Pushing and shoving at the Mozza gig - May 1st 2006

dom

Thats How People Throw Up
Hello all

I know i keep going on about this gig a lot, but remember your first ever Morrissey gig? Wasn't it the best feeling ever!? (let alone those of you lucky enough to have ever had the privelege to go to a Smiths gig!!) So hope i'm not pissing you all off too much with constant talk of the one i went to.

I was just wondering if anyone went to Mozza gig two years ago - Alexander Palace? If so, how was it for you? Also, what did you think of all the pushing and shoving? I was right at the front in the 'mosh pit' i guess you could call it (even for a Mozz gig)

I felt it did really spoil it quite a bit. I spent most of the time using my arms to shield my girlfriend from 20 stone men and other butchly blokes around her, plus trying to keep myself alive. My girlfriend caved in and had to be pulled over the barriers by the security guards cos she thought she was going to faint...and..this is the bit for me i can't believe. I had to fight my way out from the crowd...AS "HOW SOON NOW" BEGAN TO PLAY!!!!! ...But i was seriously convinced i would die..:eek: whimp Dom, lol. Saying all that, i will never forget it. Amazing amazing amazing!

Thoughts? Even if you wern't at the gig, what do you think of this kind of behaviour from us fans? Harmless fun, or spoiling fun?

Dom :guitar:

Last edited:
Hmmm, i was pretty shocked at my first gig. If youa re standing in the first twenty or so rows then expect to get thrown about a bit.

well, I thought Ally Pally wasn't very bad at all, and I was dead front center. Earl's Court was a bit worse, even Halifax was rougher. But San Diego on Halloween in 1992, yes... I do remember thinking I was going to die, and I was about 5 back, then 10 back, and by the third song, in the back.

well, I thought Ally Pally wasn't very bad at all, and I was dead front center. Earl's Court was a bit worse, even Halifax was rougher. But San Diego on Halloween in 1992, yes... I do remember thinking I was going to die, and I was about 5 back, then 10 back, and by the third song, in the back.

Lol, fair enough. Well, i would have been near you at ally pally, as i was at pretty much centre too. How lucky i qued at the left side door. i had no idea which side the stage was, and as the doors opened, i couldnt beleve my luck. and then i nearly died because of it, but i'll never look back :)

Lol, fair enough. Well, i would have been near you at ally pally, as i was at pretty much centre too.

Unless you are French, then probably not because they were surrounding me. In every direction.

Unless you are French, then probably not because they were surrounding me. In every direction.

Heh heh, oh dear, how anoying. I just had overbearing sweaty men to deal with. Euch :sick:

Been to about 10 shows all up. The real violent ones I think happened around the time of the 91-92 Moz hysteria. The ones I went to back then were pretty darn rough.

I have to say that this is the first time I connect with Dom- no offense. When attending my first Morrissey show, the moment I heard the opening strike of HSIN I went bonkers. I know many within this forum believe it is trite and over-played, but it plays my heart-strings and reflects both all that I am and have been. I pushed and shoved to be as close to HIM as a could. Thank you Moz for a moment that I WILL HOPEFULLY, NEVER FORGET! VIVA MOZ!

I've read stuff about Alexandra Palace being quite an agressive gig before but I have no idea why. I was on the barrier the whole night and I was actually pushed about less than usual. Although at the end a fat goth guy went a bit mad behind me and shoved into me.

Anyway, I don't think Morrissey gigs would be the same without the pushing and shoving.

I've read stuff about Alexandra Palace being quite an agressive gig before but I have no idea why. I was on the barrier the whole night and I was actually pushed about less than usual. Although at the end a fat goth guy went a bit mad behind me and shoved into me.

Anyway, I don't think Morrissey gigs would be the same without the pushing and shoving.

I have to say that I was actually hit by some guy at this gig, because I wouldn't give up my space near the front. :eek: What a charmer!

There was a bit of an aggressive vibe that night I seem to remember.

at the end of the day, your at the front of a gig, surrounded by 100's of people that adore morrissey. Its goin to get a bit physical. Every body that goes to the front should have the common sense to know this. If you dont like the "jostling", then stand at the back.

The shows are tame these days compared to the early solo ones. I just find that people complain more nowadays?

I maintain what I have said before. At a standing gig, everone pays the same to get in. The focus of the night is the stage at the front, so when Morrissey comes on, don't be surprised to find yourself pushed around.

I do like most people. I decide (depending on the support) when to arrive, then position myself as close to the stage as I can. 10 seconds into the first song, the floor space opens up anyway, so it turns into a stood up version of musical chairs anyway!

