Prince had died

I rarely shed tears for the passing of celebrities but Prince was close to my heart and therefore his death has hit me hard as a fan. I've been buying his albums for years right up until now and his music has Never lost that funkadelic drive. Hail to the purple yoda! Rest in peace my sweet prince.
im sorry. a lot of people think it's silly to cry when celebrities die, but i dont think it is at all. i think it's beautiful, poetic. a way of paying homage to the beauty of the world that produces every now and again a person who through our objective admiration of them allows us a glimpse of the full truth of hermann hesses word that "every man is more than just himself; he also represents the unique, the very special and always significant point at which the world's phenomena intersect, only once in this way, and never again". you should buy yourself flowers!

im sorry. a lot of people think it's silly to cry when celebrities die, but i dont think it is at all. i think it's beautiful, poetic. a way of paying homage to the beauty of the world that produces every now and again a person who through our objective admiration of them allows us a glimpse of the full truth of hermann hesses word that "every man is more than just himself; he also represents the unique, the very special and always significant point at which the world's phenomena intersect, only once in this way, and never again". you should buy yourself flowers!
I half agree (maybe slightly more) with you. I slightly cried when John Kennedy Junior died and same when the great Kirsty M died. I was asked once what I would like my funeral to be like, I could only answer as long as it wasn't attended by Voyeurs I didn't care. When Phillip Schofield and Ant and Pec are lamenting your passing, that to me is the real tragedy.

good on you for reading worth while authors. gertrude was a beautiful book about love and inspiration while journey to the east was likewise inspiring

ive only read steppenwolf and demian by hermann hesse. i think he's great though (a fact i dont always admit because once when i did the person asked me if i also listened to nine inch nails while cutting myself, what a jerk)

demien is great though im so so as to steppenwolf. gertrude like i said is beautiful and is about a mediocre compower who becomews lame durring a skie accident and misses out on the love of his life as she chooses another more fit specimen of masculinity and the pain of this inspires him to greatness that leaves him after the sorrow does. journey to the east is much to hard to describe here even though it is very short. narcissus and goldman is also one of his best and probably my second fav of his work. i have no idea what connection hess would have to either nine inch nails or cutting so id just take that to be nonsense unless im missing something. i do like nine inch nails though trent is not the person the music or press maes him out to be. hes very very boring computer nerd which is fine but the idea of him being an angry suffering goth anywhere outside of his music is just false. misconception is interesting though, like when people find out stephen jenkins from third eye blind wasnt a strung out junkie who couldnt graduate but was rather a berkley lit grad who was a great writer of fiction. i really love that band especial ursa major

i think i liked demian better than steppenwolf too. gertrude sounds great--like my kinda thing--i should check that out. i think he said that because hermann hesse seems like one of those stereotypical things that angsty teenage tryhards would like. and while that may be true, it's also true that hermann hesse is a great writer besides this, so just because you read him doesnt mean you are one of those people. so you're right, it was nonsense (this was one of those hard to please people who didnt like anything that wasnt dostoevsky). i hardly even know anything by nine inch nails (although i do like what i've heard, which has always made me think i should try to find out more about it).

I'm not a giant nine inch nails fan but I enjoy the albums and read his bio when I was bored one day which I honestly found really boring. I don't really equate Hess with agnst the way i do with say sgoldman and have never confronted that stereotype but that doesn't mean that people don't hold it I guess. Maybe its a thing more where your from than from where I originate. My mother was really into him and I first read her copies. Try reading up on Hesse's life as well and you can see how if super influenced his writing was by personal experience which can make it less abstract and more authentic especially the novel narciuss and goldman

i've been on a reading spurt lately after not having read anything for years, so i feel like i have a lot of catching up to do. i have a ton of books as well, but unlike you most of them have never been read. it's kinda fun to go to my bookshelf and see what i have there that i had forgotten about ever buying. unfortunately my eyes hurt too much right now to read anything, but hopefully that will resolve itself soon.

why have them if you dont read them. do you just like collecting them. reading fiction has always been my lifelong pursuit hobby love etc though i do love other stuff like bios both musical and other along with cultural essays like 24 hour economy peoples history. i just got done the billy idol bio and for someone who doesnt like his music or have much interest in him i came away with the opinion that he could write much better than i expected and that i liked his honesty and apparent sincerity. his writing was much more unapologeticly poetic than i would have guessed. also read not long ago the bernard sumner bio and while i dont care for new order either he also came off as very interesting in his coldness, not unfeeling but dry directness which i could relate to, and his story of marr running into the pole while probably checking himself out in the store window was very funny to me. about to reread the basketball diaries tomorrow which should take like an hour it goes by so fast

Another thread that rifke managed to turn into a thread about rifke.

