Public Relations and Future New Album- Thoughts?

T

Torieger

Hi all,

I am relatively new to this forum, but definitely not to Morrissey's music,as I've been a fan since the early 1990's. Although I have been a fan for many years, I have been very dismayed by Morrissey this past year in terms of how he has become somewhat of a laughingstock in the public eye. And it seems, although he has always made controversial remarks, none match the level of the recent ones,both in meanness and pettiness, as well as due to the much more media intense world we live in in 2012.

Even if he wrote an album of beautiful, insightful songs (which I really hope he does or has done), and agreed to a record deal, large or small, do you think that the media at large could forget the seemingly attention-getting antics and hurtful comments and ever take him seriously again? {Full disclosure: I work as a public relations associate at a firm in Dallas, Texas,(USA) so PR is my life.} But in the case of Morrissey, he could really benefit from some "Crisis management." For instance, after the infamous "Norway Comments", had he chosen to donate a large amount of money to a fund assisting victims of the tragedy, or perhaps organized a charity concert to raise money for the families, or at least met with the families of the victims to personally apologize, some of the sting would be taken out of what he said, so unbelievably insensitively. As someone who has cultivated such a cherished "brand" over the years, dating so far back with the Smiths and obviously through his amazing solo career, it seems almost incomprehensible to me that he is risking losing so much goodwill. Is he that self-destructive? Any other ways that he could rehabilitate his career back to a more dignified level? It seems he would want to if he ever expects to sell records to anyone outside his core,devoted fan base. I just can't wrap my head around how one of the most prolific, poetic lyricists of the past 3 decades could be reduced to a joke. I mean, I get that he has no manager or handlers apparently, but doesn't he have anyone to tell him how this looks to the public, especially the public that isn't familiar with him?

Or is another poster correct in saying that he is on the path of becoming the "world's loneliest icon"?

I know this has been touched upon in other threads, in the wake of last summer's fiascos, but what are your thoughts in light of all the newer, more recent antics?

I am truly asking this, both from the perspective of a pr gal, as well as a very concerned Morrissey/Smiths fan. I know we are not in Morrissey's head nor are we in his "inner circle" and can never know 100%, but I would love to have some possible insight into this frustrating conundrum.

Looking forward to any and all thoughts on this. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's only really been since Quarry that Moz got any sort of respect from the mainstream media, and that was just through virtue of him having stuck around so long. Even in the early 90s he was portrayed as "the grandfather of Britpop", and by the end of the decade he'd become, by his own admission, the musical equivalent of "box office poison". He has a curious love/hate relationship with the media, but he's never pandered to what was fashionable at that's commendable. Personally, I think if he can survive the Finsbury Park debacle, he can survive a year or two of bad Press (which he mostly asked for, anyway). He isn't irredeemably tarnished like Gary Glitter & co. All it takes is one great record, and he'll be "the best lyricist ever to live" again before you can blink. Of course, there will always be those who think he was finished as soon as Marr left, but if he catered to those people there wouldn't be a Morrissey-Solo at all.

Why are you trying to pose as an American? I can smell your stench from 17 miles away. Morrissey is fine. Every fifth word out of the mouth of someone working in PR is a lie. It is proven. I'm more concerned about your PR image and how you come off as a phony, like we wouldn't notice. Put your PR spin that. Here's some advice for you: Don't advise Moz, he knows exactly what he's doing. He doesn't need you or your advice. He does it well, always has, always will. Screw Norway. Screw England and screw all you haters. Go to the OMD website, you'll fit in nicely.

Hi all,

I am relatively new to this forum, but definitely not to Morrissey's music,as I've been a fan since the early 1990's. Although I have been a fan for many years, I have been very dismayed by Morrissey this past year in terms of how he has become somewhat of a laughingstock in the public eye. And it seems, although he has always made controversial remarks, none match the level of the recent ones,both in meanness and pettiness, as well as due to the much more media intense world we live in in 2012.

Even if he wrote an album of beautiful, insightful songs (which I really hope he does or has done), and agreed to a record deal, large or small, do you think that the media at large could forget the seemingly attention-getting antics and hurtful comments and ever take him seriously again? {Full disclosure: I work as a public relations associate at a firm in Dallas, Texas,(USA) so PR is my life.} But in the case of Morrissey, he could really benefit from some "Crisis management." For instance, after the infamous "Norway Comments", had he chosen to donate a large amount of money to a fund assisting victims of the tragedy, or perhaps organized a charity concert to raise money for the families, or at least met with the families of the victims to personally apologize, some of the sting would be taken out of what he said, so unbelievably insensitively. As someone who has cultivated such a cherished "brand" over the years, dating so far back with the Smiths and obviously through his amazing solo career, it seems almost incomprehensible to me that he is risking losing so much goodwill. Is he that self-destructive? Any other ways that he could rehabilitate his career back to a more dignified level? It seems he would want to if he ever expects to sell records to anyone outside his core,devoted fan base. I just can't wrap my head around how one of the most prolific, poetic lyricists of the past 3 decades could be reduced to a joke. I mean, I get that he has no manager or handlers apparently, but doesn't he have anyone to tell him how this looks to the public, especially the public that isn't familiar with him?

Or is another poster correct in saying that he is on the path of becoming the "world's loneliest icon"?

I know this has been touched upon in other threads, in the wake of last summer's fiascos, but what are your thoughts in light of all the newer, more recent antics?

I am truly asking this, both from the perspective of a pr gal, as well as a very concerned Morrissey/Smiths fan. I know we are not in Morrissey's head nor are we in his "inner circle" and can never know 100%, but I would love to have some possible insight into this frustrating conundrum.

Looking forward to any and all thoughts on this. Thanks!

Last edited:
Actually, I must say, as idiotic as many of Morrissey's recent comments have been (e.g. Norway thing, Falklands thing) it is immensely refreshing that he doesn't give a shit about conventional PR. If only more were like him! If only everyone was like him, in that respect. I can't help thinking the world would be a better place if the concept of PR did not exist.

It's great that he comes out against the royals, an appalling bunch of scrounging, priviledged horse faced burdens on the state.

As someone who has cultivated such a cherished "brand" over the years, dating so far back with the Smiths and obviously through his amazing solo career

I don't think this is necessarily true.

If you go back and look at the earliest interviews in 1983 and 1984, Morrissey does seem to be pushing a Smiths "brand". Completely.

However, the more you examine his choices, the more you realize he hasn't changed his approach much over the years. There was always a disconnect between the ideals of the brand, shall we say, and the tactics he adopted to try and manifest those ideals. He has always lived up to his own rules inconsistently. The history of The Smiths, and his solo career-- at least if you believe his biographers-- is a lesson in how to botch and bungle a brand.

But the real lesson is the difference between branding and art: genuine art surpasses mere marketing, and in his art he has been strikingly consistent and true.

Why are you trying to pose as an American? I can smell your stench from 17 miles away. Morrissey is fine. Every fifth word out of the mouth of someone working in PR is a lie. It is proven. I'm more concerned about your PR image and how you come off as a phony, like we wouldn't notice. Put your PR spin that. Here's some advice for you: Don't advise Moz, he knows exactly what he's doing. He doesn't need you or your advice. He does it well, always has, always will. Screw Norway. Screw England and screw all you haters. Go to the OMD website, you'll fit in nicely.

Who do you think this person is?

Back
Top Bottom