Poster Framing

karelMoz

Quite a while ago i've bought three huge Smiths Posters (Strangeways, world won't listen and bigmouth), each one measures 60X40". When i went to some framing stores they all wanted around $300 for framing which is insane as I paid around 50 per poster. Anyone has suggestions (other than reselling them ;-) ) or knows a place that can do that in the NY/NJ area?

Thanks.

Framing is insanely expensive. Best best is to get a Michael's or JoAnn craft stores coupon out of your Sunday paper. Look for one that offers 50% off your whole framing order. Choose plexi instead of glass, that cuts the cost down. I just had two 15x48 ish posters framed very simply for one of the bedrooms in my house and they were about $150 each with an inexpensive metal frame and plexi.

Also- if you have one of those poster stores in your nearest mall, they might do it cheaply.

There are also catalogs where you can order framing components and do it yourself. I think Light Impressions is one. Look online.

If those posters say something about Capital Studios on the bottom, those are real promo subway posters. $300 really isn't that much, I went to a local "discount" place here in SF and they wanted $600 each.

I ended up having mine done in Los Angeles. I used acid-free backing, which won't discolor the posters after a long time like most other backings will. Real Plexiglas is better than glass. If the frame falls from the wall or is dropped while moving, the glass could break, cutting the poster. Plexiglas is a word often used synonymously with acrylic sheeting, like how Kleenex is with facial tissue, but real Plexiglas is the best acrylic sheeting. The type I used is UV resistant, meaning the posters won't fade when exposed to direct sunlight.

Metal framing is better than wood, as wood has natural acids in it which could stain the borders of the poster.

I consider the posters to be works of art, which should be preserved for antiquity. If you think of it in those terms, $300 each isn't all that much. Just be sure they use quality materials. So many people have generic crap on their walls, like Ansel Adams photographs or those lame reproductions of '30s French advertisements. If you plan on loving The Smiths for the rest of your life, I would say it's worth the expense. It's only money, I'm sure you'll make more. If you can't afford to now, then roll them up in a nice sturdy tube for sake keeping until you can. Do it once, do it right. It's cheaper that way.

And you were correct in posting this in the COLLECTORS FORUM, as it's a question about a collectible, not something you are looking to sell or buy. Overzealous moderator alert.

beausapt1.jpg

Last edited:
Wow amazing posters!!

I do consider all the Smiths sleeves pure art and probably the most beautiful sleeves in all music. It's a shame that Moz dropped this in his solo career (basically apart from the Viva Hate era all the other sleeves are quite lame).

Thanks for the tips I will consider that, and yes I will probably die loving the Smiths and buried with all the rare lp's and cd's ;)

I didn't check for the logo but I am quite sure they are not reproduction, come to think of it I have loads more in my parents home in Israel which I bought way back in 1990 but they are not in good condition anymore, shame.

Oh and I really don't know why they moved this thread here....

Yeah, it is definitely the GLASS which makes framing so expensive. I always use the U/V blocking glass, which protects from fading.

EDIT: After reading above, I didn't realize there was U/V-blocking plexi! Awesome!! Save me a few pennies from now on.

Framing is insanely expensive. Best best is to get a Michael's or JoAnn craft stores coupon out of your Sunday paper. Look for one that offers 50% off your whole framing order. Choose plexi instead of glass, that cuts the cost down. I just had two 15x48 ish posters framed very simply for one of the bedrooms in my house and they were about $150 each with an inexpensive metal frame and plexi.

Also- if you have one of those poster stores in your nearest mall, they might do it cheaply.

There are also catalogs where you can order framing components and do it yourself. I think Light Impressions is one. Look online.

Michaels will not frame anything that size. If you were quoted $300, thats actually a REALLY GOOD price for that size to have custom framed.

Last edited:
I've never heard of non-acidic glass or plastic.

yes normal glass when in contact with delicate items is very acidic and can break down the poster or picture due to moisture etc. So whenever i get stuff framed i use glass with a very low level of acidity - i donpt know too much of the technical stuff but i can tell the difference between stuff that i have framed professional and other items i have put in frames with normal glass

I hope this helps

I've done some Google searching and can't find any information on non-acidic glass. Could you perhaps direct me to a link where it is discussed?

I've done some Google searching and can't find any information on non-acidic glass. Could you perhaps direct me to a link where it is discussed?

You know alot yes but you don;t know everything. I had it done locally and it is a glass that does not react with the paper i used for my poster paper or shirts

Now do something useful and help me out on the BBC white label thread i posted a few days back

You're right, I don't know everything, which is why I was asking questions.

I had over 20 posters framed by the woman who wrote the article you linked to. She knows her stuff. But I still didn't see anything about acid-free glass.

yes normal glass when in contact with delicate items is very acidic and can break down the poster or picture due to moisture etc. So whenever i get stuff framed i use glass with a very low level of acidity - i donpt know too much of the technical stuff but i can tell the difference between stuff that i have framed professional and other items i have put in frames with normal glass

I hope this helps
There is acid free foam core to get it mounted to and acid free matting if you want it matted. But the the glass is regular, non glare or uv protected which will protect the light from fading the poster. There is also uv protected plexi-glass....

Back
Top Bottom