Prominent US ‘gay conversion therapist’ comes out as gay

Why did you capitalize hysteria? Are you referring to the Def Leppard album? Or is the condition so important to you that you awarded its name the same grammatical properties as that of a human being?
I was referring to a diagnosis, although outdated. I’m used to capitalizing diagnoses. But props to Def Leppard.

Then I’m sure there’s no need to tell you that the DSM has continued to evolve as new understandings of mental illness revise diagnoses. Like how Hysteria used to be a catch all for any increased emotional states women had. They realized they were wrong to classify homosexuality as an illness and removed it.

Why bring Pluto into this? And for your information, I’ve always been Pro-Pluto. So you are entirely wrong. Again. :)

Bullshit. No psychological understanding has evolved. Sociology spilled their chocolate in Psychology’s peanut butter. End of story. They didn’t remove homosexuality as a mental illness because they “realized they were wrong”...if that were the case, it would have been removed instead of having the name changed multiple times over the years and shifted around like a touchy-feely Catholic priest. It was a political change that occurred under societal pressure.

Since you want to refer to the DSM-5, let’s look at their definition of a mental disorder:

A mental disorder is a syndrome characterized by clinically significant disturbance in an individual's cognition, emotion regulation, or behavior that reflects a dysfunction in the psychological, biological, or developmental processes underlying mental functioning. Mental disorders are usually associated with significant distress in social, occupational, or other important activities. An expectable or culturally approved response to a common stressor or loss, such as the death of a loved one, is not a mental disorder. Socially deviant behavior (e.g., political, religious, or sexual) and conflicts that are primarily between the individual and society are not mental disorders unless the deviance or conflict results from a dysfunction in the individual, as described above.”

What wording, eh? It’s almost like their definition contradicts itself in an effort to please everyone. Funny how bestiality is still considered a mental disorder but homosexuality and bisexuality are not. Gee I wonder why? Let me guess, because an animal can’t consent, right? Well, the pig that made the bacon I had for breakfast this morning didn’t consent either. But being a carnivore isn’t a mental illness now, is it. Because I choose to eat meat. Because society has created tiered acceptability. Homosexuality isn’t a choice. It’s a biological dysfunction by definition...which fits exactly with the DSM-5’s definition of a mental disorder with the exception of their 11th hour caveat of “Society? f*** this shit, we’re out.”

The exact same situation occurred with hysteria, the only difference being it still exists under a different name. Which is odd, because I’d think women would like the safety net of hysteria to fall back on instead of, you know, the alternative that they’re just generally a bunch of impulsive, disagreeable c***s.

Oh, and I’m not wrong about a goddamn thing. :)

my understanding is that Tim Booths, the bald dude from James MAY
be in need of gay therapy.o_O

How much does it go for? hes is pretty much without money.:straightface:

Dr Contarian, I lack the desire to discuss this with you further when it seems all you want is an argument. You’re clearly set in your opinions and a discussion isn’t possible. I’m moving on.

Dr Contarian, I lack the desire to discuss this with you further when it seems all you want is an argument. You’re clearly set in your opinions and a discussion isn’t possible. I’m moving on.
You do this all the time BTW. You jump into politically charged conversations expressing your 'feelings' on the matter and then when someone pushes back with facts or statistics you suddenly can't be 'bothered with it.' I'd have thought by now if you decide to enter the fray in these types of matters on these boards you are best to come locked and loaded.

Still I'm such some Spinsta Sisters will PM you with some solidarity about how awful and bullying VH is and feelings will win the day again, hurrah!!

You do this all the time BTW. You jump into politically charged conversations expressing your 'feelings' on the matter and then when someone pushes back with facts or statistics you suddenly can't be 'bothered with it.' I'd have thought by now if you decide to enter the fray in these types of matters on these boards you are best to come locked and loaded.

Still I'm such some Spinsta Sisters will PM you with some solidarity about how awful and bullying VH is and feelings will win the day again, hurrah!!
She joins the likes of 12 inch and Rifke in that regard and probably a few other people on here. Perhaps they believe that they will come across as young if behaving like snowflakes?

So...a person who disagrees with you and presents a rational, well laid-out counterpoint to your fairly blanket, threadbare claims is someone who "only wants an argument" and with whom you can't have a discussion because...why, exactly ?

