Queen Elizabeth II has died, Buckingham Palace announces - BBC (September 8, 2022)

Cowabunga (think that’s how you spell it), 19 pages of pure unadulterated debate and Morrissey in the toilet content, what? 6? Impressive

Fried Rice Cooking GIF by Nigel Ng (Uncle Roger)

...Am I to understand Charles is going to noncommittally sit on his family jewels - :straightface: - and let that second Liz frack the country up???!?

Cos if I were King I 'd have beaten some sense into the silly tart already!! There'd be blood on the sceptre. Oh yeah!

That P.M is off to a very rocky start indeed.
A fracking frenzy, is she off her rocker??? God knows what other plans she has to kill the land and the people on it.

I'm prepared to chain myself to 10 Downers st : PM me if you need help, good people of the UK!
Green Monarchy and Climate Change baiting Government, you can always rely on the the UK for controversial oxymorons.

we are talking rock n roll not crooning,never seen a woman throwing their undies at ole blue eyes,
I think the bobbysoxers did back in the late thirties, early forties. That was the pop music of the day, and he was the teen idol of the day.

Green Monarchy and Climate Change baiting Government, you can always rely on the the UK for controversial oxymorons.
His green credentials extend only to chatting to his chrysanthemums. In reality, he has little problem with securing his slice of middle-east oil revenues—as recently proven.

Morrissey doesn't need to add any more statement to his famous song "The queen is dead" and all he has already been saying over the years, if he wants to be elegant.
That’s never stopped him banging on repeatedly about it before.

some people treat their animals better than their own children.
ever heard of the casting couch.
You don’t really need to patronise.

You think that makes it acceptable? And his quote had no reference to the casting couch. It was in response to a sexual abuse victim coming forward in relation to Spacey allocations. He wasn’t casting anyone and even if he was it is a horrific belittling attack of a sex. abuse victim and all victims.

And what on earth has your comment re people treating their animals got to do with stating eating a meat sandwich is the same morally as sexually abusing a child?

Repulsive

I know many non brits who care more about uk royalty than most uk people I know.

There are people across the globe but particularly Americans who can’t get enough of that stuff.

And we all know many non Brit’s that don’t care about the UK monarchy. And why should they.

Yes there are many who do ‘care’, care in the same way they care about reality tv shows or the way celebrities in America are treated as ‘royalty’, or when the many get lost in the political/media circus, it’s all just forms of escapism, there are many clown shows to choose from.

others just want the truth …

Last edited:
yip,agree with that,popular culture started with bill hayley and a few others then ELVIS took it to another level which gave groups like the beatles the inspiration to do it themselves.

As far as pop culture goes, Johnie Ray was an influence and came before Elvis, he was one of Elvis’s idols. And though Ray was a crooner, I imagine his shows got pretty wild in regards to fandom, from what I’ve read.

Johnnie Ray was completely different from anything that went before him. . . . I consider Johnnie Ray to be the father of rock and roll.—Tony Bennett

Bob Dylan said of Ray that he was "The first singer whose voice and style I totally fell in love with."

Ringo Starr once recounted in a People magazine interview that "When I was 15, he [Johnnie Ray] was sitting on top of Liverpool's Adelphi Hotel throwing photos down to the fans, and I thought, 'That's the job for me”

Bill Wyman of the Rolling Stones said "Johnnie Ray was one of the first to make me really open my ears. That was like 2 or 3 years before Elvis."

I don’t think Elizabeth was a fan, maybe. I’m sure she was informed of the stir these youngsters were making, & thought them harmless. Wonder what she thought of the 60’s counterculture? and I’m not talking about the lovable mop tops, but after when the psychedelics kicked in.

Last edited:
Does anyone really listen to him still?
Most of his material is behind pay walls, but the subscription figures are significant. So yes, millions; me included—but I get the free ‘highlights’ of his programmes. He’s always topical and erudite.

And we all know many non Brit’s that don’t care about the UK monarchy. And why should they.

Yes there are many who do ‘care’, care in the same way they care about reality tv shows or the way celebrities in America are treated as ‘royalty’, or when the many get lost in the political/media circus, it’s all just forms of escapism, there are many clown shows to chose from.

others just want the truth …

I don’t believe I said there weren’t people who don’t care. I responded to a statement that categorically stated that no one outside of Britain and he Commonwealth cared about the uk monarchy and that is just not true.

You speak with an arrogant air of superiority in the way you just dismiss all the people who do like the queen in America as being the same as they care about a reality tv show.

She is genuinely loved in many quarters of the world by many people. The people I know don’t like here in the same way they watch a tv show at all. They are completely in awe of the woman as a stateswoman and a woman they admire for many reasons.

There are many groups of people in relation to monarchy and this also applies in the UK.

Those who significantly admire the monarchy and all its members and these people are the people going to London and elsewhere laying flowers and people who will be lining the streets at the funeral.

Those who greatly admired the queen but will be watching on tv around the world

Those you are apathetic about the monarchy and don’t really care one way or the other but will be respectful because someone died. They may be watching on tv or highlights while they watch the news. This group will be a large group but by on by they are not against the existence of the monarchy and if there was a referendum would likely not vote to disband.

Those who are against anything that is said that is a tribute and includes people who want to get rid of the monarchy. This is according to polls a very minority group.

Most of his material is behind pay walls, but the subscription figures are significant. So yes, millions; me included—but I get the free ‘highlights’ of his programmes. He’s always topical and erudite.
Fair enough. I found him to be very irritating after a while. I actually thought he was dead from an overdose but good to see he is raking it in odd people so he has a platform to spread his ideas.

I have gone through the taxpayer thing many times now.

They get 80 million from the sovereign grant. 30 of that covers the cost of the maintenance of royal properties which would still have to be paid by the government with or without a monarchy.

Another 30 pays the salaries of the few thousand people they employ.

The remaining gets distributed to all working royals by the monarch.

That doesn’t cover their costs and the rest of the income is from their private income and not the tax payer and they voluntarily pay tax on that income.

In return for that 80 million the monarch gives to the uk government all the profits from the Crown Estate which is usually around £400 million a year.

The income to the uk treasury from the monarchy outweighs what the taxpayer forks out and it equates to between 77p and £1.20 (less than a dollar) per person per year.

That is nothing compared to the amounts of taxpayer money the likes of the Tory government wastes every year on stupid mistakes like failed Ppe deals etc which comes to billions every year not 80 million. That is a drop in the ocean.

I would / will have to take your word on these finances. But consider that if the mindset of the world changed, where people gave up what I consider an unhealthy worship and fantasy / idolatry of the royals, then so too might the tourist revenues and merchandising diminish.

And even if it didn't, why does even 80 million need to go to them? How about half? Or a lot less? If people want to treat it like a PR "job" then they can receive a reasonable 'salary' and not get all the free perks.

I don't believe in the whole mindset or notion of royalty. We've got a lot of wannabe disney princesses running around too, who think the world revolves around them. The Narcissism Express.

I don’t believe I said there weren’t people who don’t care. I responded to a statement that categorically stated that no one outside of Britain and he Commonwealth cared about the uk monarchy and that is just not true.
Sure, just stating my view point on the subject.
You speak with an arrogant air of superiority in the way you just dismiss all the people who do like the queen in America as being the same as they care about a reality tv show.
See it the way you want, and I’m sorry that it triggers you so. No, I have my faults too, but I’m sure I’m not the only one in this dismal of those that participate in that form of escapism.
She is genuinely loved in many quarters of the world by many people. The people I know don’t like here in the same way they watch a tv show at all. They are completely in awe of the woman as a stateswoman and a woman they admire for many reasons.
Sure. There are a variety of view points in many quarters of the world.
There are many groups of people in relation to monarchy and this also applies in the UK.

Those who significantly admire the monarchy and all its members and these people are the people going to London and elsewhere laying flowers and people who will be lining the streets at the funeral.

Those who greatly admired the queen but will be watching on tv around the world
Ok.
Those you are apathetic about the monarchy and don’t really care one way or the other but will be respectful because someone died.
Sure, and I agree.
They may be watching on tv or highlights while they watch the news. This group will be a large group but by on by they are not against the existence of the monarchy and if there was a referendum would likely not vote to disband.
Sure, everyone has their reasons to be involved or not get involved.
Those who are against anything that is said that is a tribute and includes people who want to get rid of the monarchy. This is according to polls a very minority group.

yeah, polls. I don’t really think popularity is such a great way to gauge and determine what’s good for any society and it’s people or the world as a whole.

Sure, just stating my view point on the subject.

See it the way you want, and I’m sorry that it triggers you so. No, I have my faults too, but I’m sure I’m not the only one in this dismal of those that participate in that form of escapism.

Sure. There are a variety of view points in many quarters of the world.

Ok.

Sure, and I agree.

Sure, everyone has their reasons to be involved or not get involved.

yeah, polls. I don’t really think popularity is such a great way to gauge and determine what’s good for any society and it’s people.
I don’t know anyone who are in a category of admiring the monarchy because they are practising escapism. None of the people I refer to that I know in America have nothing to escape from and neither do I but you may be surprised to known I am in the borderline of the apathetic group and the admire group but mostly in the the apathy group. I move between the two but on here my only point was to correct inaccuracies re finances etc. I won’t be laying flowers and I won’t be going to the laying of state mainly cause I have no time and would rather sit at home and read a book. As for the funeral i believe I may have to attend but waiting for confirmation. But that will be work.

