Queen Elizabeth II has died, Buckingham Palace announces - BBC (September 8, 2022)

It does seem complicated, but there's also this:

It seems like taxpayer funds would be needed to cover those expenses not covered by the Sovereign Grant, so that would be even more money coming from the tax base than the budgeted amount. This suggests that the price, for the taxpayer, of funding the royal family is greater than stated on the tag.

The Queen's funeral and the King's coronation are expected (I'd take these estimates with a pinch of salt, but still, it's going to cost a LOT of money) to cost £6billion to the UK economy. That doesn't cover the costs of changing titles, currencies, signage, uniforms, portraits etc etc. This will cost us billions, all while are going through a major cost of living crisis and are on the brink of recession.

The royal family didn't start paying taxes on their private finances until the 90s. The civil lists were only made public in the 1970s. The queen herself inherited an estate worth £121 million in today's money. The queen alone had a personal fortune of £275 million to £340 million. All of this privelege, just by virtue of birth.

Last edited:
I'd hate to think what Ted would have said when he saw news about the queen.

ted_2_still_4.jpg
im not familiar with Ted, but now i wish i was!!

The Queen's funeral and the King's coronation are expected (I'd take these estimates with a pinch of salt, but still, it's going to cost a LOT of money) to cost £6billion to the UK economy. That doesn't cover the costs of changing titles, currencies, signage, uniforms, portraits etc etc. This will cost us billions, all while are going through a major cost of living crisis and are on the brink of recession.

The royal family didn't start paying taxes on their private finances until the 90s. The civil lists were only made public in the 1970s. The queen herself inherited an estate worth £121 million in today's money. The queen alone had a personal fortune of £275 million to £340 million. All of this privelege, just by virtue of birth.

Doing some research, as Anonymous has kept nagging me to do, I found some information relating to how cost-efficient the monarchy is, even taking into account its tourism revenue. It's dubious whether the royals are generating as much money as is claimed.

The National | Does the monarchy really pay its way?

google is a wonderful thing.

Could be wrong, but I’m thinking their will be some sadness, empathy in M’s comment (if he makes one) though it seems that M’s disdain is more for a constitutional monarchical system and symbolic representations such as the pageantry and their lifestyle that peoples tax’s pay for, etc. rather than any individual person as a human being, unless of course they are game hunters, etc. In someway it may be similar to how Lydon feels …

“I’ve got no animosity against any one of the royal family. Never did. It’s the institution of it that bothers me and the assumption that I’m to pay for that. There’s where I draw the line.”

agree,he lost his mam a short while ago,commenting on a 96 year old womans death would be pointless,and he has been invited to the palace three times and said if they invited him again it would be rude not to go.

All of that was dealt with. Both sides in Ireland had talks and there is now peace. Do you think descendants of people in the uk who put notices up saying no blacks no Irish should be eternally attacked for being linked to those actions too?

It is about forgiveness and the desire to move on. We are all linked and have all benefited from the profits of the slave trade in the uk and other terrible profitable outcomes of colonialism but provided this is acknowledged and that is a work in progress issue then it achieves nothing to constantly attack descendants of people involved in these things.

Same in Germany. There are descendants of Nazis living today. Should they be declaring their responsibility for being linked to that institution?

This ridiculous clinging on to hate because of things that happened a long long time ago does nothing but tear you apart with anger inside. It has no effect on the target or your anger.
No hate here kid, just a desire to have injustice recognised. Generally seen as a good thing, but royalty isn’t disposed to do it. Starts, and ends, with that.

Doing some research, as Anonymous has kept nagging me to do, I found some information relating to how cost-efficient the monarchy is, even taking into account its tourism revenue. It's dubious whether the royals are generating as much money as is claimed.

You seem to have a bit of an obsession with our Monarchy, most people in the UK appear to be happy to have them around, so I suggest you f*** off and focus on your own countries problems.

Last edited:
Smyths handled it all nicely: what an odd night to see them. They’re great by the way.

You seem to have a bit of an obsession with our Monarchy, most people in the UK appear to be happy have them around, so I suggest you f*** off and focus on your own countries problems.

:confused:

It was one of your fellow countrymen who favors the monarchy who told me to do research on the topic. Now you're telling me to f*ck off. Which is it?

agree,he lost his mam a short while ago,commenting on a 96 year old womans death would be pointless,and he has been invited to the palace three times and said if they invited him again it would be rude not to go.
Yessir but/and I hope he doesn't go ape that TQID wasn't reissued this week, prompting the revival of Top Of The Pops with our Moz as number 1.

I see nothing wrong with trying to understand it. And of course it doesn’t help much when someone says ‘go do research’, a bit of a cop out really.

Anyway, I still don’t understand why they deserve/what entitles them to perform the services they do? is it a natural skill inherited if you have the right blood or name?

I mean, couldn’t anyone in government perform the same services that a royal performs?

If in your research you find an answer to this question of mine, I’d be very grateful.

Yessir but/and I hope he doesn't go ape that TQID wasn't reissued this week, prompting the revival of Top Of The Pops with our Moz as number 1.

don’t worry, Boz didn’t co-write that one. ;)

"If anyone expects me to express anything but disdain for the monarch who supervised a government that sponsored the genocide that massacred and displaced half my family and the consequences of which those alive today are still trying to overcome, you can keep wishing upon a star."
- Uju Anya

"Some survivors of rape, castration, starvation, forced labour, and torture in Britain's colonial gulag in Kenya are still alive. They never got the apology they asked for."
- ShailJa Patel

"Queen Elizabeth had a very glorious chance and opportunities to right these wrongs by acknowledging the atrocities of the inglorious empire not only in Africa but also in Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean….to apologize and to pay reparations for these but she chose not to. That was her choice."
- Hardi Yakubu

So you are against people inheriting the private property of their parents?

They still don’t need to pay tax and they are technically exempt but they volunteered to do so. That is surely a good thing? Would you rather they didn’t pay tax on their private income?

The Sovereign Grant comes from the profits of their Crown Estate which is around £400 million a year which goes straight to the government in return for the £80million sovereign grant.

The sovereign grant equates to approx 77p to £1.20 per person per year. I think you will find most people won’t have a problem with that cost.

Th
:confused:

It was one of your fellow countrymen who favors the monarchy who told me to do research on the topic. Now you're telling me to f*ck off. Which is it?
I see nothing wrong with trying to understand it. And of course it doesn’t help much when someone says ‘go do research’, a bit of a cop out really.

Anyway, I still don’t understand why they deserve/what entitles them to perform the services they do? is it a natural skill inherited if you have the right blood or name?

I mean, couldn’t anyone in government perform the same services that a royal performs?

If in your research you find an answer to this question of mine, I’d be very grateful.
No one wants that. You could try suggesting it to the people and your MP tomorrow and see how far that idea goes if you like.

The whole basis of constitutional monarchyis that it is a hereditary role based on tradition. Replacing that with essentially an ambassador with no tradition wouldn’t have the same effect or attraction. Nice idea but would be a very unpopular one.

I told her to do her own research on the role of the monarch and what work they do because although it explained some of those duties the posts coming back kept saying they were the same as the kardashians so she never listens and is a troll and just wants to argue to be confrontational and shock people. This is the monster who said she would be happy if gas chambers were used to execute meat eaters. It is about shock tactics with this nonsense and really there is zero interest in anything anyone replies with that is factual. No point

No hate here kid, just a desire to have injustice recognised. Generally seen as a good thing, but royalty isn’t disposed to do it. Starts, and ends, with that.
They have recognised injustice many times. The troubles in Ireland were discussed and the effects of colonialism and slavery has also been acknowledged by the monarchy many times. But there has to be a point where royal descendants are not continually blamed for things they had nothing to do with.

Has the Catholic Church ever really apologised and acknowledged for the deals they did with the Nazis or the rape of children and have they handed over their records on such cases to the authorities as part of that apology, no they haven’t. They are still to blame because they hide the facts and the perpetrators but these royal descendants are not still carrying on with any of the things who keep demanding they acknowledge and they have been acknowledged over and over.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom