says words to the effect of that he doesn’t like the royal family, but he DOES like the Queen. Anyone remember that or can find it? It was pretty recent, 1-2 years or less
I remember this as well. In fact, I was just thinking about that quote. He said something along the lines of that the Queen was the one royal he could stand.

The U.S. created popular music, so… that match has been over for a LONG time.
yip,agree with that,popular culture started with bill hayley and a few others then ELVIS took it to another level which gave groups like the beatles the inspiration to do it themselves.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom