problems with wearing moz t shirts????!!!

Bottle of Smoke

Does anyone else have problems when they wear their Morrissey t-shirts?

I own three Moz t-shirts (a 2002 tour t-shirt, a 2004 Quarry tour t-shirt, and a 'My Love Life' t-shirt). I often wear them and wear them with pride but sometimes they seem to attract a lot of attention, often people who look you over and seem to decide you're some kind of nutter or, worse, those idiots who decide it's a good excuse to label you as gay or 'soft' and have a go.

Sorry if this is a bit of a tirade, but I've just got back from the pub and everyone seemed ridiculously fascinated by the fact that I was wearing a Morrissey t-shirt as if being a moz fan was something to be kept under wraps.One bloke even conspiratorially motioned to me and said "morrissey? bit weird innit?". This sort of thing has always happened, even good friends seem a bit uncomfortable at me liking Moz so much (and I don't go on about him or talk about him all the time to them). I'm getting pretty pissed off with it!!!

Does anyone else have problems when they wear their Morrissey t-shirts?

I own three Moz t-shirts (a 2002 tour t-shirt, a 2004 Quarry tour t-shirt, and a 'My Love Life' t-shirt). I often wear them and wear them with pride but sometimes they seem to attract a lot of attention, often people who look you over and seem to decide you're some kind of nutter or, worse, those idiots who decide it's a good excuse to label you as gay or 'soft' and have a go.

Ive been looking for Moz tshirts, in fact! ;)
I like peoples expressions in record stores when I ask about Moz material. Theyre expecting me to ask about the new Pussy Cat dolls or Blink 182 or something....so theyre eyes widen when I say "Morrissey". Amusing!
As for attracting attention for wearing a Moz tshirt, I dont think the attention would bother me, in the slightest. You want negative attention?

Wear a Tom Jones tshirt.:(

I guess it depends on where you live and what kind of places you frequent .. I don't wear his t-shirts anymore but back in times when I did, I attracted only positive feedback, people stopping me on the street to tell me they like him too or similar. I guess he's not really really big here so you either get a positive comment or no comment at all. I would definitely give you thumbs up if I ever saw you (though I guess it'll never happen).

Keep on wearing them as long as they feel comfortable, who cares what some pathetic wanker thinks of it? Hold on to your beer and ignore. Always worked for me ...

Great advise, Demon...I think the same...wear it with pride and always look like you have to be somewhere ...wont give them a chance to bother you;)

I have about 25-odd Morrissey t-shirts any never get any bother, other than people in Queen Is Dead t-shirts from MusicZone or Virgin Megastores coming to talk to me about how great the Smiths were and how shit Morrissey's solo work is, which is greatly annoying, but not a massive problem.

How do you know that the people with TQID t shirts have bought them from Music Zone or Virgin? Especially as there is not a Virgin in Manchester?

The Goat

PS I have absolutely no problem at all apart from wearing my 'How soon is now? t-shirt, with the words written on the back, and kids thinking it is funny to shout out 'How soon is now?' at me. Which I personally love the attention!

Ive been looking for Moz tshirts, in fact! ;)
I like peoples expressions in record stores when I ask about Moz material. Theyre expecting me to ask about the new Pussy Cat dolls or Blink 182 or something....so theyre eyes widen when I say "Morrissey". Amusing!
As for attracting attention for wearing a Moz tshirt, I dont think the attention would bother me, in the slightest. You want negative attention?

Wear a Tom Jones tshirt.:(

Woah, woah, woah, there...Tom Jones is a bad ass mofo.

Well I'd like to think that my girls at aged 14 and 12 are both virgins.
Thankfully they dont live in Wythenshawe so they should be safe.....

The Goat

Only kidding, my Mam was raised in Moss Side (before the 2nd world war) and then Wythenshawe (after the war) and wont hear a bad word said against either district!!

The problem i find is everyone calls me morrissey because it says it on my t-shirt....and after that people just assume my name is morrissey even when i'm not wearing one. :confused:

Whenever I wear a Smiths t-shirt out no one takes much notice since I don't think many people have a clue who they are. Sad, but true. It does have its advantages though.

Whenever I wear a Moz t-shirt, all I get is people smiling at me and coming up to chat to me about him! I was on a train a few weeks back, wearing a Smiths t-shirt, and the 'train manager' was stood talking to me for ages about how he may not be his "cup of tea", but that he "(had) to admit, he still hasn't lost that sparkle"

Maybe these people just don't like your face

:p ;)

I noticed that there's rivery between people in North-East and North-West, possibly relating to football.
When I saw The Smiths in New Castle in 1986, a pathetic bugger spat on Morrissey at encore. That's totally unacceptable. We're so sad and angry that an uncivilized individual ruined everything.
I assume because you live in Durham, many people have negative feeling about anything to do with Manchester.

Last edited:
I noticed that there's rivery between people in North-East and North-West, possibly relating to football.
When I saw The Smiths in New Castle in 1986, a pathetic bugger spat on Morrissey at encore. That's totally unacceptable. We're so sad and angry that an uncivilized individual ruined everything.
I assume because you live in Durahm, many people have negative feeling about anything to do with Manchester.

Why would you pay to go to a gig just to spit on the singer? Haha that's trag

But wait! I'm from West Yorkshire. I can't believe any Geordie rivalries match the ill feeling between Yorkshire and Lancashire... ;)

Oh, I know...Ive shamelessly enjoyed three of his concerts but the looks you get from wearing a "Whats New PussyCat" tshirt!:p

Can you imagine what people say when you have a shirt that says "Sexbomb"? Bad things man...bad things....

How do you know that the people with TQID t shirts have bought them from Music Zone or Virgin? Especially as there is not a Virgin in Manchester?

The Goat

PS I have absolutely no problem at all apart from wearing my 'How soon is now? t-shirt, with the words written on the back, and kids thinking it is funny to shout out 'How soon is now?' at me. Which I personally love the attention!

Well I'm sure there used to be.... :confused:

Was there not one in Picc on the street that goes down the Arndale?

the only problem i've ever had wearing moz t-shirts is that people talk to me. grr people.

the only problem i've ever had wearing moz t-shirts is that people talk to me. grr people.

Haha exactly. And whenever I see someone in a Smiths t-shirt, I'll always at least smile at them. I hope not everyone finds this display of friendliness and solidarity so painful! :D

Back
Top Bottom