She joins the likes of 12 inch and Rifke in that regard and probably a few other people on here. Perhaps they believe that they will come across as young if behaving like snowflakes?
You’d think sme of them are 15, LOL

Beca
So...a person who disagrees with you and presents a rational, well laid-out counterpoint to your fairly blanket, threadbare claims is someone who "only wants an argument" and with whom you can't have a discussion because...why, exactly ?
Because facts........duh! LOL

Bullshit. No psychological understanding has evolved. Sociology spilled their chocolate in Psychology’s peanut butter. End of story. They didn’t remove homosexuality as a mental illness because they “realized they were wrong”...if that were the case, it would have been removed instead of having the name changed multiple times over the years and shifted around like a touchy-feely Catholic priest. It was a political change that occurred under societal pressure.

Since you want to refer to the DSM-5, let’s look at their definition of a mental disorder:

A mental disorder is a syndrome characterized by clinically significant disturbance in an individual's cognition, emotion regulation, or behavior that reflects a dysfunction in the psychological, biological, or developmental processes underlying mental functioning. Mental disorders are usually associated with significant distress in social, occupational, or other important activities. An expectable or culturally approved response to a common stressor or loss, such as the death of a loved one, is not a mental disorder. Socially deviant behavior (e.g., political, religious, or sexual) and conflicts that are primarily between the individual and society are not mental disorders unless the deviance or conflict results from a dysfunction in the individual, as described above.”

What wording, eh? It’s almost like their definition contradicts itself in an effort to please everyone. Funny how bestiality is still considered a mental disorder but homosexuality and bisexuality are not. Gee I wonder why? Let me guess, because an animal can’t consent, right? Well, the pig that made the bacon I had for breakfast this morning didn’t consent either. But being a carnivore isn’t a mental illness now, is it. Because I choose to eat meat. Because society has created tiered acceptability. Homosexuality isn’t a choice. It’s a biological dysfunction by definition...which fits exactly with the DSM-5’s definition of a mental disorder with the exception of their 11th hour caveat of “Society? f*** this shit, we’re out.”

The exact same situation occurred with hysteria, the only difference being it still exists under a different name. Which is odd, because I’d think women would like the safety net of hysteria to fall back on instead of, you know, the alternative that they’re just generally a bunch of impulsive, disagreeable c***s.

How is homosexuality a biological dysfunction?
I believe that what they are defining here "A mental disorder is a syndrome characterized by clinically significant disturbance in an individual's cognition, emotion regulation, or behavior that reflects a dysfunction in the psychological, biological, or developmental processes underlying mental functioning" is three types of mental disorder. A psychological dysfunction might be the result of trauma in an otherwise healthy person. A biological dysfunction could be the result of brain injury. A developmental dysfunction could be something like fetal alcohol syndrome.
As far as homosexuality being reclassified because of political pressure where did that political pressure come from? Society changed and the definition of a mental disorder changed with it. But psychology doesn't exist in a vacuum.
While I don't agree that "they realized they were wrong" I also think it's logical that the understanding of a mental disorder would change with the times. In fact being homosexual in an era where it is a crime would naturally cause more significant distress and would impair psychological functioning.

When you say it is a biological dysfunction can you clarify what you mean? I'm guessing you mean homosexuals are "born this way," but I don't think that question has been resolved. And if being homosexual is biologically determined in what way do you believe it is dysfunctional?

I do not see the contradiction you're pointing out.

I believe that what they are defining here "A mental disorder is a syndrome characterized by clinically significant disturbance in an individual's cognition, emotion regulation, or behavior that reflects a dysfunction in the psychological, biological, or developmental processes underlying mental functioning" is three types of mental disorder. A psychological dysfunction might be the result of trauma in an otherwise healthy person. A biological dysfunction could be the result of brain injury. A developmental dysfunction could be something like fetal alcohol syndrome.
As far as homosexuality being reclassified because of political pressure where did that political pressure come from? Society changed and the definition of a mental disorder changed with it. But psychology doesn't exist in a vacuum.
While I don't agree that "they realized they were wrong" I also think it's logical that the understanding of a mental disorder would change with the times. In fact being homosexual in an era where it is a crime would naturally cause more significant distress and would impair psychological functioning.

When you say it is a biological dysfunction can you clarify what you mean? I'm guessing you mean homosexuals are "born this way," but I don't think that question has been resolved. And if being homosexual is biologically determined in what way do you believe it is dysfunctional?

