Preorder (Suede) "The Blue Hour" (CD/Vinyl/Box Set - Signed)

I'm surprised hardly any of their UK-shows have sold out yet, luckily the one I'm attending has.
And yes, the new songs sound amazing.

I'm surprised hardly any of their UK-shows have sold out yet, luckily the one I'm attending has.
And yes, the new songs sound amazing.
People moved on and gone are the days gigs sold out in a flash.

I pre-ordered 2 signed copies of the cd and am seeing them live in London on 12 th October. I wish I knew they were also going to play the Saturday there as well then I wouldn't have to use a half days holiday leave from work to see them. Should be a great gig though, I am looking forward to it.

Thanks SuedeMoz for the heads up on getting signed albums.

I pre-ordered 2 signed copies of the cd and am seeing them live in London on 12 th October. I wish I knew they were also going to play the Saturday there as well then I wouldn't have to use a half days holiday leave from work to see them. Should be a great gig though, I am looking forward to it.

Seeing Suede in Galway for the Night Thoughts tour was amazing, with the bonus of holding Brett's hand while he stood among the crowd. Unbelievably energetic singer. Listening to the new album and loving it.

Awesome! I just got an email a couple of days ago that my order shipped.

Not too fond of the intermissions, but a pretty solid Suede-album all around.
Wastelands and Tides so far my fave of the songs we hadn’t heard.

Very excited about it. I'm waiting for the whole album to be released so I can listen to it back to back. I had the chance to listen to ''Life is Golden'' though. Classic Suede!

==============

Edited: I just checked spotify and it's full on!

Even better than the two previous comeback albums, which were pretty good. But I do miss Brett as a composer -- he has said that from Bloodsports onwards he has given writing the music to Oakes and Codling, because the string of solo albums sort of burned him out and he didn't want the new Suede stuff sound like his own records. But surely it's time for him to go back to the piano, because this new trilogy of albums sort of lacks the heady melodicism of the big Suede ballads, even when strings et al are included in the mix. Songs like As One and Flytipping are more oppressively grandiose than truly beautiful.

Even better than the two previous comeback albums, which were pretty good. But I do miss Brett as a composer -- he has said that from Bloodsports onwards he has given writing the music to Oakes and Codling, because the string of solo albums sort of burned him out and he didn't want the new Suede stuff sound like his own records. But surely it's time for him to go back to the piano, because this new trilogy of albums sort of lacks the heady melodicism of the big Suede ballads, even when strings et al are included in the mix. Songs like As One and Flytipping are more oppressively grandiose than truly beautiful.

I agree to a degree. Sometimes it feels like there’s a little bit of disconnect melodically between the vocals and the music like Brett almost fits his vocal melody in but not quite. This isn’t the case on all the songs though as life is golden is superb and super smooth. Granted Brett can be a limited musician but when he writes his own songs and has others beef up the music it can often result in a more powerful song imo. I can also agree with the bigness not quite equaling greatness issue but really the albums have all surpassed my expectations from when they first announced a comeback

I can also agree with the bigness not quite equaling greatness issue but really the albums have all surpassed my expectations from when they first announced a comeback

I absolutely agree. They are totally superior to Head Music and A New Morning and all Brett solos except Black Rainbows (which was quite good, although not as good as Suede albums after that).

I absolutely agree. They are totally superior to Head Music and A New Morning and all Brett solos except Black Rainbows (which was quite good, although not as good as Suede albums after that).

I’m a super fan of the band and as a result I think it can appear that I’m more critical of them than I am in reality. I’ve come to really like headmusic and have just accepted the frustrating unevenness of it and with a new morning I’ve just accepted the light triteness of the album and just save it for days when I want some hooks that only suede in that time could deliver. I really liked Brett’s solo music though I think they all have some faults but with his solo albums I had different or less expectations. Wilderness and slow attack are probably my favs with slow attack maybe edging. The biggest problem I probably have with the solo albums was maybe the pacing and at times that guitar tone he seems to love (maybe it’s his love of the fall I don’t know but it bugged me). Some of the bsides were really good as well like mother night unstoppable forest lullaby we could be anyone. Anyway despite my nitpicking comments they should be proud

I’m a super fan of the band and as a result I think it can appear that I’m more critical of them than I am in reality. I’ve come to really like headmusic and have just accepted the frustrating unevenness of it and with a new morning I’ve just accepted the light triteness of the album and just save it for days when I want some hooks that only suede in that time could deliver. I really liked Brett’s solo music though I think they all have some faults but with his solo albums I had different or less expectations. Wilderness and slow attack are probably my favs with slow attack maybe edging. The biggest problem I probably have with the solo albums was maybe the pacing and at times that guitar tone he seems to love (maybe it’s his love of the fall I don’t know but it bugged me). Some of the bsides were really good as well like mother night unstoppable forest lullaby we could be anyone. Anyway despite my nitpicking comments they should be proud

I loved Head Music when it came out for about three weeks, because I was so desperate for new Suede material. But in the years since I've grown to detest it -- even the better songs like She's In Fashion and Everything Will Flow. It's all so vapid and empty-headed, over-produced and garish. And the b-sides of the era are more like d-sides. When the reissues came out some years ago, I found the whole package unlistenable to listen.

