Pubs and Morrissey

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
In relation to something else, can users here name some pubs with Morrissey/Smiths connections, even those the man himself was known to frequent?

I'm not well up on the subject - obviously the Grave Maurice is no more (well, not under that name anyway); there was a pub in Bow he mentioned in an interview, after that, I'm struggling. It would have to be an extant pub, still going under the same name. Further afield there's the Cat & Fiddle. Any more?

Cheers,

Peter

In relation to something else, can users here name some pubs with Morrissey/Smiths connections, even those the man himself was known to frequent?

I'm not well up on the subject - obviously the Grave Maurice is no more (well, not under that name anyway); there was a pub in Bow he mentioned in an interview, after that, I'm struggling. It would have to be an extant pub, still going under the same name. Further afield there's the Cat & Fiddle. Any more?

Cheers,

Peter

there is 1 in Santa Monica too, real good fish and chips there :thumb:
but the name escapes me :confused: Morrissey was seen there more than once though & no I am not confusing it with "Cat & Fiddle" which is in Hollywood, wait, i think the name is coming to me now :guitar:
"The King's Head " perhaps, you could google it :o

Last edited:
Cheers,Peter
he meet up with a journalist in the vauxhall tavern at 94.....and I do remember vaguely moz dismissing rogan saying something along the line "that rogan couldnt never attract any crowd even with a dress(??)/as a women impersinator on putting on a show in vauxhall tavern"
also soem further vauxhall tavern mentions if my memory serves me well
read that in a fanzine

i do remember tht infamous interview of frank owen (either with the melody maker or nme)in the 80ties where he speaks about several..well i dont know if these were pubs or clubs or bars?- in manchester..I assume so...only remember one name. "dickens"

edit: i found interview online-and it was MM:
http://foreverill.com/interviews/1986/abroad.htm

Life for the would-be Bohemian in Manchester was always hard. Pre-punk, those seeking sanctuary from the patrolling behemoths covered in vomit, had little alternative but to take refuge in the gay clubs, like Dickens (a sleaze pit where your feet stuck to the floor when you walked in), or the gay pubs, like the Thompson's Arms, the Rembrandt, or the Union (the hippest spot of degeneracy in town - full of trannies with plastic legs).
"The gay scene in Manchester," says Morrissey, "was a little bit heavy for me. I was a delicate bloom. Do you remember the Union? Too heavy for me, as was Dickens.
The Rembrandt I could take. It was a bit kind of craggy. There was no place, at that time, in Manchester, in the very early stages, that one could be surrounded by fascinating, healthy people" (pause) "fascinating, healthy bikers for example. It was always like the cross-eyed, club-footed, one-armed, whatever!"
"The gay scene in Manchester was always atrocious. Do you remember Bernard's Bar, now Stuffed Olives?"
I do indeed. I particularly remember the endless stream of aging music hall acts that Bernard booked (Mr. Memory men, jugglers, etc) in order to create what he thought was an upmarket ambience. Perhaps that's where the inspiration for "Frankly, Mr Shankly" came from? I also remember that you were kicked out if you dared so much as snigger at the appalling turns.
"If one wanted peace and to sit without being called a parade of names then that was the only hope. Bernard's Bar was fine for a while but what I was really into was the music." That's where punk fitted in.

Last edited:
obviously the Grave Maurice is no more (well, not under that name anyway);

The Grave Maurice is back under that name. But now a 'trendy' bar, trance music et al.

The impression I got from Meetings with Morrissey is that a lot of his mid-90s interviews were done in pubs in London (particularly Camden) and Manchester. There's that pub (I can't remember the name) that's owned by the actress that plays Vera Duckworth near Granada studios that Morrissey has been spotted in quite a few times. (I could be making it up that she owns it...someone please correct me if I'm wrong!)

And of course, Proud in Camden where I bumped into him! :thumb:

he meet up with a journalist in the vauxhall tavern at 94.....and I do remember vaguely moz dismissing rogan saying something along the line "that rogan couldnt never attract any crowd even with a dress(??)/as a women impersinator on putting on a show in vauxhall tavern"
also soem further vauxhall tavern mentions if my memory serves me well
read that in a fanzine

i do remember tht infamous interview of frank owen (either with the melody maker or nme)in the 80ties where he speaks about several..well i dont know if these were pubs or clubs?- in manchester..I assume so...only remember one name. "dickens"
(.......................................)

some indirect moz related pubs which i had searched for when i was in london last year:
in relation to the kray twins (3 pubs): carpenters arms,lion, blind beggar

and and two pubs in the area where "sucessful video was shot:jukebox mentioned turks head
I would also add "town of ramsgate"
further explanations to the exact location and relation here:
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=904364

Last edited:
Last year Danny spotted a blog which is the sighting of Morrissey in Big Red in Holloway Road, London.

My friends met him in Spread Eagle, Camden Town in March 2004.

Cheers,

Peter

Why? What are you planning to do?

At the Move Festival, 2004, at Lancashire Cricket Club's Old Trafford ground, (a stone throws away from Kings Road) Morrissey asked if anyone was going to The Quadrant for a pint afterwards.
The Quadrant is a pub on the roundabout on Kings Road.

Jukebox Jury

Quite a few he used to frequent over here, including a local of a good mate of mine who went on the piss with him a few years back..

Quite a few he used to frequent over here, including a local of a good mate of mine who went on the piss with him a few years back..
Details please ?
Thanking you.

There's that pub (I can't remember the name) that's owned by the actress that plays Vera Duckworth near Granada studios that Morrissey has been spotted in quite a few times. (I could be making it up that she owns it...someone please correct me if I'm wrong!)

The Old Grapes. Just off Deansgate, near the Opera House. Last time I was in there, the walls were totally festooned with photo's of famous friends and acquaintances of Vera Duckworth. I thought the place was bobbins, to be honest.

Cheers,

Peter

the pub in Bow was the little driver

http://www.fancyapint.com/pubs/pub123.html

i also remember him going to the good mixer pre 94

Iam a Ghost
Re: Pubs and Morrissey
Originally Posted by joe frady
Details please ?Thanking you.
Iam a Ghost
The Submarine Bar, Crumlin, Dublin 12.
@I am a ghost...I think joe rather wants to know more about the drinking session with moz than about the location if I got him right...;)

Ido remember tht infamous interview of frank owen (either with the melody maker or nme)in the 80ties where he speaks about several..well i dont know if these were pubs or clubs or bars?- in manchester..I assume so...only remember one name. "dickens"

edit: i found interview online-and it was MM:
http://foreverill.com/interviews/1986/abroad.htm

Life for the would-be Bohemian in Manchester was always hard. Pre-punk, those seeking sanctuary from the patrolling behemoths covered in vomit, had little alternative but to take refuge in the gay clubs, like Dickens (a sleaze pit where your feet stuck to the floor when you walked in), or the gay pubs, like the Thompson's Arms, the Rembrandt, or the Union (the hippest spot of degeneracy in town - full of trannies with plastic legs).
"The gay scene in Manchester," says Morrissey, "was a little bit heavy for me. I was a delicate bloom. Do you remember the Union? Too heavy for me, as was Dickens.
The Rembrandt I could take.
It was a bit kind of craggy. There was no place, at that time, in Manchester, in the very early stages, that one could be surrounded by fascinating, healthy people" (pause) "fascinating, healthy bikers for example. It was always like the cross-eyed, club-footed, one-armed, whatever!"
"The gay scene in Manchester was always atrocious. Do you remember Bernard's Bar, now Stuffed Olives?"
I do indeed. I particularly remember the endless stream of aging music hall acts that Bernard booked (Mr. Memory men, jugglers, etc) in order to create what he thought was an upmarket ambience. Perhaps that's where the inspiration for "Frankly, Mr Shankly" came from? I also remember that you were kicked out if you dared so much as snigger at the appalling turns.
"If one wanted peace and to sit without being called a parade of names then that was the only hope. Bernard's Bar was fine for a while but what I was really into was the music." That's where punk fitted in.

I would be very interested reading from someone from manchester or anyone who did visit manchester in the 70ties who had attend these ^ places or having strolled along and pass them by around the time to tell a bit more about it...I wonder what he meant with it "being too heavy" ..
the clientel etc...
what was that like in manchester in the 70ties ....especially the "canal street area";-)

Last edited:
Tags
moz`s fave pubs pubs
Back
Top Bottom