You keep saying you want the truth and also saying that popularity isn’t always a measure of what is good for people. You could say that about anything including Morrissey. But in a democracy popularity is very key because people will vote for what they like ie popular. You haven’t explained what truth you seek. Truth about what? And what is it about the Uk monarchy that backs up your statement that it may not be good for the people? We’ve done the finance side so what it is that you think is detrimental for the UK people that they are so incapable of understanding for themselves what is good or bad for them?

I would / will have to take your word on these finances. But consider that if the mindset of the world changed, where people gave up what I consider an unhealthy worship and fantasy / idolatry of the royals, then so too might the tourist revenues and merchandising diminish.

And even if it didn't, why does even 80 million need to go to them? How about half? Or a lot less? If people want to treat it like a PR "job" then they can receive a reasonable 'salary' and not get all the free perks.

I don't believe in the whole mindset or notion of royalty. We've got a lot of wannabe disney princesses running around too, who think the world revolves around them. The Narcissism Express.
The finance info I posted is publicly available if you care to look if you don’t believe me.

Do you not think a deal that means the Uk treasury gets £400 million from the total profits from the Crown Estate and gives back to the Monarchy £80 million is a good deal for the uk treasury?

And the vast majority of that 80 million goes to pay for property upkeep of royal palaces and estates and the salaries of the several thousand employees across the commonwealth. These things would have to be paid for even if the monarchy were salaried so there would be no saying to government.

Princesses running around don’t get any money from the taxpayer unless they are working royals.

Much of your assumptions and theories are it based on facts. It is very easy to just jump on a bandwagon view that the taxpayer pays for them which isn’t really that simplistic.

I’ve also seen statements that the queen was worth 28billion but to get that figure they are adding all properties across the commonwealth which are listed as official buildings but the key point about all of that is that legally and constitutionally the monarch is not allowed to sell any of that property nor any property in the Crown Estate or the Duchies.

If you are not allowed to sell something then it is debatable if you actually own it.

The queens personal worth is approx 340 million and that is made up of a private art collection, private jewellery collection (not the Crown Jewels) and her own private investment portfolio bought with her own money along with only two properties which she does own and could be sold, Balmoral and Sandringham but they will never be sold.

All I’m going to say about this is at least we know the opening song of the upcoming tour 😂

I don’t know anyone who are in a category of admiring the monarchy because they are practising escapism. None of the people I refer to that I know in America have nothing to escape from and neither do I but you may be surprised to known I am in the borderline of the apathetic group and the admire group but mostly in the the apathy group. I move between the two but on here my only point was to correct inaccuracies re finances etc. I won’t be laying flowers and I won’t be going to the laying of state mainly cause I have no time and would rather sit at home and read a book. As for the funeral i believe I may have to attend but waiting for confirmation. But that will be work.
that’s fine if you can’t see the escapism.
You keep saying you want the truth and also saying that popularity isn’t always a measure of what is good for people. You could say that about anything including Morrissey. But in a democracy popularity is very key because people will vote for what they like ie popular. You haven’t explained what truth you seek. Truth about what? And what is it about the Uk monarchy that backs up your statement that it may not be good for the people? We’ve done the finance side so what it is that you think is detrimental for the UK people that they are so incapable of understanding for themselves what is good or bad for them?

You won’t be able to understand, since you can’t see the adoration of the royals as escapism.

To add, I’m not here to convert you or anyone to my way of feeling, perceiving the world. You either know or you don’t. Again, I don’t believe popularity is always a good thing. And sorry to inform you, but not everyone likes the royals, this is simply a fact.

Last edited:
that’s fine if you can’t see the escapism.

You won’t be able to understand, since you can’t see the adoration of the royals as escapism.

To add, I’m not here to convert you or anyone to my way of feeling, perceiving the world. You either know or you don’t. Again, I don’t believe popularity is always a good thing. And sorry to inform you, but not everyone likes the royals, this is simply a fact.
I’ve already stated in my previous post that there is a category of people who don’t like the monarchy. I’m not stupid and I do know that not everyone who likes them does so because of escapism and that has nothing to do with the patronising view where you state that is because I can’t see the escapism. I have nothing to escape from and I don’t need any royal pageantry etc to fill any escapist needs or gaps in my life. I have a very fulfilled life with or without Monarchy hence me being more in the apathetic group but even people in the adamant republican group have still being paying tributes to the queen. It was a surprise to me to see some of them for ardent outspoken republicans.

If there is an element of escapism for some people I don’t also see why that would be a bad thing for them. Some people who have difficult lives especially right now having something that helps them to escape is mentally likely a good thing for them and brings them some peace but people should be credited with make those decisions as to what is good for them themselves.

I guess morrissey was an escape for many people in their difficult teenage years etc and I possibly maybe agree with you that may not have been a good thing.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom