Poster for "Stop Me..." Did they ever produce one?

Dave2006

I'm in the process of collecting the record shop / promo posters for the Smiths singles and albums.

Given that "Stop me..." was never released in the UK (it was pulled at the last minute) were any promo posters ever produced for it? - It was planned as a single, did they do any promotional stuff for it before it was pulled?

It was released in other countries (Germany, Australia, USA & Holland) with the same Murray Head sleeve but in different colours (red, yellow, grey and blue) - did these countries produce posters for it?

Any info would be very much appreciated.

While I can't say that it definitively does not exist, I can say that I've been collecting Smiths promo posters for many years and that I've never seen one.

I've also never seen a small (11.5" x 23") poster for Louder Than Bombs, although I've heard rumours that one exists. Can anyone add anything?

Cheers,
Scott

While I can't say that it definitively does not exist, I can say that I've been collecting Smiths promo posters for many years and that I've never seen one.

I've also never seen a small (11.5" x 23") poster for Louder Than Bombs, although I've heard rumours that one exists. Can anyone add anything?

Cheers,
Scott

Check here, if I remember right you can buy it from this guys collection for about $100 USD.

http://www.morrisseymadness.co.uk/posters.htm

BR

Is that still a funtional "live" source for those items? For some reason I thought it was no longer maintained.

Is that still a funtional "live" source for those items? For some reason I thought it was no longer maintained.

I thought it had too, I recall a post from his wife somewhere in the forums saying that they were getting divorced etc, and she said the site was no longer going.

I dont know for sure...I havent purchased anything from there for years. I was mainly posting it so the chap who asked about the Louder than bombs promo poster could see that it does exist.

Good question though. Someone would have to email them to findo out if they are still operational.

Best of Luck

BR

Here is their contact info that is posted on their website:
call us on 01606 738864 or 07990 516734
email: [email protected]

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, that seller no longer has those items for sale.

As far as I can tell, the Louder Than Bombs poster that he's listed is the larger one, even though the description says otherwise (notice that the images of all of the other 11.5"x23" posters lie completely within the photos, whereas the Louder Than Bombs poster is cropped. I'm pretty sure that this is because it's much larger.)

Hey All,

I just talk to Mike @ http://www.morrisseymadness.co.uk/posters.htm
The following is his answer as to if he was still in business and selling Smiths and Morrissey merchandise.

"Hi There,

Yes, we are still actively selling so order away lol.

Regards Mike"

Soooooooooooooooo there ya go. Check his stuff out and get those rare promotional posters you need.

BR

P.S. He is a phenominal source of information on Smiths rarities, so ask him your questions if you don't know.//

Last edited:
That's bizarre. I just wrote to him and he doesn't respond.

Perhaps he's upset that I complained when an award disc that I spent a LOT of money on showed up damaged. In his words "It's old, so it's no surprise that it's damaged." Funny that I own several others that cost me less that are pristine.

Can someone else ask him about the Louder poster for me?

He has just started selling his stuff on ebay...

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZhang_the_dj1

getting good prices for some of his stuff. Better than he was asking for on his website

http://search-completed.ebay.co.uk/...action=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search

I've just bought 4 posters from him (outside of ebay) he has multiple copies of some. To be honest, I didn't realise it was the same guy until I just saw his email address on a post above, when I was negotiating a price for the posters I bought I used his site as a guide. Doh!

Still, I managed to avoid the scrum of the last second bid on ebay.

Last edited:
But did you see his charges for p+p on ebay.
£7 in UK and £10 for all others. What a rip off. I'm interested in a couple but thats just wrong. I buy a good few 12x24 posters on ebay and the actual postage cost is £1.19 in tube or £2.49 flat.

I am doubtful that any poster was made for Stop Me. The Hungerford Massacre happened just 5 days after the release of Girlfriend In A Coma. I don't think they would have already drafted up artwork so soon.

Louder Than Bombs was the very last Smiths release on Rough Trade, coming out a few months after Rank. Since it was more of a UK issue of an already available US release, they might have forgone traditional promotion.

He has just started selling his stuff on ebay...

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZhang_the_dj1

getting good prices for some of his stuff. Better than he was asking for on his website

http://search-completed.ebay.co.uk/...action=compare&copagenum=1&coentrypage=search

I've just bought 4 posters from him (outside of ebay) he has multiple copies of some. To be honest, I didn't realise it was the same guy until I just saw his email address on a post above, when I was negotiating a price for the posters I bought I used his site as a guide. Doh!

Still, I managed to avoid the scrum of the last second bid on ebay.

I don't want to tip this into "marketplace"...but I thought an update would be useful.

The 4 posters that I bought arrived today - I think I've paid substantially less than I would have if I'd left it till the last minute on eBay. I've bought Ask, Meat is Murder, How Soon is Now and That Joke Isn't funny anymore - all in beautiful condition (in fact Meat is the only one that has a fold in the middle where it was stuffed into a record.)

They were securely packaged - but the other person was right £7 is expensive - although I negotiated free p&p with the price.

I spoke to him last night as well - just to clear up the confusion in earlier posts (from grlmopz) the Louder Than Bombs poster is not 12x24 it's just that the weblisting is wrong :)

Happy collecting - I only have 4 or 5 still to collect!

Back
Top Bottom