A New Morning came out after such long delays and my realization how horrible Head Music was, so I've always found it a pleasant little album. Trite it is, but at least it doesn't try to impress, and there are some nice melodies on it. But having to choose between ANM and Head Music, I'll pick the first any time.

The Tears album is alright, but after such huge expectations it seemed like a disappointment at the time. Brett was still treading water as a lyricist, and Bernard made the production sound like it was recorded in a tin barrel, but there is some magic there: especially in the slower epics near the end and in the b-side Southern Rain, the best Tears song in my opinion.

BTW: has anybody heard Manipulation, the extra track on the Blue Hour deluxe package?

I loved Head Music when it came out for about three weeks, because I was so desperate for new Suede material. But in the years since I've grown to detest it -- even the better songs like She's In Fashion and Everything Will Flow. It's all so vapid and empty-headed, over-produced and garish. And the b-sides of the era are more like d-sides. When the reissues came out some years ago, I found the whole package unlistenable to listen.

A New Morning came out after such long delays and my realization how horrible Head Music was, so I've always found it a pleasant little album. Trite it is, but at least it doesn't try to impress, and there are some nice melodies on it. But having to choose between ANM and Head Music, I'll pick the first any time.

The Tears album is alright, but after such huge expectations it seemed like a disappointment at the time. Brett was still treading water as a lyricist, and Bernard made the production sound like it was recorded in a tin barrel, but there is some magic there: especially in the slower epics near the end and in the b-side Southern Rain, the best Tears song in my opinion.

BTW: has anybody heard Manipulation, the extra track on the Blue Hour deluxe package?

I disagree about headmusic. It might be a little substance free or maybe the substance is to much about a few substances but I think it sounds really good. Hi if asbestos Indian strings he's gone all sound really good to me and electricity everything will flow and she's in fashion were good singles imo. Head music and elephant man were a little tedious to say the least and I really don't like can't get enough (boring) and yes savior fair had some iffy lyrics that got under your skin but I've come to just accept the flaws of the album. It's hard for me to remember which besides belong to the album now as I've listened and mixed them with other besides on playlists so much but leaving girl and let go were I thought both really good. A new morning I liked fine but the band sounds tired. There's nothing wrong with songs like beautiful loser but the performance just lacks the energy to bring it alive. I was happy to see that the vocal effects that I hated on coming up were largely ditched though

I disagree about headmusic. It might be a little substance free or maybe the substance is to much about a few substances but I think it sounds really good. Hi if asbestos Indian strings he's gone all sound really good to me and electricity everything will flow and she's in fashion were good singles imo. Head music and elephant man were a little tedious to say the least and I really don't like can't get enough (boring) and yes savior fair had some iffy lyrics that got under your skin but I've come to just accept the flaws of the album. It's hard for me to remember which besides belong to the album now as I've listened and mixed them with other besides on playlists so much but leaving girl and let go were I thought both really good. A new morning I liked fine but the band sounds tired. There's nothing wrong with songs like beautiful loser but the performance just lacks the energy to bring it alive. I was happy to see that the vocal effects that I hated on coming up were largely ditched though

It's hard not to view Head Music as a vision never realized ... Brett later said that they never captured the sound he was going for and when he later heard Beck's Midnight Vultures... it was exactly what he wanted. Which honestly, is an odd choice for them, IMO. Also, Brett was pretty drugged up during the recording by his own admission so have to wonder how much that might have impacted the final product? HM was never a favorite of mine but it was interesting at the time to see several friends who never cared for Suede proclaim their love of that album. Go figure. I don't know, it was like Coming Up lite or something.

I've also felt that ANM is an underappreciated gem. Yes, it's very flawed but I still love songs like "Oceans" and "When The Rain Falls." I'm glad you mentioned the lack of vocal effects on ANM - they were way overused on CU and HM. It was nice just to hear the beauty of Brett's voice again. Yes, with ANM they do sound tired but mostly like a band without creative direction.

I loved The Tears and some of Brett's solo work, so disbanding when they did seems in hindsight as the right creative decision. Never guessed that we'd get a brilliant Suede 2.0 (or is it more like 3.0 now?).

Last edited:
Tags
suede the blue hour
Back
Top Bottom