This is about Prince. Get a f***ing blog.

Wouldnt surprise me if rifke is posting as anonymous and having a conversation with himself

Wouldnt surprise me if rifke is posting as anonymous and having a conversation with himself

No I'm the anon talking to him or her and you can see the hash tag saying who I am. It is ironic though that you are now talking about him her but just in complain t form. Are u rifke

Prince's death has really hit me hard. I'm a fan of the early years through mid-ninties. But, the album Purple Rain is very important to me for a lot of personal reasons. Though I had not followed his music for a while now, I still had great respect for him and I loved him tremendously. He is missed. I am not ashamed to say I've cried. I think his passing along with Bowie's has left a giant black hole in the music industry.

ive only read steppenwolf and demian by hermann hesse. i think he's great though (a fact i dont always admit because once when i did the person asked me if i also listened to nine inch nails while cutting myself, what a jerk)

I've had a similar experience with Hesse. My uncle once asked me what I'd been reading lately and I told him Herman Hesse. He quickly replied that "Hesse is something that college kids read when they're trying to figure themselves out". I sadly admit that I did let it affect me for awhile. I've since recovered and read Demian a few years ago and enjoyed Herman's words once more. Perhaps I have the mark of Cain or something.

I did enjoy your Hesse quote regarding Prince and yes I was teary eyed from his passing. How could anyone listen to "Sometimes It Snows In April" and not tear up.

Last edited:
I've had a similar experience with Hesse. My uncle once asked me what I'd been reading lately and I told him Herman Hesse. He quickly replied that "Hesse is something that college kids read when they're trying to figure themselves out". I sadly admit that I did let it affect me for awhile. I've since recovered and read Demian a few years ago and enjoyed Herman's words once more. Perhaps I have the mark of Cain or something.

I did enjoy your Hesse quote regarding Prince and yes I was teary eyed from his passing. How could anyone listen to "Sometimes It Snows In April" and not tear up.

yes, exactly. i would say i wonder what hermann hesse thinks of that stigma, but im afraid im not allowed to comment on anything that isnt prince :p (i do like what hermann hesse has to say regardless of this stigma. i can appreciate what he says in demian about society or schools or whatever being geared toward the mediocre)

so i will say that i wasnt that familiar with prince to genuinely mourn him. i do,however, remember being briefly entranced by him when i was young and just discovering the wonderful world of girly men.

Last edited:
yes, exactly. i would say i wonder what hermann hesse thinks of that stigma, but im afraid im not allowed to comment on anything that isnt prince :p (i do like what hermann hesse has to say regardless of this stigma. i can appreciate what he says in demian about society or schools or whatever being geared toward the mediocre)

so i will say that i wasnt that familiar with prince to genuinely mourn him. i do,however, remember being briefly entranced by him when i was young and just discovering the wonderful world of girly men.

then ill comment on hess. read his other works especially gertrude and narcissus as he other things to say as well. im afraid that the books everyones made to read are not his best though all of his work is good but the two i mentioned are much more complex (which is probably why they dont make college students read them). also rifke why dont you just go out and try to meet an american author as they live all over. amis lives in brooklyn for instance and im sure goes out at some point, probably for smoke. im nt saying stalk and if i saw him in his neighborhood id say something to him. clancey lived in baltimore for a while complaining about his taxes

then ill comment on hess. read his other works especially gertrude and narcissus as he other things to say as well. im afraid that the books everyones made to read are not his best though all of his work is good but the two i mentioned are much more complex (which is probably why they dont make college students read them). also rifke why dont you just go out and try to meet an american author as they live all over. amis lives in brooklyn for instance and im sure goes out at some point, probably for smoke. im nt saying stalk and if i saw him in his neighborhood id say something to him. clancey lived in baltimore for a while complaining about his taxes
i live in canada. on the west coast. nobody famous lives here, just a bunch of hippie stoner fortune tellers. :( martin amis? i love him! i wish i could meet him! i think im going to be a vagabond and just travel around from one place to the next, that seems to be the most likely way ill ever meet worthwhile people.
i will definitely keep those two titles in mind for when i get through the pile of books that are already waiting to be read. thanks for the recommendation!

Back
Top Bottom