There’s a lot of “I believe”, “might be” and “could be” in that mess of supposition. Schizophrenia is a mental illness and neurobiological disorder. It occurs naturally, but it is scientifically considered a defect. It’s a defect because it is an interference in the way the brain is biologically meant to work. Homosexuality is exactly the same kind of deviation from biology, neurobiology and evolutionary psychology. If you’re not getting this, I’m not sure it’s possible for me to be more reductive.

Psychology should exist in a vacuum. Science and medicine should not be effected by social trends. An illness is an illness is an illness.

I’ve never once said homosexuality should be criminal.

There’s a lot of “I believe”, “might be” and “could be” in that mess of supposition. Schizophrenia is a mental illness and neurobiological disorder. It occurs naturally, but it is scientifically considered a defect. It’s a defect because it is an interference in the way the brain is biologically meant to work. Homosexuality is exactly the same kind of deviation from biology, neurobiology and evolutionary psychology. If you’re not getting this, I’m not sure it’s possible for me to be more reductive.

Psychology should exist in a vacuum. Science and medicine should not be effected by social trends. An illness is an illness is an illness.

I’ve never once said homosexuality should be criminal.

It's not my style to write as if I had the exclusive line on the truth, so I tend to "believe" that things "might" or "could be," generally.
You bring up schizophrenia to say that it occurs naturally. Yes, the definition of mental disorder states plainly that some of them do occur naturally. I understand that something is not exempt from being considered a mental disorder just because it is naturally occurring.
Then you repeat that homosexuality is a deviation from biology, but you don't explain what you mean, and wrap it up by suggesting that it's my fault for not understanding the point you still haven't made.
How is homosexuality a deviation from biology?
This seems like the old argument "they can't reproduce." Is that what you're getting at?

Psychology is not like mathematics and is going to be affected by changes in the environment.
An illness is an illness, I suppose, but your own post above makes it plain that a deviation from what society deems acceptable is part of the definition of a mental disorder. If society changes the definition changes.

It's not my style to write as if I had the exclusive line on the truth, so I tend to "believe" that things "might" or "could be," generally.
You bring up schizophrenia to say that it occurs naturally. Yes, the definition of mental disorder states plainly that some of them do occur naturally. I understand that something is not exempt from being considered a mental disorder just because it is naturally occurring.
Then you repeat that homosexuality is a deviation from biology, but you don't explain what you mean, and wrap it up by suggesting that it's my fault for not understanding the point you still haven't made.
How is homosexuality a deviation from biology?
This seems like the old argument "they can't reproduce." Is that what you're getting at?

Psychology is not like mathematics and is going to be affected by changes in the environment.
An illness is an illness, I suppose, but your own post above makes it plain that a deviation from what society deems acceptable is part of the definition of a mental disorder. If society changes the definition changes.

I’ve explained it countless times. At this point the only conclusion I can come to is that you either have a learning disability or you just enjoy wasting my time by employing circumlocution.

I’m not going to keep repeating myself. I don’t have the patience for that. I’ve given an answer to everything you have asked at some point in this thread. If you can’t keep up, this discussion is not for you. In fact, I don’t particularly care to correspond with you any further, Jamie.

I’ve explained it countless times. At this point the only conclusion I can come to is that you either have a learning disability or you just enjoy wasting my time by employing circumlocution.

I’m not going to keep repeating myself. I don’t have the patience for that. I’ve given an answer to everything you have asked at some point in this thread. If you can’t keep up, this discussion is not for you. In fact, I don’t particularly care to correspond with you any further, Jamie.

Jesus Christ; it's that piece of shit?

Jesus Christ; it's that piece of shit?

I’d say there is a 90% probability of it. As far as I’m concerned, all I needed to see was mention of an ice cream truck and the insinuation that you’re my own personal Ed McMahon to know who it was.

I’d say there is a 90% probability of it. As far as I’m concerned, all I needed to see was mention of an ice cream truck and the insinuation that you’re my own personal Ed McMahon to know who it was.

image.jpg

Regarding the mental-illness claim: for a mental state to classify as an illness, it generally needs to cause significant distress or impairment of personal functioning. Many homosexuals are rather happy, well-adjusted and comfortable with their sexuality. I can assure you the only thing I think and feel when I wake up in my partners arms is that life is absolutely wonderful.

Needless to say that non-heterosexuals have a higher risk for depression, anxiety and related problems - due to social stigma.

It might also be worth noting in this context that the reason homosexuality got classified as an illness in the first place was the belief that taking it out of the realm of sin and immorality and placing it within the realm of pathology and immaturity would lead to more humane attitudes towards homosexuals, not because of science.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom