Post Whatever You Are Thinking At This Very Moment

Another try
20201013_080429.jpg

Watercolor is the hardest one to get right. Acrylics are much more forgiving and can be thinned with water or mixed with mediums to kind of get water color effects. Oils let you work on lots of subtle layers and are my favorite except that the cleanup is harder and there are more toxic chemicals.
You could get some acrylic paints and experiment, but it does look like you're working with different techniques and that's good. You can also try copying other people's watercolor paintings and I'm sure there are videos about this. It won't be what you want but you can learn how to get different effects and use it in your own work.
Try to see as many watercolors in person as you can and if they are not available look at books and photos online and try to imagine how the effects were done.
Also lots of times people take classes and then quit and have good paints, brushes, etc, so you can find really good deals on ebay for sets that are lightly used. Good brushes make a big difference.
You blow my mind. An expert on everything!

I'm finding painting, in my peaceful apartment, to be therapeutic. I've started writing, and cleaning, to pass the time while the paint dries.

Self-praise. :thumb:

🤒
Fake C will be posting momentarily, soon as his KMart shift is over. He has to stay longer to lysol the aisles.:squiffy:
soon as hes back he will be posting more art advice.
loves art as long as he dont have to pull paper out of his pocket to buy any.:blushing:

🤒
Fake C will be posting momentarily, soon as his KMart shift is over. He has to stay longer to lysol the aisles.:squiffy:
soon as hes back he will be posting more art advice.
loves art as long as he dont have to pull paper out of his pocket to buy any.:blushing:
Custodial art advice connoisseur and gumshoe detective Fake C is struggling to
provide samples of his self-reflective portraits between his Kmart clean-up breaks.

28881.jpg
29555.jpg

His thrifty collected works, "Mirror Me, Please Don't Untie the Knot!"
isn't exactly getting off the ground.

proxy-image

Custodial art advice connoisseur and gumshoe detective Fake C is struggling to
provide samples of his self-reflective portraits between his Kmart clean-up breaks.

28881.jpg
29555.jpg

His thrifty collected works, "Mirror Me, Please Don't Untie the Knot!"
isn't exactly getting off the ground.

proxy-image
29555.jpg
28881.jpg

Those goo-goo eyes. It might get off the ground now. :love: :flowers::kiss:

@Light Housework I think your self portrait was your best work but there is something happening with your technique that seems like you're getting more comfortable getting the paint to do what you want.
There are two things happening. One is the paint and I think the more you work with it the better you will get. The other is the drawing. Because you were working from a photo for your self portrait instead of your imagination I think it has something more distinctly "you."
So one part is handling the paint. The other part is drawing something you see. It's okay to draw from your imagination or from memory but drawing things you see will also give you skills to draw from your imagination.
I know you want to paint people you've known and that you might not have photos to work from but also practice your drawing and if possible get someone to sit for you so you can do some sketches from life. Painting or drawing someone sitting in front of you is different than working from photos and will make you better.
I like the process of painting too and seeing the stages. It's cool that you show the works in progress. That would be good for your youtube channel. But I also like it when I look at a painting and see the process, such as seeing pencil drawing in places where the paint hasn't hidden it.
62ef0a0dc65e5ebd45a8072838d062f9.jpg

This one shows some sketching that was done before paint was applied. Some people do ink and watercolor, too. I think the line under her right arm is pencil and then you can see other lines that are thicker and colored that are drawn with a paintbrush.
This is just a random one I found googling "watercolor pencil drawing from life."

@Light Housework I think your self portrait was your best work but there is something happening with your technique that seems like you're getting more comfortable getting the paint to do what you want.
There are two things happening. One is the paint and I think the more you work with it the better you will get. The other is the drawing. Because you were working from a photo for your self portrait instead of your imagination I think it has something more distinctly "you."
So one part is handling the paint. The other part is drawing something you see. It's okay to draw from your imagination or from memory but drawing things you see will also give you skills to draw from your imagination.
I know you want to paint people you've known and that you might not have photos to work from but also practice your drawing and if possible get someone to sit for you so you can do some sketches from life. Painting or drawing someone sitting in front of you is different than working from photos and will make you better.
I like the process of painting too and seeing the stages. It's cool that you show the works in progress. That would be good for your youtube channel. But I also like it when I look at a painting and see the process, such as seeing pencil drawing in places where the paint hasn't hidden it.
62ef0a0dc65e5ebd45a8072838d062f9.jpg

This one shows some sketching that was done before paint was applied. Some people do ink and watercolor, too. I think the line under her right arm is pencil and then you can see other lines that are thicker and colored that are drawn with a paintbrush.
This is just a random one I found googling "watercolor pencil drawing from life."
I'm inept at subtle shadowing. Drawing from life could help with that I suppose. Maybe I'll pay someone to sit for me sometime. Not much. $50 for 3 hours of posing and taking breaks while paint dries.

Tags
* no social life frink advice artie lange awesome bitching blush bored brooms candies chat cheese with your whine? college is tough companionship complaining epiphany episiotomy friendships funny happy i think u stink just lust moaning never to be replaced rabid monkey sad suck my teeth sweet caroline wowzers
Back
Top Bottom