Preorder (Suede) "The Blue Hour" (CD/Vinyl/Box Set - Signed)

It's hard not to view Head Music as a vision never realized ... Brett later said that they never captured the sound he was going for and when he later heard Beck's Midnight Vultures... it was exactly what he wanted. Which honestly, is an odd choice for them, IMO. Also, Brett was pretty drugged up during the recording by his own admission so have to wonder how much that might have impacted the final product? HM was never a favorite of mine but it was interesting at the time to see several friends who never cared for Suede proclaim their love of that album. Go figure. I don't know, it was like Coming Up lite or something.

I've also felt that ANM is an underappreciated gem. Yes, it's very flawed but I still love songs like "Oceans" and "When The Rain Falls." I'm glad you mentioned the lack of vocal effects on ANM - they were in overuse in CU and HM. It was nice just to hear the beauty of Brett's voice again. Yes, with ANM they do sound tired but mostly like a band without direction.

I loved The Tears and some of Brett's solo work, so disbanding when they did seemed like the right creative decision. Never guessed that we'd get a brilliant Suede 2.0 (or it more like 3.0 now?).

I loved the tears myself. The album was maybe a song or two long but it's superb imo and the b side I love is break away. My opinion of the post Bernard suede albums changes a lot but I still love them flaws and all and they get played quite a bit. I. Personally glad that suede didn't achieve the sound you're talking about as I'm not that into tricky or beck. I think headmusoc is a good album but mostly I think the problem was that drugs
kept Brett from listening to anyone other than himself and at that point his judgement was uneven and so the album came out uneven. If I skip a few songs I still get an album I really enjoy. I didn't mention it above but I also thought the effects on down didn't really help it and were just distracting. It could have been a center point of naked vulnerability if he had kept it acoustic, a pullback from the overall sound of the album, and it would have been much more emotionally powerful. As to a new morning I think the band was just stressed and the recording sessions going the way they did probably contributed to the whole let's just push this thing out. I still love lonely girls beautiful loser positivity etc. coming up is a weird one for me. I like it a lot of course but for me it gets overshadowed by its b sides. Young men this time together Sadie Europe is our playground bentwood boys another no one are better imo than a lot of what's on coming up. I'm also one of the few suede fans who thinks trash is just an alright song rather than the highlight of the album. If they had mixed those besides with say into the sea beautiful ones chemistry it would have been an album I'd be over the moon with even if it was a departure from the first two records. In a lot of ways I could say the same about a new morning. B sides like you belong to me secret song oceans simon cheap instant sunshine rainy day girl we're better than a good bit of what was on a new morning. I love the outro of rainy day girl

Blue Hour in the midweeks battling it out for number 1. But the week is long and they’d be happy with a top-3 finish I reckon.

1. Christine and the Queens - Chris (8,139) *
2 Suede - The Blue Hour (8,139) *
3 Eminem - Kamikaze (8,104)
4 Slash - Living The Dream (feat. Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators) (7,347) *
5 Motion Picture Cast Recording - The Greatest Showman (6,715)

*new

Blue Hour in the midweeks battling it out for number 1. But the week is long and they’d be happy with a top-3 finish I reckon.

1. Christine and the Queens - Chris (8,139) *
2 Suede - The Blue Hour (8,139) *
3 Eminem - Kamikaze (8,104)
4 Slash - Living The Dream (feat. Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators) (7,347) *
5 Motion Picture Cast Recording - The Greatest Showman (6,715)

*new

Just downloaded it because of the mentions here. Very strong album.

As we all know music sales are not what they used to be, to the listener the charts do not and should not matter.
This really is an excellent Suede album, perhaps the best since they got back together.
Life is Golden, The Invisibles and Flytipping, to name but three, are classics in the making.
Hats off to them, chart or no chart.

The Blue Hour is indeed a great album. I have had some troubles with my knee, so I haven't been able to run since the summer -- and now after beginning physio therapy I went for a tentative run/walk for two hours. And only then I truly realized how great the album is. Basically every "proper" track sounds like a highlight and the experimental shorter tracks fill the seams perfectly. Life Is Golden is a classic Suede single and Beyond The Outskirts and Cold Hands supplement The Wild Ones and New Generation on Dog Man Star. Plus the closing triptych is indeed their best attempt of matching DMS's end stretch. As much as I liked Night Thoughts, that was held back by a mid-tempo mid- quality mid-stretch, but I have no such complaints here.

Of course they can't match Dog Man Star, because they had the youth (their and ours!) on their side then plus Bernard Butler then, but for me this is easily their second strongest studio album.

Bloody Marvellous song! I never thought they would become urban depressive with so poignant and profound lyrics!

Life is golden was really great. Best song on any of the three comeback albums. Sounds extremely confident and for as big as it gets it remains a little restrained/understated. More sure of itself

What a fantastic album, surprised how strong it is.

Tags
suede the blue hour
Back
Top Bottom