The most shocking behaviour I have seen, was at a seated gig. Julia just occupying the best seat she could, and refusing to move when the ticket holder arrived. She completely blanked them, as though they didn't exist. To me, that is far worse than a bit of pushing and shoving?

The most shocking behaviour I have seen, was at a seated gig. Julia just occupying the best seat she could, and refusing to move when the ticket holder arrived. She completely blanked them, as though they didn't exist. To me, that is far worse than a bit of pushing and shoving?

Was that at the Liverpool Philharmonic, May 2006?
Or has she done that more than once? :confused:

Heh heh, oh dear, how anoying. I just had overbearing sweaty men to deal with. Euch :sick:

That would be me then....sorry. Six foot four and seventeen stone, I don't take prisoners :)

Arrive late, start at the back, make your way forward. Second song in you're within a few people of the front, stay there and enjoy it, made it the front mid way through the gig.

It had been my first Morrissey gig sine the MEN a year or so before so had a lot of moshing to catch up on. But saw him the week after in Manc (Bridgewater Hall) very civilised seating - very exciting gig - pulled a wheelie on my motorbike outside because I was so happy. And then at Xmas saw him two nights at Gmex - moshed on the first night with a mate, stayed in the middle on the second night with my partner.

Looking forward to Roundhouse (Sunday) and Doncaster over the next few weeks

It could be worse, it could be overbearing sweaty women. There was this big woman in the pit at the Gmex gig with a short dress on, she got lifted over the barrier by security and all I got was this big sweaty bum and thong right in my face!! The guy from Rocksteady had to shake the sweat from his hand!

My first Moz show was December 6th? (or 5th can't remember) at Nottingham Ice Arena. We got there at about 5.30 and there were only about 5 people in the que! We were talking to an American lady who had followed the tour, (it wasn't Julia), and it was freezing cold. When we got in we ran to the front, much to the anger of the security guards, and maintained this position for the duration of the show. One of my favourite moments was at the end of a Kristeen Young song, no one clapped and I said to my friend accidentally loudly 'Well that was shit' to which she replied 'Keep your opinions to yourself'. That was quite funny. The setlist was brilliant, and the rushing and pushing was kept to quite a minimum. I think that the whole experience is likely to differ from that of Camden - expect 8 hour queing and extreme crowd testosterone.

There is always a bit of pushing and shoving at the gigs but the worse thing i ever saw was at Reading festival 18months ago - there was some huge blond neanderthal guy on his own clearly completely out of his face pushing and shoving people out of his way - he was very big and no one really stood up to him until this one young girl confronted him and told him to stop - he then proceeded to punch her - and i mean properly! She was not only hurt but shocked as were all her mates - they carried her away. The guy then disappeared. I have never seen anything like it and sincerely hope he either wasnt a fan - just some thug at the festival.
To this day i regret not doing anything myself but he was much bigger than me!

It could be worse, it could be overbearing sweaty women. There was this big woman in the pit at the Gmex gig with a short dress on, she got lifted over the barrier by security and all I got was this big sweaty bum and thong right in my face!!

that must have been terrible.

One of my favourite moments was at the end of a Kristeen Young song, no one clapped and I said to my friend accidentally loudly 'Well that was shit' to which she replied 'Keep your opinions to yourself'. That was quite funny.

lol! :D That's her name, had forgotten. Gosh she IS terrible isn't she! (saw her on Ringleaders tour supporting Mozza) It is the only time i have ever felt EMBARRASSED for someone at a professional performance It was cringing. There were very few people that held their tongue about her there too. Have you seen Sons and Daughters support Moz, they were at Ally Pally too as second support act, i quite liked them, put them on the internet jukebox at uni when i got back, cant remember which song i like from them, but they were ok. However, someone near me did shout out 'I want Morrissey' to which the lead singer heard and replied 'so do i, but i cant have him'

lol! :D That's her name, had forgotten. Gosh she IS terrible isn't she! (saw her on Ringleaders tour supporting Mozza) It is the only time i have ever felt EMBARRASSED for someone at a professional performance It was cringing. There were very few people that held their tongue about her there too. Have you seen Sons and Daughters support Moz, they were at Ally Pally too as second support act, i quite liked them, put them on the internet jukebox at uni when i got back, cant remember which song i like from them, but they were ok. However, someone near me did shout out 'I want Morrissey' to which the lead singer heard and replied 'so do i, but i cant have him'

She was awful - complete style over substance. SHe couldn't decide whether she wanted to be Kate Bush, Bjork or David Bowie - so thought she'd have a pop at being miserable at all three. I have only seen Kristeen Young support Moz as this was my first and last gig, but from what I've heard Girl In A Coma are nothing to shout about.

Back
Top Bottom