Quality of Production and Musicianship on Smiths Recordings

satchmo76

The first album is still my favourite studio album of the 80s by any act, but I must confess that when I listen to it alongside something of the same vintage by other acts, the sound does feel rather tinny, like it's wrapped in cellophane. Does it spoil our enjoyment of the songs, even just a little? Is there anything that can be done to beef up the sound to get the record up to the standard of a modern sound, as happened with The Beatles remasters?

The other issue is Morrissey's low opinion of Mike's drumming. Does he have a point?

I think the tracks are all quite good on it, but of all The Smiths solo albums it's the one I listen to the least and I believe the production is to blame. I know the band was displeased with the production hence why much of the same material is available on Hatful of Hallow. Hatful of Hallow, on the other hand, is The Smiths album I listen to the most which really makes me think that the production on the first album is what keeps me away from it.

The first album is my favourite, but I do admit to preferring some of the versions on Hatful of Hollow, with the exception of Still Ill and You've Got Everything Now. As for Mike's drumming, I've never had any problem with it and I personally think Morrissey's opinion is probably tainted by his loathing. Then again, I would say that Joyce is the least inventive of the lineup, although that isn't to say he was a weak drummer at all.

Joyce was a great drummer; not too flashy, not too simple. Listen to how the Rank version of "I Know It's Over" builds and builds.

I will say he was very heavy handed with the tambourine; and the tambourine on "The Boy With..." annoys the f*** out of me.

Joyce was a great drummer; not too flashy, not too simple. Listen to how the Rank version of "I Know It's Over" builds and builds.

I will say he was very heavy handed with the tambourine; and the tambourine on "The Boy With..." annoys the f*** out of me.

Blimey, you must have some sort of tambourine sensitivity disorder.

Could be anyone playing that tambourine, though, not necessarily the drummer.

Could be anyone playing that tambourine, though, not necessarily the drummer.

He has one of those mounted hi-hat tambourines, so it was him. Just focus your attention on the tambourine. So annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Morrissey was quoted by the judge as referring to Joyce and Rourke as "lawnmower parts". The fact that he includes Rourke in that statement makes it ludicrous because Rourke is fabulous on many tracks. The 'Meat Is Murder' album rocks on his bass.

The girl on the right looks like Grimes in this godawful video of an otherwise terrific song.

Does anyone else that if David Letterman lucked out and had a hot daughter that she would look just like Grimes? Same flat wide nose and goofy smile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom