Q104.3 New York YT: "Josh Klinghoffer Talks Pluralone, Pearl Jam, Morrissey, RHCP, Chad Smith & More" (October 4, 2022)

d497c92806a6322875f4b71d02818694c7cf0276~2.jpg

Barely a year since he departed RHCP, Klinghoffer found himself sitting across from Chad Smith again, this time during sessions for a forthcoming Morrissey album with producer Andrew Watt.
"It was such a blessing for me to be able to play with Chad again, and the way we record over at Andrew's, we're as close as we are now [in this room]," Josh explained. "That's just kind of a rarity these days in itself, live recording that close."

Morrissey mentions from about 7mins in.
He discusses the impact of covid (about 9mins) in how it affected Morrissey's song writing and how it would bring them to Andrew Watt.
Mentions only 3 people recording with occasional visits by Jesse.
Then mentioning The Queen Is Dead / Royal Family (about 11mins).

With thanks to @Jake The Stripper.
Regards,
FWD.

I just watched it and wooow how nice this guy is. I do hope to listen his work with Moz pretty soon.

So the writing process was reversed?? Now seriously hyped for this album.

Well that was a buzz hearing that stuff from this guy. Makes me want him in the band cause he's clearly a big fan of Morrissey and it's refreshing to hear that without the usual snowflake qualifier that I'm beyond sick of hearing. Will we ever hear this album? Maybe. I really want it to come out so we can get the wheels turning for Alain Whyte's co writes.

Well that was a buzz hearing that stuff from this guy. Makes me want him in the band cause he's clearly a big fan of Morrissey and it's refreshing to hear that without the usual snowflake qualifier that I'm beyond sick of hearing. Will we ever hear this album? Maybe. I really want it to come out so we can get the wheels turning for Alain Whyte's co writes.

He's not going to join Moz though. He's playing with Pearl Jam, the salary is not going to compare.

Listening to Kerouac's Crack made me wonder if there had been first the melody and then the lyrics were written and adapted to it. But it seems that was not the case here.

He is a big big fan and is a very cool guy. I'd love to see him write for Morrissey, that would be very interesting.
While on tour with the Red Hot Chilli Peppers he has played a few Morrissey songs live, like this one, which I think is a fantastic cover and the guitar playing is fantastic.

Listening to Kerouac's Crack made me wonder if there had been first the melody and then the lyrics were written and adapted to it. But it seems that was not the case here.
So the writing process was reversed?? Now seriously hyped for this album.

Don’t think it was reversed.

I’m thinking when Josh said Morrissey came to them with songs, ( showed Andrew the songs) that Morrissey handed them
recorded demos, words and music stems, with click track. So they could keep the vocals and rework and decorate the music that’s already there, music pre-written by those in Morrissey’s band, Jesse, etc.

Doesn’t sound like he just handed them the lyrics. Because Morrissey basically told them they could screw with the music, but they can’t touch the vocals, rearrange/edit the words. So I think the songs original melody and what Morrissey initially used to create his sung melody stayed, while Josh, Chad, etc played around with the rest of the music.

He is a big big fan and is a very cool guy. I'd love to see him write for Morrissey, that would be very interesting.
While on tour with the Red Hot Chilli Peppers he has played a few Morrissey songs live, like this one, which I think is a fantastic cover and the guitar playing is fantastic.

Wow when I said he was a fan I had no idea he was such a big fan that he performed Morrissey solo songs live. Pretty accommodation of RHCP to allow him stage time to belt this song out. Not great vocals but still a lot of feeling in his voice regardless.

I'm a bit confused does this mean this is one work on another album after "Bonfire of teenager"? Are we going to ever hear that "Bonfire" then?

I'm a bit confused does this mean this is one work on another album after "Bonfire of teenager"? Are we going to ever hear that "Bonfire" then?
It is confusing! To try to answer your questions:

1. We know that Alain Whyte has been writing new material for Morrissey and it's assumed some/much of that will appear on the album after Bonfire.
2. At this point we still have no idea if/when Bonfire will actually be released, despite lots of hints/comments about it "coming soon"...

Yeah, kinda excited to hear the Bonfire record.
If they were all sittin' together and playin' live in a
room, then it's gonna have a different energy to it.
A song like "Telephone Rings" is gonna sound
super rockin'.
Kinda excited to hear that Iggy record too!

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom